Obama signs internet over to United Nations

nicholasfd

on a different note, does anyone know if this is where one would post a topic that linus might look at for the wan show? this really seems like something he would talk about.

-Nick

Just now, nicholasfd said:

on a different note, does anyone know if this is where one would post a topic that linus might look at for the wan show? this really seems like something he would talk about.

Yeah this is the right place.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Just now, Memories4K said:

Yeah this is the right place.

okay

-Nick

1 minute ago, Memories4K said:

Bad thing.

Giving our access to other nations and losing control of our own country and affairs is a bad thing.

That's not at all what's happening here. The internet is something that doesn't and shouldn't belong to one country. (think about what would happen if a country like russia was in control of it) Giving control over to the UN, which also doesnt belong to one single country, is the best thing for it. 

1 minute ago, nicholasfd said:

@LinusTech 

This is confusing, based on the title it says the UN would have control but in the article it says it will be a multistakeholder company  body?

Having the UN take control makes sense but the the article makes it seem like China and Russia will have full control of the body. The article might be pretty biased and wording things in a way that isn't exactly true

This is a very, very bad thing... Obama wants to allow China and Russia access to control our internet

Bad thing.

Giving our access to other nations and losing control of our own country and affairs is a bad thing.

You guys both know that this isn't "American" internet. This is the entire internet.

Did you guys even click on the link at all?

Basically, he's intending on taking the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA), and giving it control to Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (iCANN).

What this WILL do, is prevent THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA from having too tight control over the entire Internet.

As a Non-American, I'm not really too concerned with this. iCANN is already a pretty powerful entity, and that's not controlled by America either. I trust the UN enough to ensure that Russia or China doesn't take over the IANA for nefarious purposes.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, CtW said:

That's not at all what's happening here. The internet is something that doesn't and shouldn't belong to one country. (think about what would happen if a country like russia was in control of it) Giving control over to the UN, which also doesnt belong to one single country, is the best thing for it. 

You misunderstand, what i meant was:

No.

I absolutely do not have any confidence in the U.N. and this only makes it easier for countries like Russia to take control.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

No.

I absolutely do not have any confidence in the U.N. and this only makes it easier for countries like Russia to take control.

And the current system only makes it easier for countries like the US to take control ... oh wait, they already have control. For the Non-Americans of the world, this is not desirable, with your NSA and other shit.

No offense, but America doesn't deserve to be in charge of the Internet.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

No.

Exactly, and Obama WANTS to give more access to China and Russia to have more control over our internet. China doesnt even have access to google and facebook...

-Nick

No.

You misunderstand how the UN works. The UN is set up so one country doesn't have all the power and every one has a say. It isnt any easier for Russia to take control than when it was in the US. 

Exactly, and Obama WANTS to give more access to China and Russia to have more control over our internet. China doesnt even have access to google and facebook...

And why would Obama specifically want to give China and Russia more control? That makes no sense. He has no love them, despite the ridiculous tin-foil hat theories that make Obama out to be the Anti-christ.

omg the double post bug is strong with this thread :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, CtW said:

You misunderstand how the UN works. The UN is set up so one country doesn't have all the power and every one has a say. It isnt any easier for Russia to take control than when it was in the US. 

I think we're doing a pretty good job of of ignoring that though.

As @dalekphalm mentioned, this does not hand control over to another nation but instead a non-national body. China and Russia wont have control, but neither will the US, and given the current trends in copyright law and the existence of the NSA is a very good thing.

From one propaganda to another *sigh*

Details separate people.

1 minute ago, CtW said:

But, it does make it easier for russia to take over... Now, they have no access, and on October 1st, russia will have more access than they did the day before. In that article, they say that it is possible for some of our websites to end up on the same floor as the moderation sites in china and russia, therefore blocking and restricting what we have and look at for websites

-Nick

10 minutes ago, nicholasfd said:

Late thursday/early Friday I think they go through and pick the articles.  IF this is still near the top it will be discussed probably.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Late thursday/early Friday I think they go through and pick the articles.  IF this is still near the top it will be discussed probably.

okay

-Nick

The problem with the UN having control is that Russia, China, and a few other PERMANENT MEMBERS who DO NOT have that rests of the worlds or the people of other countries interests in mind and they have veto powers. So any motion put forward to better the internet for the common good that isn't necessarily on/with the agenda of whoever is the in control of said countries can be vetoed and canceled with one stroke.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

But, it does make it easier for russia to take over... Now, they have no access, and on October 1st, russia will have more access than they did the day before. In that article, they say that it is possible for some of our websites to end up on the same floor as the moderation sites in china and russia, therefore blocking and restricting what we have and look at for websites

And right now, America has power to take control.

Why do I want that? I don't. I don't trust America with this power, and neither does 82.5% of the world (Eg: "Non-America").