Amazon fined £65k for trying to ship "dangerous goods" by air

ThinkWithPortals

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37454587

The online giant tried to transport lithium-ion batteries and flammable aerosols between 2014 and 2015.

It was found guilty at Southwark Crown Court of causing dangerous goods to be delivered for carriage in an aircraft in breach of air navigation rules.

An Amazon spokesman said: "The safety of the public, our customers, employees and partners is an absolute priority."

The prosecution had been brought by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) under the Air Navigation (Dangerous Goods) Regulations 2002.

The items were destined for flights in and outside the UK in four shipments between January 2014 and June 2015.

"These dangerous goods include lithium batteries, which are banned from being transported as mail or cargo on a passenger aircraft unless they are installed in or packed with equipment."

Prosecutor Martin Goudie, told the court: "Under the right circumstances the batteries, even new, undamaged batteries, could overheat, potentially causing burns, explosion or a fire."

Amazon parcels and plane

Amazon has been fined £65,000 British pounds (about $84,000 USD) for attempting to ship items that could be potentially dangerous on an aircraft, by air.

Personally I think this is a bit shady, especially for such a large company. Even if the items aren't massively hazardous they should at least have properly declared what they were. Thoughts?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Oh, £65,000. Must have been a big impact for a small company like Amazon....

1 minute ago, Nicholatian said:

What’s a lithium ion battery going to do on an airplane? Explode? Seriously? These aren’t lead acid batteries or anything heavy duty.

They were also transporting flammable, pressurised aerosols. No information if they were shipped on the same aircraft, but it could only take a single battery to explode/catch fire to set off a chain reaction and bring down the plane. 

5 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

These aren’t lead acid batteries or anything heavy duty.

lead acid batteries are actually surprisingly stabile, and even when they reach critical fault they fail in a generally still safe and controlled manner. messy, but safe.

lithium on the other hand, if they reach critical fault, they are guaranteed fire, which you do not want on an airplane.

9 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

What’s a lithium ion battery going to do on an airplane? Explode? Seriously? These aren’t lead acid batteries or anything heavy duty.

They were also hauling pressurised aerosols, which pose a more significant threat.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

13 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Amazon parcels and plane

Amazon has been fined £65,000 British pounds (about $84,000 USD) for attempting to ship items that could be potentially dangerous on an aircraft, by air.

Personally I think this is a bit shady, especially for such a large company. Even if the items aren't massively hazardous they should at least have properly declared what they were. Thoughts?

Well the thing about lithium polymer is that it is very hazardous when it is not stable. In the RC enthusiast community, there are many people who understand the hazard and place their batteries in special charing bags that would void an explosion as contained and in no way dangerous. However, the standard practice for lithium polymer batteries, LiPo, is they are strictly shipped via ground. That is a huge blunder by Amazon and I believe they should have been fined more heavily, but then again, I’m sure other people and companies have transported them by air also. The major reason they are/should be fined is because they failed to mark the contents as hazardous. That is a huge deal folks. That’s like moving hazardous chemicals without a SDS or any warning labels. Very dangerous. I would sue the shit out of them if I was a third party transporter of their products.

Lithium Polymer batteries can be a large hazard at anytime. However, they are much much more likely to explode while they are charging or discharging. I would argue transporting them is not too big of a deal, relatively, but when you are shipping them in bulk, then it should be limited to via ground shipping only AND be subjected to extra HAZMAT fees from the consumer or future holder of the product. 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

28 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

I work for one of the major shippers and I've seen the top of a plane completely burnt off because a box of items with lithium ion batteries caught fire.

There is a risk of them catching fire on their own but there is also the concern of something else setting them on fire.

When those things catch fire they really burn.

Remember those "hoverboards" that were all catching fire some months back?

Imagine one of those catching during a flight.

3 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

The lithium batteries can spontaneously catch fire and once alight are basically impossible to extinguish. They burn hot enough to cause significant damage and have caused crashes before. You can't starve the fire by flying high as the batteries produce oxygen as they burn, negating one of the safety procedures.

http://www.mpoweruk.com/lithium_failures.htm (Thermal runaway part)

Only one battery is needed to start a chain reaction causing the whole pallet to catch fire.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Lol thats like pocket money to Amazon. I bet they laughed and said "Haha yeah sure, there you go.. don't do it again yeah?" all sarcastic.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

22 minutes ago, sof006 said:

Lol thats like pocket money to Amazon. I bet they laughed and said "Haha yeah sure, there you go.. don't do it again yeah?" all sarcastic.

Sadly, you're probably right.

14 hours ago, Bensemus said:

The lithium batteries can spontaneously catch fire and once alight are basically impossible to extinguish. They burn hot enough to cause significant damage and have caused crashes before. You can't starve the fire by flying high as the batteries produce oxygen as they burn, negating one of the safety procedures.

http://www.mpoweruk.com/lithium_failures.htm (Thermal runaway part)

Only one battery is needed to start a chain reaction causing the whole pallet to catch fire.

That just reminds me of an episode of the Caustic Soda podcast where they had a firefighter as a guest.

He talked about responding to car fires where the cars had aluminium engine blocks or magnisium rims and how there was nothing they could do once those started to burn as there was no way to put'em out.

By the time the things burnt themselves out there would be a hunk of metal melted into the pavement.

On 9/24/2016 at 5:41 AM, Snadzies said:

That just reminds me of an episode of the Caustic Soda podcast where they had a firefighter as a guest.

He talked about responding to car fires where the cars had aluminium engine blocks or magnisium rims and how there was nothing they could do once those started to burn as there was no way to put'em out.

By the time the things burnt themselves out there would be a hunk of metal melted into the pavement.

must have burned for a while. while magnesium burns pretty well, it takes alot of heat to ignite a massive block like that. normally its able to dissipate the heat, but with enough heat and enough time, it WILL ignite. i can imagine how much would be left, and thats barely any at all

The smartest idiot you will ever find

On 9/23/2016 at 10:05 AM, ThinkWithPortals said:

Amazon parcels and plane

if it was lipos, then i understand. but lions? wtf??

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 0:07 PM, Nicholatian said:

YES.  That's EXACTLY what the concern is.  Because it actually happens and it's taken out entire 747's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPS_Airlines_Flight_6

Fun fact, I was the compositor on this particular episode of Mayday/Air Crash Investigations. :)

On 23.9.2016 at 6:10 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

Oh, £65,000. Must have been a big impact for a small company like Amazon....

Unbenannt.PNG

yea those 65k must have hurt em alot

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Ok, i agree and i understand that shipping Li-Ion/Po batteries by air is dangerous. But what i don't actually get is:

On 9/23/2016 at 7:05 PM, ThinkWithPortals said:

unless they are installed in or packed with equipment

If they are installed in some equipment....couldn't they explode anyway? aheNote7m maybe? :D

I mean ok a device might have some features to monitor the battery and so on but if it's turned off....I don't know....i'm skeptic that there actually are any hardware mechanisms in place to prevent a fire/explosion

In the end everything is gonna be ok;

If it's not ok, it's not the end.

57 minutes ago, Nano0806 said:

Ok, i agree and i understand that shipping Li-Ion/Po batteries by air is dangerous. But what i don't actually get is:

If they are installed in some equipment....couldn't they explode anyway? aheNote7m maybe? :D

I mean ok a device might have some features to monitor the battery and so on but if it's turned off....I don't know....i'm skeptic that there actually are any hardware mechanisms in place to prevent a fire/explosion

I have been wording this for months my self?

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

YES.  That's EXACTLY what the concern is.  Because it actually happens and it's taken out entire 747's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPS_Airlines_Flight_6

Fun fact, I was the compositor on this particular episode of Mayday/Air Crash Investigations. :)

holy shit. Air crash Investigations is my fav show!

For those of you on Dark Mode that don't want your eyes burnt:

The online giant tried to transport lithium-ion batteries and flammable aerosols between 2014 and 2015.

It was found guilty at Southwark Crown Court of causing dangerous goods to be delivered for carriage in an aircraft in breach of air navigation rules.
An Amazon spokesman said: "The safety of the public, our customers, employees and partners is an absolute priority."

The prosecution had been brought by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) under the Air Navigation (Dangerous Goods) Regulations 2002. The items were destined for flights in and outside the UK in four shipments between January 2014 and June 2015.

"These dangerous goods include lithium batteries, which are banned from being transported as mail or cargo on a passenger aircraft unless they are installed in or packed with equipment."

Prosecutor Martin Goudie, told the court: "Under the right circumstances the batteries, even new, undamaged batteries, could overheat, potentially causing burns, explosion or a fire."

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

6 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

yea those 65k must have hurt em alot

Jess Bezos sleeps in a cardboard box now and licks the pavement for nutrients 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

3 hours ago, tlink said:

holy shit. Air crash Investigations is my fav show!

I don't work on it now, I'm in Stereo Conversion now, but I was the compositor for the contracted out VFX company for the 15th season and the last three episodes of S14. :)

Battery will catch fire this, battery will catch fire that...

But like receiving stuff fast is more important!