Unpopular Opinion Thread

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

From your statement there, I have no doubt you would enjoy Malazan Book of the Fallen. It is a masterpiece of a series.

I will absolutely give them a shot. ^_^ I don't read that much, but when I get into something I read everything there is about it. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I prefer razer's switches in their keyboards over cherry.

Although, haven't tried that new cherry speed switch, supposedly its supposed to be pretty good.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

mechanical kb is a waste

blue is the best color

gtx 080 is not overkill at 720p

18 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

gtx 080 is not overkill at 720p

You mean 1080? How is that not overkill? 

Just now, Bouzoo said:

You mean 1080? How is that not overkill? 

1080 yes is is unplopular opinion

5 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I can read those books in 5-9 hours each and get all those details and more.

No you cant. Unless you are highly trained in hiper speed reading,you cant.

When i was younger i used to read 1 book per week, for 3+ years.

I developed fast Reading, but still,GoT is a very big book. The brazilian edition's pages are 2x bigger than any other book (the pages are big and letters are small). I usually read 1page/min, an in GoT it would be almost halfpage/min. I remember Reading the second book in 4 Days, because i literaly had nothing to do and spent most of the day Reading.

The book is complex, you cant Just read as fast as you can and get everything. Its not a heavy Reading, but not light. So if you can read the smallest GoT in 9 hours, you are superhuman. The majority on People cant.

And since People are talking about books, the "Name of the Wind" séries is fantastic. Really, mind blowing.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

i don't care about any brands as long as there products work (including nvidia and amd , intel, apple ,samsung (as long as they don't explode))

23 minutes ago, Taja said:

I developed fast Reading, but still,GoT is a very big book. The brazilian edition's pages are 2x bigger than any other book (the pages are big and letters are small). I usually read 1page/min, an in GoT it would be almost halfpage/min. I remember Reading the second book in 4 Days, because i literaly had nothing to do and spent most of the day Reading.

The book is complex, you cant Just read as fast as you can and get everything. Its not a heavy Reading, but not light. So if you can read the smallest GoT in 9 hours, you are superhuman. The majority on People cant.

And since People are talking about books, the "Name of the Wind" séries is fantastic. Really, mind blowing.

I am an extremely strong reader in my native language (english). I have timed myself on that series (it is a general practice of mine to time myself on all books I read, not ever looking at the clock ofc till I'm done), and the first book my first time took me 7h 13m (I generally read books the first time in one sitting, it's just what I do, even if it takes 14+ hours). Years ago when a book would come in the mail or I would go to the library and pick one up, I would stay up well past 5am reading if that is what it took (I plan better now so reading past 3 doesn't happen much anymore).

The english paperback is 703 pages. For standard fiction of similar difficulty, with similar text per page, my standard rate is 70-120 pages per hour on a first pass (the more comedic a book is the slower I tend to read it because I reread entire sections at once).

I first read those 5 books three summers ago, the last one being finished 8 days after the first (on three of the books I had to use multiple sittings due to work unfortunately). Since then I have reread the series at least 6 times (before each season of the TV show and some other occasions).

Also I read a lot... At least 4000 pages of literature a week (at least every third weekend is devoted to rereading books, because I love doing that, plus it gets highly efficient, reread inheritance over the last two nights). Some of the reading is scientific papers, which are much slower, but most of it is fiction or at least not particularly difficult non-fiction.

Obviously word count is a more accurate representation of reading speed, but that is harder to measure and fewer people have an intuitive understanding of what x words per hour means.

Name of the wind was very good, I am looking forward to the end of the trilogy whenever it comes out (I generally try to avoid unfinished series for this reason).

I know full well my reading rate is ludicrously irregular compared to most people, but it also means I have huge issues getting a similar bang for the buck (time investment wise) watching movies, which was my anecdotal point anyways.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Using your computer in the dark to game or general use is weird.

PC: EVGA GTX680, i5 2500K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Gigabyte Z68-GA-UD3P, 120GB OCZ SSD, 2x1TB WD Greens, Corsair 600t, Corsair AX750, Corsair H100i, ASUS MX239H, Corsair K60 + M60. 

Overwatch is not that good of a game. I mean it's kind of fun but it doesn't deserve all the credit it gets IMO

I hate Asus.

I love Windows 10 Mobile.

I think that Nvidia sucks. I think discord is a pain in the ass to use.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 10/14/2016 at 0:45 PM, Curufinwe_wins said:

Oh god... you need to read better books then....

Movies are far too slow for my taste and too shallow. I still enjoy them, but I read top notch fantasy at 100 pages an hour, often that which would take hours to properly express in movies.

Game of thrones is a great example, for all the hype of the TV show, it is but a shallow draft of the books and yet it spends almost 14 hours on average getting through one of them. I can read those books in 5-9 hours each and get all those details and more.

No movie has ever been as moving as a fraction of the books I've readone, nor as funny, or as well thought out.

If you want a introduction to real rationalist fiction (it is impossible to not be amused and moved by it), I'd recommend checking out Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. 

So agree.  I usually only watch movies for quick laugh (reason I like kid's movies), or for just stupid over crazy explosions.  Half the time their shallow as a rain puddle.

Ugh, movies base on books.  Think the top offender is the Golden Compass.  I so want to smack the crap out of those people.  They screwed it up so badly.  I have no doubt the Arrival is going to be even a worse offender since it base on the "Story of my Life" novel.  Great little book, but by what the trailer showed they already Hollywoodfied it.

On 10/14/2016 at 6:15 PM, Taja said:

Should meet my Dad.  He reads books like those in under a Day or less. That considering he is up there in age now.

But agree on "The Name of the Wind".  Awesome book, I put right at the near the top of my list of favorite books.  Have you read the sequel "Wise Man's Fear" ?  It is just as good as the first book.  My top favorite to this day is still "The Zero Stone" by Andre Norton.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Robert Smith from Ohio is an Authorized Windows Tech Support agent. 

9 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I think discord is a pain in the ass to use.

I haven't noticed that it's more complicated than Ventrilo or especially Mumble. 

16 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I haven't noticed that it's more complicated than Ventrilo or especially Mumble. 

I have no idea what either of those programs is nor have I ever heard of them.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

People who had trouble completing the "ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE DAMN TRAIN CJ" mission in GTA: San Andreas are noobs

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I have no idea what either of those programs is nor have I ever heard of them.

Ventrilo/TeamSpeak/Mumble were, and I'd say still are, the 3 biggest programs for voice chatting out there, as far as MP gaming goes. 

You shouldn't use linux on a server.

The end.

Dark themes are horrible. They make text harder to read and they're almost always ugly as sin.

Intel doesn't have too much competition which is why it's giving out not so powerful processor upgrades.

AMD needs to bring their best because if Intel is a dick then AMD is one giant pussy.

Of course, AMD can take a good pounding ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

Why do people consider under 60fps unplayable? I played nearly all my games at 10-15fps on an overheating celeron for 5 FRICKIN YEARS. Did I complain? Maybe a little. PC builders need to understand that some people can't afford 4 way titan xp sli and a 6950x. Mind you, I'm only 11, so I can't really get a job or anything to earn money.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

13 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Why do people consider under 60fps unplayable? I played nearly all my games at 10-15fps on an overheating celeron for 5 FRICKIN YEARS. Did I complain? Maybe a little. PC builders need to understand that some people can't afford 4 way titan xp sli and a 6950x. Mind you, I'm only 11, so I can't really get a job or anything to earn money.

Hehe, a caveman never having used an steel knive, but stone to cut meat will feel like his stone is pro because he doens't know better :)No offense btw...

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

23 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

But you don't need 4 way and a 6950x for 60 fps

Farts should be used as a form of communication.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

That nVidIA cards are overpriced, anD for a good gaming experience you don't need them. An r9 270x is a good card that's pretty standard across people who build their computers.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mf3Zcc My build

R.I.P Donny- Got banned. We will always remember your spamming of "Cancerbooks"

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man