should video games be a offical sport

Trendwalker

should video games be a offical sport   

43 members have voted

1. 1. should video games be a offical sport i know there is esport but i mean like a offical sport like football

• yes
    • no

i know there is epsport but i meaning as in a offical on tv like football type of sport 

Uh watch it on TV? Why not watch in on computer? What difference would that make? Esport is already being live streamed to twitch and youtube.

I voted yes but I don't need it to be a sport.

I want it to be acknowledged as a competitive scene by people that are not actually gamers.

For example, my mum still thinks that video games (all of them) are just for little kids.

It's already been on tv a couple of times. I saw a CSGO tournament on TNT a few weeks ago

Hello

in the traditional sense, it's not a sport.

it's in the same category as chess IMO. (but with a lot more action)

so it might be broadcast on TV one day, but the distinction between Esports and Sports is one we need to make.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

When VR games become popular where you will start needing athletic abilities then those games could count as a sport. For now I would say they should stay classed as esports if you play at a competitive level. 

10 minutes ago, Trendwalker said:

i know there is epsport but i meaning as in a offical on tv like football type of sport 

Yep, saw a Overwatch and CS:GO tornament on TV (Eleague Major Atlanta). It's really requires a lot of skill.

im not looking to piss off anyone im just wanting peoples opinions

27 minutes ago, zMeul said:

e-sports are not sports - not every competitive game is a sport

"pro gamers" are not athletes 

can you explain your reasoning  why you say that 

1 minute ago, Trendwalker said:

sports are about physical prowess and skill

clicking a mouse is not in any way shape or form physical prowess - monkeys can do it

2 minutes ago, Trendwalker said:

So I am 100% in support of "Esports" being treated as a competitive platform, and viewed as something that can be consumed like traditional sports. I also respect the amount of effort that goes into someone becoming a "pro" gamer.

I however only define sports as something that doesn't just involve mental, but physical competition. I don't think of pro gamers as athletes, but I do think of them as professionals within their competitive platform.

I grew up playing sports, and I can tell anyone from personal experience, that while the amount of time and effort that goes into becoming great at anything competitive can be compared, that comparing e-sports to physical sports is like comparing someone who fly's remote planes, to someone who fly's actual planes. In E-sports there is never any real danger to those competing, your in a controlled environment. In physical sports there is always a risk to those competing on a very real level. There is also not any cross platforming. Someone who is the champion at a video game about boxing, taken against a champion boxer would get destroyed. Where if you take that boxer, give him a controller and have him play for a few hours he can probably "play" maybe not competitively, but that nature of video games is they are meant to be accessible.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

e-sports are not sports - not every competitive game is a sport

"pro gamers" are not athletes 

By that logic, NASCAR isnt a sport either. And dont even try to say "it takes athleticism" to drive those cars. Have you seen Tony Stewart recently?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

By that logic, NASCAR isnt a sport either. And dont even try to say "it takes athleticism" to drive those cars. Have you seen Tony Stewart recently?

I dunno about NASCAR, but .. F1 is an actual sport - pilots have to do extensive physical training to be able to pilot the cars for the duration of the race

All drivers who enter Formula One need to undergo a period of conditioning to cope with the physical demands of the sport: no other race series on earth requires so much of its drivers in terms of stamina and endurance. The vast loadings that Formula One cars are capable of creating, anything up to a sustained 3.5 g of cornering force, for example, means drivers have to be enormously strong to be able to last for full race distances. The extreme heat found in a Formula One cockpit, especially at the hotter rounds of the championship, also puts vast strain on the body: drivers can sweat off anything up to 3kg of their body weight during the course of a race.

1 minute ago, Thinkfreely said:

In E-sports there is never any real danger to those competing, your in a controlled environment. 

There is a strong chance of a mental or emotional breakdown during something like this

Hello

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I dunno about NASCAR, but .. WRC, F1 are actual sports - pilots have to do extensive physical training to be able to pilot the cars for the duration of the race

Example #2: Shooting. Definitely a sport (and I'm not talking about hunting either)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

In South Korea, video game competitions are as big as the NFL in the US.

11 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

I however only define sports as something that doesn't just involve mental, but physical competition.

I would argue though that some sports don't involve a lot of physical competition. At least not to the point where you need to look like you hit the gym every day. For example, shooting competitions. The fastest six-shooter doesn't look like an athlete at all. Similarly certain types of fishing could also count.

I'd even argue golfing doesn't take a whole lot of physical competition. Sure it could help you swing harder, but I'm sure a lot of those people aren't marathon runners.

And bowling.

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Example #2: Shooting. Definitely a sport (and I'm not talking about hunting either)

@M.Yurizaki

shooting (firearms) by itself is not a sport

when combined with something else, it is, like biathlon

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

@M.Yurizaki

shooting (firearms) by itself is not a sport

when combined with something else, it is, like biathlon

https://www.olympic.org/shooting

The Olympics include many shooting competitions that are not in a combination event.

If sports are defined as physical competition, not mental competition, then chess is not a sport.

But chess is a sport.

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

https://www.olympic.org/shooting

The Olympics include many shooting competitions that are not in a combination event.

don't give a shit what some olympic forum said, I do not consider shooting a sport

compare that to archery ^_^

but today's archery, compound bows, have diluted the sport

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

don't give a shit what some olympic forum said, I do not consider shooting a sport

compare that to archery ^_^

but today's archery, compound bows, have diluted the sport

Uh... It's not "some olympic forum." It's the actual Olympics website.

Also, according to SportAccord (taken from https://web.archive.org/web/20111028112912/http://www.sportaccord.com/en/members/index.php?idIndex=32&idContent=14881)

The SportAccord definition of sport

With regard to new applications, SportAccord uses the following definition of a sport:

• The sport proposed should have an element of competition.
  • The sport proposed should in no way be harmful to any living creatures.
  • The sport should not rely on equipment that is provided by a single supplier.
  • The sport should not rely on any “luck” element specifically designed into the sport.

Furthermore,

• Applications from martial arts and combat sports will be considered with the greatest care due to the complex nature and relatively minor differences between various martial arts and combat sports.
  • Applications from mind games will only be considered after consultation with the International Mind Sports Association.
  • Applications from sports with limited physical or athletic activity will be considered with the utmost care.

Competitive online games are electronic sports, because like a sport they have teams, purpose, rules etc... but they are not just ´´sports´´ because they require the electronic part.

so do note that I am not saying games are not sports as a whole but that they are a more specific category which we call e-sports, it is not the exact same thing as football but quite similar.

I do think that it makes not much sense pass on the normal TV, as all those interested will have a HTPC or similar with access to twitch, youtube etc which is the future... cable TV as it is nowadays should die.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)