should video games be a offical sport

Trendwalker

should video games be a offical sport   

43 members have voted

1. 1. should video games be a offical sport i know there is esport but i mean like a offical sport like football

• yes
    • no

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

don't give a shit what some olympic forum said, I do not consider shooting a sport

compare that to archery ^_^

but today's archery, compound bows, have diluted the sport

Shooting is no less a sport than archery is.  

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Applications from sports with limited physical or athletic activity will be considered with the utmost care.

and this is where shooting and video game competitions fail, hard

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

In South Korea, video game competitions are as big as the NFL in the US.

Like I said I support E-sports 100% I just don't define it in the same category as physical sports.

11 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'd even argue golfing doesn't take a whole lot of physical competition

If you have ever golfed, you know its not true. Not the most physically demanding for sure, but if your completely out of shape it makes a huge difference. I also like to walk the course instead of a cart unless is like 100 degrees or something.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Shooting is no less a sport than archery is.  

yes, there is

any 3y old can pick a handgun and shoot at a target

not any 3y a compound bow and shoot at a target

that's what makes the difference between a sport and a "insert name here" competition

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

yes, there is

Not any 3 y/o can pick up a handgun and shoot a target. Most kids wouldn't figure out how to rack a slide, let alone aim a gun. Any Joe can shoot a bow, just as any Joe can shoot a gun. It takes skill and practice to get good at either, but anybody can do them realistically speaking (except 3 year-olds.)

You put way too much emphasis on the "physical" part of sports. Archery is barely more physical than shooting. You pull a string and point a bow. With shooting, you point a gun and pull a trigger. I highly respect both champion archers as well as champion shooters. But, I don't think making you move your arm a bit more puts archery in a whole different league than shooting.

And yes, I've done both quite a lot. 

I used to be quite active here.

13 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

Like I said I support E-sports 100% I just don't define it in the same category as physical sports.

If you have ever golfed, you know its not true. Not the most physically demanding for sure, but if your completely out of shape it makes a huge difference. I also like to walk the course instead of a cart unless is like 100 degrees or something.

I did 18 holes of golf once.  SO MUCH WALKING.  ?

I was very tired and worn out after that.

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

yes, there is

that's what makes the difference between a sport and a "insert name here" competition

Pick up a gun?  Maybe.   Actually use it well and show high proficiency?  Hell no.

They're both firing a projectile at a target.  It's the same idea just with a different weapon in either case.  

7 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Pick up a gun?  Maybe.   Actually use it well and show high proficiency?  Hell no.

They're both firing a projectile at a target.  It's the same idea just with a different weapon in either case.  

you sir, have no clue what you're talking about

same with @Kobathor - he even said he practiced archery ... jeez! you want me to believe you!? ha!

firing a piston is nothing more that understanding the basics of pointing and shooting

releasing an arrow takes actual physical strength to pull the string

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

releasing an arrow takes actual physical strength to pull the string

And it takes physical strength to hold up a 15lb rifle 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

50 minutes ago, zMeul said:

don't give a shit what some olympic forum said, I do not consider shooting a sport

compare that to archery ^_^

but today's archery, compound bows, have diluted the sport

I just want you to know that I love your posts.  You remind me of the annoying another nosed kid in my second grade class that nobody liked for good reason.

9 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

And it takes physical strength to hold up a 15lb rifle 

a .22 LR Ruger mk4 competition pistol is ~1Kg

a Ruger mk4 22/45 lite pistol is ~600grams

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

a .22 LR Ruger mk4 competition pistol is ~1Kg

a Ruger mk4 22/45 lite pistol is ~600grams

Since you seem to have selective vision, i'll refer to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Since you seem to have selective vision, i'll refer to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle

you are the one having selecting vision, competitive shooting is not limited to rifles

there are also shotguns and pistols

I even specified "handgun"

handguns are of two types:

• revolvers
  • pistols

30 minutes ago, zMeul said:

you sir, have no clue what you're talking about

same with @Kobathor - he even said he practiced archery ... jeez! you want me to believe you!? ha!

Have you? Ever shot a gun, either? I think you're insanely biased because you like archery or something.

I used to be quite active here.

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

you are the one having selecting vision, competitive shooting is not limited to rifles

there are also shotguns and pistols

I even specified "handgun"

handguns are of two types:

• revolvers
  • pistols

As you yourself noted, there are also different types of bows including

Long bow

Comound bow

Crossbow

Yet this is a sport regardless and shooting isnt. F1 racing is a sport but NASCAR is iffy. Do you have any objections to fishing too?

You are a very narrow minded person sir. Good day to you.

I think they are. You have the term sports which is an umbrella term that can cover a  wide range of competitions. More specifically you have traditional sports like hockey, football, rugby. Then you have motor sports which add a mechanical component and therefore need some different skills. You can have aquatic sports, summer sports ect. They all have something common to them. So you can also have esports which all require a computer. So they are a sport and more specifically are an esport with their own specific needs to be successful. 

I also don't see anyone claiming that pro gamers are athletes as athletes are physically strong/fit, something that is not required for esports. However you don't need to be competing in a sport to be an athlete so I don't see why everyone playing sports is also an athlete. They are separate things.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

It is sport already.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Well A lot of sports are based on precision, control and reactions. For some games, these are also traits that you need to have. So yeah, I guess they should be.
I mean, if darts is a sport, then yeah.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Well as other people said, if chess and dart + poker is a sport why not video games?

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you