Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

IMG_20160519_153757266.jpg

This is it. BIC pencil for scale. I'm planning on just getting the WASD 87-key custom set unless something catches my eye on Massdrop

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

26 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

IMG_20160519_153757266.jpg

This is it. BIC pencil for scale. I'm planning on just getting the WASD 87-key custom set unless something catches my eye on Massdrop

You've got a standard bottom row there. You can put pretty much any set you'd like on that board!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

26 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

You've got a standard bottom row there. You can put pretty much any set you'd like on that board!

Thank god. And thank you!

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

19 hours ago, steezemageeze said:

also, should I get 0.2 or 0.4 mm O-rings for MX Blues?

I have a few sets of rings, I even have some Razer O-rings which I ordered to get the free headphones back when they were giving headphones away for posting on their forum 150 times LOL.

Unless you are extreme in fingertip sensitivity or obsessive compulsive you probably can't tell the difference between .2 and .4 and same with the firmness values 40A, 50A etc. Unless they're side by side I can't tell which thickness is installed, and even when they're side by side... it's kinda hard to tell. 

The best bet is to go with the cheapest of cheap. I found Refaxi on Amazon make a nice clear ring that you'd never be able to tell the difference from WASD or MK branded rings that go for 3x the price.  

Also stacking two .2mm rings is not the same as using a single .4mm ring. I tried that before ordering the R size rings and two L rings stacked will start to give resistance BEFORE reaching the actuation point. Which totally sucked!

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

1 hour ago, dtaflorida said:

I have a few sets of rings, I even have some Razer O-rings which I ordered to get the free headphones back when they were giving headphones away for posting on their forum 150 times LOL.

Unless you are extreme in fingertip sensitivity or obsessive compulsive you probably can't tell the difference between .2 and .4 and same with the firmness values 40A, 50A etc. Unless they're side by side I can't tell which thickness is installed, and even when they're side by side... it's kinda hard to tell. 

The best bet is to go with the cheapest of cheap. I found Refaxi on Amazon make a nice clear ring that you'd never be able to tell the difference from WASD or MK branded rings that go for 3x the price.  

Also stacking two .2mm rings is not the same as using a single .4mm ring. I tried that before ordering the R size rings and two L rings stacked will start to give resistance BEFORE reaching the actuation point. Which totally sucked!

<image snip>

I figured it was more of a placebo difference. I'm still trying to decide if I want them or not, but thank you!

I have keyboard. I am in club. Mechanical keyboard club. Possibly membrane. IDK

I     own     alienware     computer     XPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

17 hours ago, steezemageeze said:

I figured it was more of a placebo difference. I'm still trying to decide if I want them or not, but thank you!

The only difference is clear or opaque. I recommend getting clear in case you ever have a backlit keyboard. And even if you don't, because there's no difference in price between a cheap clear and a cheap opaque ring. I'm using fully clear blank caps so opaque rings are completely visible. I now have 2 sets of refaxi clear and 1 set of MK clear. I worry about them getting mixed into the same bag because I'm anal like that. Dear god... if they got mixed together... wtf would I do... can't tell one from the other...

Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

Just picked up a Corsair Strafe RGB Keyboard with Cherry MX Silent switches for $99.99 at Best Buy, it's my first mechanical keyboard as I have been using some HP keyboard and mouse that have been taking a beating for awhile. Got the mouse around 3 weeks ago. Its a great buy.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

On 5/19/2016 at 4:05 PM, steezemageeze said:

Just for the halibut I went out in the shop and dug up some 5/16 OD o-rings from a collection of them, 1/16 section. Viton so a bit hard. I didn'thave enough to do all the keys so I tried single rings and doubles on most-used keys on the MX red switches.

One wasn't enough, but helped because it didn't bottom as far down. Two was great, but they are hard so it stopped right there, just past actuation. Looking at Mcmaster-Carr they rate buna o rings as compressable, in that size 125 rings can be had for less than $10.

I took the viton ones off. Also it can be hard to get the key to settle on the switch stalk with two rings, but repetition helps.

Has anyone tried/used these keys? I wanted to get a set from WASD but at the moment I don't really have any money (teenager problems...) and can't really justify spending $40+ on a custom keyset. I don't really mind blanks, I touch type pretty well, but I'm worried that these won't be real PBT or they'll be low quality PBT (it's not the end of the world if they're ABS, I just want to try something different).

2016-05-22-110553_1920x1080_scrot.png

5 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

Has anyone tried/used these keys? I wanted to get a set from WASD but at the moment I don't really have any money (teenager problems...) and can't really justify spending $40+ on a custom keyset. I don't really mind blanks, I touch type pretty well, but I'm worried that these won't be real PBT or they'll be low quality PBT (it's not the end of the world if they're ABS, I just want to try something different).

Cant imagine them beingg that good, for that price.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Just now, spwath said:

Cant imagine them beingg that good, for that price.

My thought's exactly... they look like they default keys for the Quickfire Rapid (the LED cutouts are in the exact same place), just not dyed yet, like some kind of factory overstock or something, which (I think) means that they're actually ABS (I'm guessing on all this...). These would probably be a temporary solution ideally though, until I can actually get some nice WASD caps or something, so it's not a huge deal if they aren't perfect.

5 hours ago, steezemageeze said:

If you are really that worried about the quality of them, I would just save up a bit for the WASD set that you are looking at, and live with whatever keycaps you have currently.

On the other hand, it's under $20 so if they turn out to be terrible, the loss isn't too drastic.

MY BUILD LOG

Instagram: @enz0man

2 hours ago, Enz0man said:

If you are really that worried about the quality of them, I would just save up a bit for the WASD set that you are looking at, and live with whatever keycaps you have currently.

On the other hand, it's under $20 so if they turn out to be terrible, the loss isn't too drastic.

Right, and I can't decide which is the better decision. I asked on Reddit and a few people said they weren't that bad, but at the same time I know the WASD set will be good quality. It'll pretty much fall on whether or not I can find a job for this summer I think.

Been looking for affordable fullsize plates, material type does not matter. Can't seem to find anything affordable. There's plenty of 60% plates and some TKL tho. Anyone got any leads on full size plates?

3 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

Been looking for affordable fullsize plates, material type does not matter. Can't seem to find anything affordable. There's plenty of 60% plates and some TKL tho. Anyone got any leads on full size plates?

Not many plates are sold in general most people making diy keyboards tend to end up having custom plates made.

On 22/05/2016 at 3:42 AM, steezemageeze said:

My thought's exactly... they look like they default keys for the Quickfire Rapid (the LED cutouts are in the exact same place), just not dyed yet, like some kind of factory overstock or something, which (I think) means that they're actually ABS (I'm guessing on all this...). These would probably be a temporary solution ideally though, until I can actually get some nice WASD caps or something, so it's not a huge deal if they aren't perfect.

Greetings,

These are in fact PBT keycaps, and I think they're an absolute steal for the price. They're not as thick as your higher quality PBT caps, but they're not drastically too far off. Being PBT they are a bit more coarse in comparison to ABS ones, and therefore get a bit more dirt especially since they're white, as they catch dirt more easily.

But yeh, you won't need to worry about the quality. Besides the warped space bar, which is an easy fix. They just won't be as good as the more expensive PBT caps, which is to be expected. But they are a step up from the stock ABS keycaps. It also gives you an option to dye them in the future, if you wanna have some fun. I think they're a good temporary set, that won't cost you a whole lot.

This video briefly reviews the set, and shows the differences in thickness's : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycCWwf3lHAc

20 hours ago, Charger said:

Not many plates are sold in general most people making diy keyboards tend to end up having custom plates made.

Speaking of plates, the weekend is over and...

No plates. I'll send another email. I've been busy anyway with crew.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

On 5/22/2016 at 0:30 PM, steezemageeze said:

Well, 104 set NPKC single color PBT blanks are going for about $30 on Ebay, but they come with a very nice keycap holder. And if you look at Massdrop, the holder is like $13 + shipping. So it's not a far stretch to think you could get a decent set of blank PBT caps for about $15 without that nice NPKC cap holder.

6 hours ago, spwath said:

Speaking of plates, the weekend is over and...

No plates. I'll send another email. I've been busy anyway with crew.

and i just got an email saying my parts I just had cut at http://www.bigbluesaw.com/ just got shipped but there is a bit of a price difference in what you are getting vs what I paid $120 to have cut.

1 minute ago, Charger said:

and i just got an email saying my parts I just had cut at http://www.bigbluesaw.com/ just got shipped but there is a bit of a price difference in what you are getting vs what I paid $120 to have cut.

Yeah, 120$ difference.

Time to send another email

17 minutes ago, spwath said:

Yeah, 120$ difference.

Time to send another email

well that and i had this cut out of 1/8 aluminum

CbY7wJm.png

Does anyone have the Cylindrical Keycaps for the Logitech G910 Orion Spark? I realy like to buy them but this is not posible from outsind the usa.

I realy want to buy them from anyone who wants to get rid of them.

It's also posible that you buy them from Logitech usa so i can buy them from you, all costs for me ofcause. This way i do like more.

Please please anyone help me!

Thank you

42 minutes ago, Charger said:

Good new for us both today!!!!

Responded to my email, last one finished today, I will get them tomorow!!!

Then my build will begin.

17 minutes ago, spwath said:

Good new for us both today!!!!

Responded to my email, last one finished today, I will get them tomorow!!!

Then my build will begin.

I still need 9 more sets of plate mount stabilizers and DSA caps.

Fucking keyboard has like 18 stabilized keys lol