AMD Ryzen reviewers say: - Either experiencing weird results or not recommened for gaming

2 hours ago, RKRiley said:

Why did people expect an 8 core/16 thread to be as good as a 7700k for gaming in the first place?

It's not the number of cores/threads, it's the architecture and IPC. Just because the core/thread count is higher doesn't mean it will perform worse in gaming. It's because the single-threaded IPC per core is still somewhat weak. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Just now, MEC-777 said:

It's not the number of cores/threads, it's the architecture and IPC. Just because the core/thread count is higher doesn't mean it will perform worse in gaming. It's because the single-threaded IPC per core is still somewhat weak. 

Think it's more complicated than that.
Single threaded performance seems to be strong in particular workloads. But not in gaming.

36 minutes ago, Brainless906 said:

I have seen almost no reviews that come to that conclusion. Most reviews have it only slightly behind the 7700k in gaming applications

In fact @goodtofufriday just posted a bunch of benchmarks with the 1800x only ~3-7 frames behind the 7700k in the listed games.

You're right, my bad.
I was relaying the GamerNexus scores for AotS, BF1, and Total War: Warhammer

"If you ain't first, you're last"

3 minutes ago, jaggysnake57 said:

in future when some one asks a questtion try doing something like below instead of fanboying all of the page

1 thanks for the table vey nice

2 so a little disappointing if you believed the AMD hype train but still better value vs intel?

It shouldnt be disappointing since the hype positioned to perform between the 7700k and the 6900k, and thats exactly what it does. Its being marketed as a cpu that can do ultra or sometimes 4k settings and also stream at the time time. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

It shouldnt be disappointing since the hype positioned to perform between the 7700k and the 6900k, and thats exactly what it does. Its being marketed as a cpu that can do ultra or sometimes 4k settings and also stream at the time time. 

i thought it was been pitched at a 7700k beater?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Just now, Memories4K said:

You're right, my bad.
I was relaying the GamerNexus scores for AotS, BF1, and Total War: Warhammer

It has its ups and downs but isnt nearly as far behind the 7700k as lots of people are saying. I honestly appreciate your calm reply :)

I can agree that in a gaming standpoint though the 7700k is a better value, my arguement is more that its not really trying to compete with the 7700k and even though its not its not as far behind as some folks are making it out to be, while also competing with the 6900k like its ment to.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

1 minute ago, jaggysnake57 said:

i thought it was been pitched at a 7700k beater?

It was almost always compared to intels 8/10 core offerings. I dont want to say it was never compared to the 7700k oficially because i dont 100 percent know that but im fairly certain, at least officially by amd, it was never supposed to be the 7700k killer. 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

7 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2822-amd-ryzen-r7-1800x-review-premiere-blender-fps-benchmarks/page-7

Quote:

When we approached AMD with these results pre-publication, the company defended its product by suggesting that intentionally creating a GPU bottleneck (read: no longer benchmarking the CPU’s performance) would serve as a great equalizer. AMD asked that we consider 4K benchmarks to more heavily load the GPU, thus reducing workload on the CPU and leveling the playing field. While we fundamentally disagree with this approach to testing, we decided to entertain a mid-step: 1440p, just out of respect for additional numbers driven by potentially realistic use cases. Of course, in some regard, benchmarking CPUs at 4K would be analogous to benchmarking GPUs at 720p: The conclusion would be that every GPU is “the same,” since they’d all choke on the CPU. Same idea here, just the inverse.

This is what grinded my gears about Steve's review

I'm not surprised.  I got the performance as I expected.

As NCIX Tech Tips said, less cores/threads at a much higher clock speed should (in theory) have better single core performance.

We know the Ryzen 7 line is great for workstations, productivity, rendering, etc.

I'm going to wait to see what R5 and R3 bring.

I forgot to add, LTT, Tech City, Paul's Hardware, and NCIX Tech Tips all still recommend the Ryzen series.  Tech City even mentioned to wait for Ryzen 5 and 3 if all you want to do is pure gaming.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

If you ask me it's probably a lot of optimization that's needed for gaming at least, considering that in CPU performance tests the Ryzen CPUs come very close and sometimes beat the 6900k. Also, could you please fix your title? The typos are REALLY bugging me.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, Brainless906 said:

It has its ups and downs but isnt nearly as far behind the 7700k as lots of people are saying. I honestly appreciate your calm reply :)

I can agree that in a gaming standpoint though the 7700k is a better value, my arguement is more that its not really trying to compete with the 7700k and even though its not its not as far behind as some folks are making it out to be, while also competing with the 6900k like its ment to.

I think the 1800X (actually even better the 1700, check out Joker's video) competes well with the 6900k.
But even in gaming it's quite a margin behind the 6900k.
For productivity work, i'm all there with you; Much better value, even for gaming than the 6900k.
Not so much for the 7700k, but i never believed it would overtake the 7700k.
But i have to ask why it is that the 1800X is so much worse than the competing 8-core on these tasks and what it spells for AMD's R3/R5 line-up.

2 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

It seems they kind of released it prematurely to me. Drivers are not ready. Memory issues. R5 not ready. Would love to see their reasoning for this.

The whole SMT off/on performance gain is expected, as Intel has had trouble before.
But yeah there seems to be some kind of driver/memory/BIOS issues, reviews seem to be a bit unstable even within the reason that the 1800X isn't going to be the best at gaming; the data shown within that realm is still confusing

3 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

I think the 1800X (actually even better the 1700, check out Joker's video) competes well with the 6900k.
But even in gaming it's quite a margin behind the 6900k.
For productivity work, i'm all there with you; Much better value, even for gaming than the 6900k.
Not so much for the 7700k, but i never believed it would overtake the 7700k.
But i have to ask why it is that the 1800X is so much worse than the competing 8-core on these tasks and what it spells for AMD's R3/R5 line-up.

I think that has a lot to do with the SMT issue, and will hopefully be ironed out with firmware and driver updates. Intels had issues in the past with hyperthreading causing weirdness as well, they've just had years to iron it out.

i5 here I come.

15 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

It's the end single core performance, clock speed and IPC combined. Something that Ryzen 7 (and X99 CPUs) will always struggle with matching due to power and thermal limitations.

More cores take more power, and release more heat, to reach higher clocks. The amount of power it takes to hit higher clocks rises exponentially, and so does heat. That limits how high AMD and Intel can set stock clocks, and boost clocks, as they have to work within the confines of lower end coolers to counteract consumer stupidity. It also limits overclocking potential on air and water, as coolers for either cannot carry heat away fast enough to achieve higher OCs.

Let's assume my 5930K is absolutely average, on water, I'd likely see an OC of 4.4GHz on water. With an average 4790K, same architecture, that number would be 4.8GHz.

Change the coolers to Cascade cooling, and I could get to 5GHz on my 5930K, but on the other hand, the 4790K can hit 5.45GHz.

Simply due to the fact that the 5930K outputs more heat, and that trend is one that won't change.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Good god this thread is depressing... On one had we have zMuel and the band of people who're just bashing an 8 core cpu for not beating a 4 core in gaming and saying it's trash... Then again I really don't expect any better on LTT forums, here's just as bad as  /r/AMD when it comes to using common sense

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

Good god this thread is depressing... On one had we have zMuel and the band of people who're just basing an 8 core cpu for not beating a 4 core in gaming and saying it's trash... Then again I really don't expect any better on LTT forums, here's just as bad as  /r/AMD when it comes to using common sense

Would you like to hear a story about how the 1800x doenst beat the 7700k in 1080p gaming benchmarks and because of it is a complete failure and amd is literally dead? Its a good one :D

Just now, Brainless906 said:

Would you like to hear a story about how the 1800x doenst beat the 7700k in 1080p gaming benchmarks and because of it is a complete failure and amd is literally dead? Its a good one :D

Yes sir, I have some tea ready too !

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 minute ago, Brainless906 said:

No thanks, not into alternate history unless aliens are involved, and there is a lack of pants.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

14 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Yes sir, I have some tea ready too !

One time, in a land far far away, God-Queen Dr. Su built us a wonderful and magical 8 core 16 threaded monster priced at an extremely affordable $499.99. But just then 90 percent of hardware reviewers and intel trolls had at least 3 and a half strokes, and presumably big ones at that. They shared slide after slide of 1080p gaming benchmarks with the 7700k ahead slightly (usually 3-8 frames, though in random extreme cases up to 23 percent) of the wonderful (and manly, also hansom) 1800x, all the while ranting and raving about how extremely disappointing this was was and how AMD was literally the worst thing ever. They of course completely ignored the fact that on these same slides the $1,050 dollar 6900k on the same slides was also being absolutely smashed by the 7700k in these 1080p gaming benchmarks, for those facts were evil and would besmirtch the strong blue name of Intel! 

And thus is the saga of the 1800x

P.S. Im bad at writings.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention all the chapters of AMD always comparing it to the intel 8/10 core offerings (which against it did extremely well considering its price) and sloting it in nicely in between the 7700k and the 6900k and litterally marketing it as a CPU that can do both. You know, i forgot the same way intel nerds always conveniently forget and instead constantly compare it to a 7700k

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No thanks, not into alternate history unless aliens are involved, and there is a lack of pants.

Also there was an alien without pants, you cant say there wasnt, you werent there. 

Ok so apart from handbreak which no one uses and cinebench which means nothing, AMD is a failure once again.

1 minute ago, Darth Revan said:

Ok so apart from handbreak which no one uses and cinebench which means nothing, AMD is a failure once again.

ah, in the same way the 6900k is a failure then yes? 
but you know, at half the cost, and double the price to performance.

Just now, Brainless906 said:

Also there was an alien without pants, you cant say there wasnt, you werent there. 

I think we've learned from Independence Day, the Alien franchise, and Rick & Morty, that aliens prefer not wear pants anyways. Much like the domesticated Markiplier.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Hindsight is 20/20. The way AMD was marketing Ryzen made me believe it'd be a solid contender in the gaming sector. Maybe it's my fault for not paying close enough attention. For the record, AMD did compare the 1800X to a 7700K and it showed a massive performance advantage over the 7700K, but looking back they didn't compare gaming benchmarks and instead did cinebench scores. Which obviously isn't a fair comparison.

Pissed at myself for falling for the hype. My patience has worn thin too. I don't think I can hold out till "sometime" in Q2 for R5/3s. Could be in April or maybe June. Who knows, just more waiting and time to be fed more info and have to learn more things for potentially no reason.