Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
On 8.5.2016 at 6:46 PM, Vox_Lusa said:

I got a new mech this past Friday.

It's a CM Masterkeys Pro S with Cherry MX Brown switches. :)

I'm seriously considering this board (or the older non-rgb version) as a replacement for my Razer Black Widow with Cherry MX Blues, since I'm kind of sick of the noise. You've had that board for a month now - how do you like it? Worth the price, did you have any other options, found any kinks, flaws or other slight annoyances yet?

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

Why aren't more people adopting the low-profile mech-keys?  Cheery has the MX 3.0 boards out.  So nice.  

Saw this puppy. :o

The WhiteFox Keyboard

Holy crap...

51 minutes ago, Rodinski said:

Why aren't more people adopting the low-profile mech-keys?  Cheery has the MX 3.0 boards out.  So nice.  

Saw this puppy. :o

The WhiteFox Keyboard

Holy crap...

Low profile MX? Assuming you are talking about the new switches corsair has its probably that cherry has an agreement with corsair like with the rgb where they are not selling them to other companies yet.

1 minute ago, Charger said:

Low profile MX? Assuming you are talking about the new switches corsair has its probably that cherry has an agreement with corsair like with the rgb where they are not selling them to other companies yet.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00MN3MFV4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=36J2GMMUSE65A&coliid=I1TEWJE3VJG2N9

This puppy!  Cherry G80-3850!

5 hours ago, Rodinski said:

This puppy!  Cherry G80-3850!

That looks like the case comes up higher around the keys and they use a key profile that appears to be flatter. Ultimately it's using brown swiches, so you're still gonna have the 4mm key travel, the caps themselves... well just buy low profile caps. On a keyboard that is designed to have the switches exposed in a caseless design(K70, Razer BW X, etc), no matter how flat your caps are it will never look low profile. It's all appearances. The case and caps make the keyboard look low, but they're not really. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

45 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

That looks like the case comes up higher around the keys and they use a key profile that appears to be flatter. Ultimately it's using brown swiches, so you're still gonna have the 4mm key travel, the caps themselves... well just buy low profile caps. On a keyboard that is designed to have the switches exposed in a caseless design(K70, Razer BW X, etc), no matter how flat your caps are it will never look low profile. It's all appearances. The case and caps make the keyboard look low, but they're not really. 

that is what I was thinking but wasnt sure if that was the case or not. 

so I got to work on my radical edward keyboard a bit the other day so now I can put the stabilizers and enter key in the keyboard. 

I had to take the plate to the mill to make up for me being cheap and just getting the plate cut out of 1/8 inch aluminum rather then the correct thickness stainless 
rbfUM7ch.jpg

afgYGtih.jpg

ZrWx33gh.jpg

and checking how its starting to look with caps on
1Dtt2z3h.jpg

I was hoping to get more done but I had to work on my car rather than the keyboard 

I should probably just make a thread for this at somepoint

After owning my STRAFE for I don't even know how long, I can honestly say I never ever want to move away from CMX Reds (at least on my desktop).

MacBook Pro 13" still has the best keyboard for a WPM and accuracy standpoint for me.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

9 hours ago, Charger said:

so I got to work on my radical edward keyboard a bit the other day so now I can put the stabilizers and enter key in the keyboard. 

I had to take the plate to the mill to make up for me being cheap and just getting the plate cut out of 1/8 inch aluminum rather then the correct thickness stainless 
rbfUM7ch.jpg

afgYGtih.jpg

ZrWx33gh.jpg

and checking how its starting to look with caps on
1Dtt2z3h.jpg

I was hoping to get more done but I had to work on my car rather than the keyboard 

I should probably just make a thread for this at somepoint

This is awesome! Keep it up!

Hey guys, can anyone recommend a good 60/65% keyboard (preferably 65%) with Cherry MX Browns and RGB lighting with some sort of wave or spiral of RGB effect?

On 6/10/2016 at 10:45 PM, tmcclelland455 said:

After owning my STRAFE for I don't even know how long, I can honestly say I never ever want to move away from CMX Reds (at least on my desktop).

MacBook Pro 13" still has the best keyboard for a WPM and accuracy standpoint for me.

I cant do reds need something heavier with a bit of resistance.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

So guys I am planning to build my cm storm quickfire rapid i keyboard into my desk. something like this. I will have to get a company with a CnC machine to cut out the whole for each key.

bord ide.png

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

13 hours ago, TheProfosist said:

Even though they're the only switch I've actively used, I find them perfect for me. I need o-rings since I bottom out all the bloody time, and trying to type something at midnight is... Hard.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

On 1/3/2013 at 7:57 AM, sasparilla said:

May i ask where to get the blank keycaps? Looks great.

I first wanted to buy the qf rapid since it is built by the same OEM that builds Filcos, but i hated the branding so much i ordered a Majestouch 2 tenkeyless with Cherry MX Blues.

If anyone is interested i will once it arives post some pictures and thoughts of someone, who never had a mechanical keyboard before.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keycap-set.html

On 6/13/2016 at 10:16 PM, TheProfosist said:

Cherry MX Greens are very heavy blues, good enough? I think Linus did a video a while back on a Cooler Master keyboard with them. I believe the weight required to actuate is in the neighborhood of ~80 grams... the normal blue switches are ~45 grams.

On 6/14/2016 at 5:18 AM, Dackzy said:

So guys I am planning to build my cm storm quickfire rapid i keyboard into my desk. something like this. I will have to get a company with a CnC machine to cut out the whole for each key.

bord ide.png

If you are asking someone to CnC this you would need measurements down to the centimeter... I am no expert but this is like what Linus did in one of the personal rig updates and this resembles his drawing, sooooo..... good luck.

What are peoples thoughts on the TOMOKO MMC023? It's a $38.99 USD keyboard at the time of writing this. It's tenkeyless and has no backlighting. 

What do you think?

6 minutes ago, CodenameScorpion said:

If you are asking someone to CnC this you would need measurements down to the centimeter... I am no expert but this is like what Linus did in one of the personal rig updates and this resembles his drawing, sooooo..... good luck.

Oh I have contacted a laser cutting firm and now I am just waiting for a response and thank you :) 

1 hour ago, CodenameScorpion said:

I like how centimeter is a small measurement for you lol I tend to go to .001 -+ .005 of an inch for most things and  that is when I'm just doing things on a manual machine 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2016 at 8:45 PM, tmcclelland455 said:

You can buy the apple keyboards separately. 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

16 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

You can buy the apple keyboards separately. 

Yeah... I know... Anyone who doesn't live under a rock knows... But the desktop keyboards are not as good.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

On 6/21/2016 at 0:32 PM, Charger said:

I like how centimeter is a small measurement for you lol I tend to go to .001 -+ .005 of an inch for most things and  that is when I'm just doing things on a manual machine 

Fortunately, all keyboards have standard key spacing, so it's really not all that difficult to make a CAD for a keyboard plate... (GeekHack has a good resource, and there's also swill's plate builder tool.) You could just take a CAD for a board plate, and extend all dimensions by 1-2mm. Honestly, I'd just build a new board if I were trying to do something like this. It would likely come out better.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)