Asus Kaby Lake motherboards (Updated)

NumLock21
1 hour ago, arnavvr said:

U.2 my friend.

Used by basically nobody that cares about ITX, lol. M.2 would have been a much better alternative, especially if placed on the bottom of the board. Saving cables within an ITX case is ideal, and M.2 is perfect for that without adding additional height beyond that of your typical standoffs.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

On 11/29/2016 at 7:03 PM, Flitter said:

This excites me for what they'll do for Zen.. :ph34r:

8 tentacles

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Why do some of those boards look like there's covers around the PCIE slots?  

That seems to me like it could make installing things like GPUs and wifi cards annoying...

Maximus IX Formula looks great. 

Maximus IX Impact needs to happen though. Those little boards are great. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

4 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Maximus IX Formula looks great. 

Maximus IX Impact needs to happen though. Those little boards are great. 

I own a Maximus VII Impact: can confirm :P Excellent motherboards.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Waiting for Gigabyte GA-Z270x-UD3 Ultra or Gigabyte GA-Z270x Designaire or Gigabyte GA-Z270x Deisgnair EX and hope they would be blue. I don't like the overly black on ASUS stuff 

Too bad their customer support is garbage in the UK...(and yes, I own(ed) 5 Asus products and blame it on deals...how was I gonna say no to a 100 quid z77 sabertooth (new) or a 180 pound white x99 motherboard (new as well) or a 120 quid RX470?)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

When your 2014 LGA1150 motherboard looks like alien tech when compared to Tuff motherboards from 2016....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

They certainly look flashy and carry several audio, overclocking and networking additional functionalities that home users can appreciate, but like i learned from my mistake of buying a motherboard that promised "great tools of easy and effective use", i ended up with a motherboard whose green port didnt rapidly charge my devices .-. and its network features were never used, because they were so flippin useless. Its overclocking AI Suite 3 was also useless, most of the time since i saw no performance benefits or more efficient usage overhaul, just a computer that made less noise and heated up way more significantly, altough the CPU was locked it suddenly got a 20Cº increase (did that stupid program just bumped the voltage to insane levels on a locked cpu o-O?)

Moral of the story for me is not to trust flashy motherboards and no matter what, 150-250€ is the absolute max someone should spend on one, not 350-600€ for something whose advertised workarounds dont even function properly or have any use case x-x! Z87-Deluxe from Asus btw...

I wouldnt mind getting a Tuf one, since that monitoring app from your phone and that UEFI bios is quite well done :p.

Groomlake Authority

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Why do some of those boards look like there's covers around the PCIE slots?  

That seems to me like it could make installing things like GPUs and wifi cards annoying...

Its metal that makes the slot stiffer. Helps if you have a super heavy card like a triple fan or triple slot card

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

14 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Its metal that makes the slot stiffer. Helps if you have a super heavy card like a triple fan or triple slot card

But it looks like it's going around the slots which would seem to restrict your ability to easily plug cards in including getting in the way of being able to press the lever/thing to release the GPU that x16 slots have.  

If you look at a picture of my Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 you can see what seems to me to be a better implementation of what the idea you mention of reinforcing the PCIE slots.  

Gigabyte made the slots themselves stronger in theory rather than putting a cover around but not actually part of the slots like it appears ASUS is doing.   

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

But it looks like it's going around the slots which would seem to restrict your ability to easily plug cards in including getting in the way of being able to press the lever/thing to release the GPU that x16 slots have.  

If you look at a picture of my Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 you can see what seems to me to be a better implementation of what the idea you mention of reinforcing the PCIE slots.  

Gigabyte made the slots themselves stronger in theory rather than putting a cover around but not actually part of the slots like it appears ASUS is doing.   

Theres not mutliple angles so we dont know what they did exact but it didnt look like it blocked the slot when I looked at it

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

26 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Theres not mutliple angles so we dont know what they did exact but it didnt look like it blocked the slot when I looked at it

See how the slots are recessed behind/under the cover things that are around the PCIE slots?  

It certainly appears to me that this design would either prevent or in some way interfere with plugging in x1 cards like for wifi and also GPUs.  

image.png

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

See how the slots are recessed behind/under the cover things that are around the PCIE slots?  

It certainly appears to me that this design would either prevent or in some way interfere with plugging in x1 cards like for wifi and also GPUs.  

OOOOOOOH THAT. Nah I dont think so. I thought you were talking that the metal on the PCIe slots

Spoiler

AXIOM

15 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

OOOOOOOH THAT. Nah I dont think so. I thought you were talking that the metal on the PCIe slots

Yes THAT.  lol

I hope not.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.  

18 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

Like amp extreme or strix or Any card with a waterblock on it

20 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Waiting for Gigabyte GA-Z270x-UD3 Ultra or Gigabyte GA-Z270x Designaire or Gigabyte GA-Z270x Deisgnair EX and hope they would be blue. I don't like the overly black on ASUS stuff 

Their signature colors have been white and black but the ROG (most marketable product) has the gamers combo

Although I  liked the designare  z 170  board

37 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I sort of hope all the LEDs on the IX Formula are RGB, it sounded like the PCH and a few parts wold have RGB LEDs 

They're all RGB just like the current one.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

They're all RGB just like the current one.

Okay because it sounded like only certain parts would be RGB on the IX Formula, like the LED under the plate that says "Republic of Gamers" .

I'm sure it won't be a cheap mobo, but I'd consider getting the Maximus IX Formula or Code depending on whether I wanted an integrated I/O shield or not and if there would be any noticeable price difference. Which I guess I can sort of justify spending a little more on an even nicer mobo since I'm likely to be going with an i7 6700K or i7 7700K.

The nice thing about my new job is that even though checks/cheques are weekly and I technically make 25 cents less therefore smaller checks/cheques, I hope to keep my weekly average at 18-20 hours, my previous job raised me to 10/hr and was cutting back my hours. 

The thing is if I want a more expensive part, I'd likely only have to wait an extra week to afford that part.

What's $200 extra if its looks are more in line with what sort of aesthetic you were aiming for and if the functionality is the same or better than the cheaper board?

For $120 more than the 6600K I was going to get, I get a CPU that will likely be usable a bit longer than the i5 would.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

10 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Okay because it sounded like only certain parts would be RGB on the IX Formula, like the LED under the plate that says "Republic of Gamers" .

I'm sure it won't be a cheap mobo, but I'd consider getting the Maximus IX Formula or Code depending on whether I wanted an integrated I/O shield or not and if there would be any noticeable price difference. Which I guess I can sort of justify spending a little more on an even nicer mobo since I'm likely to be going with an i7 6700K or i7 7700K.

The nice thing about my new job is that even though checks/cheques are weekly and I technically make 25 cents less therefore smaller checks/cheques, I hope to keep my weekly average at 18-20 hours, my previous job raised me to 10/hr and was cutting back my hours. 

The thing is if I want a more expensive part, I'd likely only have to wait an extra week to afford that part.

What's $200 extra if its looks are more in line with what sort of aesthetic you were aiming for and if the functionality is the same or better than the cheaper board?

For $120 more than the 6600K I was going to get, I get a CPU that will likely be usable a bit longer than the i5 would.

Cheaper board will not have a exclusive feature found on the formula.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

6 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Cheaper board will not have a exclusive feature found on the formula.

That too, Asus does pack more on to/with the $400 mobo things that say a $140 MSI mobo wouldn't have.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

On 11/29/2016 at 4:49 PM, aries757 said:

*Faps to hotness of motherboards* OH BBY A TRIPPLE

There is this thing called the "<snip>" its a great feature to use.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It looks like the Formula, the Code, and the Sabertooth have dual m.2 slots, although the second is not visible. I say this because 1; all the other boards have dual m.2 and ASUS wouldn't include MORE m.2 slots on lower end models, and 2; there are covers with screws on them that look similar to the m.2 covers of the VIII Formula. There's also the funny looking vertical m.2 slot, at the bottom of these boards, which also appeared on some of ASUS' X99 boards.

Just some analysis that might be helpful to someone out there.