The 'Fappening' hackers have been sentenced!

The Fappening Hackers Sentence Results  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Was the sentence fair?

• They got too little time!
    • Don't think they should have been charged at all...
    • Eh, we could care less.
    • They should be put away for life!
    • Yes, they got what they deserved.

Well we all knew it was coming, they had to end up getting something after such a huge breach like that, two of the people involved in the CelebGate hack are in prison.

Ryan Collins serving 18 months for violation of the Computer Fraud and Misuse Act and Edward Majercyzk sentenced to 9 months in Federal Prison. Edward also got a $5,700 fine for restitution repayments to one of the celebrities that had the iCloud breached.

Edward agreed to a plea deal last year, allowing for the prosecutors to recommend a 9 month sentence. He would also be required to pay $5,700 to an unnamed victim of the hack who had spent over $11,000 on counselling following the leak.

If they knew half of the stuff that goes on we would all be in trouble...

Well suppose this serves a reminder that the stuff we do behind the keyboard has real life consequences  :|:|

Sources : 

https://www.mindblank.org/celebgate-hackers-sentenced-to-federal-prison/

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/26/second-celebgate-hacker-sentenced-to-nine-months-in-prison/

I'd have given them some more time, make them an example of sorts. One thing is hacking icloud to show your 1337 5k1llz, another is invading an innocent person's private life.

Granted, having naked pictures of yourself anywhere on the internet is a bad idea, but I guess this story might serve as a cautionary tale for both sides.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yeah it wasn't just the 30 celebrities that were affected these two are also responsible for over 300 others that had their private photos leaked!

Hmm hard question Op, on one hand i think there should be no prison time maybe house arrest and computer ban for 12 months. On the other i think if this happened to me id want them to rot in jail forever lol.

I do think what they got is a bit excessive speaking as a bystander  but like i said if it was me i still wouldnt be happy.

on one side the leaked people's private stuff, on the other they gave me the best fap material ever. 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Couldn't care less about the this thing, sure it's a bad thing what they did though. Meh, oh wow naked human body, who haves that huh...
Also, victims are stupid, you like to admit it or not. If I would want to store naked media online or use service like Snapchat I would at least go with mentality: "well if it possibly gets hacked or so, fuck it" cause I'm aware of such thing. Not being aware that it's possible that such data can be breached is delusional, ignorant which makes it irresponsible.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Why is the question for the poll 'Was the sentence fair?' but then NONE of the possible answers are 'Yes, I think it was fair'?  One answer is 'I don't care', another is 'They got two much' and two are 'they should get more'.  Why did you set this poll up like this?

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Why is the question for the poll 'Was the sentence fair?' but then NONE of the possible answers are 'Yes, I think it was fair'?  One answer is 'I don't care', another is 'They got two much' and two are 'they should get more'.  Why did you set this poll up like this?

Good point, haha. Kinda made that poll in a rush. Updated the poll (Though i know the results are now biased).

They should start their own tissue company when released.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Better call Ghostbusters to get that spooky ghost.

i dont know who you are but i haven't seen you before

congrats on mod?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

It's interesting to see how this fucked up world works. If they would've "hacked" into just regular people's icloud accounts, they would've gone scot-free. Because no one would care about some random person who's nobody.

But since we're talking about celebrities, they will be punished.

Yea, I'm of the opinion that the sentences are negligible in length, I would have preferred 2-5 years.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

25 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

It's interesting to see how this fucked up world works. If they would've "hacked" into just regular people's icloud accounts, they would've gone scot-free. Because no one would care about some random person who's nobody.

Honestly I disagree, the types of sentence they where given are pretty much in line with what normal hacking will get you, which coincidentally is a lot less than what you get in the US for sharing copyrighted content. Courts didn't seem to factor in the fact that it was a high profile case.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

Those idiots called celebrities got what they deserved. Never store anything in the cloud unless you encrypted it before upload and store the keys at a safe location(preferably an offline machine).

1 hour ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

Honestly I disagree, the types of sentence they where given are pretty much in line with what normal hacking will get you, which coincidentally is a lot less than what you get in the US for sharing copyrighted content. Courts didn't seem to factor in the fact that it was a high profile case.

maybe the biass is more in the prosecution. i get why people feel this way because i never heard of someone hearing back about the hack they filed a report about by the police.

2 hours ago, themctipers said:

i dont know who you are but i haven't seen you before

congrats on mod?

Are you serious lol?

2 hours ago, Darth Revan said:

Hardline disagree with you. Regular people who do regular hacking, get convicted all the time. We just don't see it on International headlines because who cares? The only reason you've even heard about the conviction was because they were celebrities. Not much would change if they had been random people instead.

44 minutes ago, tlink said:

maybe the biass is more in the prosecution. i get why people feel this way because i never heard of someone hearing back about the hack they filed a report about by the police.

That's simply because those kinds of news reports aren't interesting enough. You might see some local headlines now and then about hacking, but if the hacker is targeting regular folks, then the trial and conviction simply won't reach the major headlines. It still happens though.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

wasnt it just phishing? So it's the "victims" fault for being so stupid.

And i can see that unnamed celebrity really needing that 5.7k.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

wasnt it just phishing? So it's the "victims" fault for being so stupid.

And i can see that unnamed celebrity really needing that 5.7k.

If I recall correctly, it was mostly Social Engineering that allowed the "hacker" access to all the iCloud accounts.

You can blame the celebs if you want, but Social Engineering and Phishing are very real problems everyone faces, not just celebs. Sure some are obvious, but others are so convincing that most people wouldn't know it was a problem until far too late.

Whether the celebrity needed that money or not, is utterly unimportant. These kinds of posts seem like they are jealousy or anger at celebrities being wealthy/successful. Would you be just as mad if some random Single-parent Mother of 3 was awarded the $5.7K USD, had her nudes been hacked?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

27 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Are you serious lol?

yes i am?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

yes i am?

Totally off topic man, kind of a pointless post. PM him if you want to congrats him on being a Mod. Not to mention he's been a mod for ages...