Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
1 hour ago, dtaflorida said:

looks like you have vortex key caps. your esc key is that weird thing I never could figure out what it was. Anyone know what the heck it is?

RGB, negating the need for custom keycaps lol.

Both the WASD v2 and the MasterKeys Pro S are using Vortex PBT keysets. The WASD v2 has a Vortex Blue on White Doubleshot PBT set and the MasterKeys has a Vortex Black Doubleshot PBT/POM backlit set. I prefer PBT keysets over the typical thin ABS sets that come with most mechanical keyboards (in particular over Cherry MX Browns or Clears, on Blues I kinda like ABS).

About the Esc... the one on the WASD v2 is an artisan (Royal Slate Sabre from KeyForge, it didn't came with the keyboard, I already had it) and the one on the Pro S is that odd logo keycap that comes with all the backlit Vortex keysets (people say it's supposed to be a squirrel or something like that... personally I could never figure out on my own what is was aswell haha).

On 8/4/2016 at 5:10 AM, the pokemon kid said:

Does anyone know where I can get an outer shell for a Filco Majestouch? I have got an old/ what I thought was dead Phantom PCB which is actually working...

If I can find a Filco case, I can then at least transplant it into there and make myself another custom board!

On 8/4/2016 at 11:01 AM, Charger said:

I think @TheProfosist may have an acrylic case for a phantom 

I do indeed. I would have to  check what colors as I did sell one the last time I put them up. 

Looks like I sold there one for $50. That Meas I have left:

2x Yellow/Green

1x Yellow/White

1x Pink/White

These were originally bought for customer projects and one for a personal build. They were MKC brand originally sold by Feng. 

Pics of them can be found here http://goo.gl/N1KdYn

1 hour ago, Cantaloupeman said:

What is the best mechanical keyboard i can buy?

whats the best you could buy? Maybe a kmac or something along those lines but I don't think you will be buying the best you can buy.

17 hours ago, TheProfosist said:

I do indeed. I would have to  check what colors as I did sell one the last time I put them up. 

Looks like I sold there one for $50. That Meas I have left:

2x Yellow/Green

1x Yellow/White

1x Pink/White

These were originally bought for customer projects and one for a personal build. They were MKC brand originally sold by Feng. 

Pics of them can be found here http://goo.gl/N1KdYn

Thanks for posting them up but there aren't in the colours I am looking for! Would be looking for a purely black or a purely white case.

On 8/6/2016 at 11:35 AM, Cantaloupeman said:

What is the best mechanical keyboard i can buy?

Different people like different keyboards for different reasons. Some prefer full size, some TKL, some 60%. And there are so many different types of switches and ways to modify them, you really have to try a bunch of different ones to find what you really like.

I would maybe try something with browns or clears first, cause it's a nice happy medium between clicky and linear. If you get one and think "I wish there was a more defined click", then maybe try blues or greens. Or if you think "I would rather the switch be completely smooth all the way to the bottom, maybe try reds or blacks. 

MY BUILD LOG

Instagram: @enz0man

changed from my mionix zibal 60 (fist backlit mechanical) because off lack of usb 3 support (no ten key)

IMG_0216.JPG

Look what i just scored for $80 total.

20160815_113150.jpg

Thats right. 4 Model F's...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I got my order of Silicone keys! They're so weird feeling... And they're so quiet since they absorb vibrations and sound quiet well. I'd say it really makes how the ABS keys I had on side by side to compare while using stand out for having a slight hollow 'echo'. Some gripes tho...

• One key was completely unusable due to malformed stem
  • They don't sit 'straight', I mean you can twist them and they'll be angled slightly
  • The space bar had a curve that it won't lay flat, fortunately it bends back and hold in place well enough
  • Space bar is completely unusable since one side will bend down, but not the middle where the switch is! Haven't tried this on costar stabs but it's definately affecting mx stabs and whatever this thing on the Team Wolf use.

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

I can't say they're for most ppl, personally just got em cuz rubbery soft keys just sounds so weird I HAD to try it. Hope they do another round with mono colored keys... preferably white so I can use my RGB.

$30 novelty... will go back to translucent ABS when the novelty wears off :P

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

I have been using a membrane keyboard and I have heard that cherry mx reds are good for gaming. I am thinking of getting a STRAFE RGB Mechanical gaming keyboard, here's a link to it, http://www.corsair.com/en-us/strafe-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-silent . I would like to hear any recommendations whether it be a different type of switch or a different keyboard. thx (:

13 hours ago, spwath said:

Look what i just scored for $80 total.

[image]

Thats right. 4 Model F's...

But how?! :o

PLEASE QUOTE ME WHEN YOU REPLY TO MY POSTS, thank you.

On 1/2/2013 at 7:44 PM, Dave :) said:

Hello all,

Thought i should get in early and create a central hub for all us Keyboard enthusiasts to congregate.
For those who don't know what a mechanical keyboard is, here is a quick, very brief outline.

On a regular rubber dome keyboard, ones you generally find in Schools, work places etc, under each key is rubber dome. When pressed, this rubber dome is pressed down, making contact with the underlying membrane, transferring the electrical impulse through the circuitry and thus telling the computer what button has been pressed.

A mechanical keyboard, on the otherhand, doesn't have such a set up. Instead, underneath each key is an individual switch. When pressed, this switch is forced down, connecting the contact and transferring electrical impulse. The advantages of using a mechanical switch are quite strong, firstly it provides a much more tactile and wholesome feedback, good for telling the user when they have actuated the key. This allows the user, when they have got used to it, to type at a much faster rate as they know the feeling of when they have typed a letter, and thus can increase their word count. Also, mechanical keyboards allow for NKRO, or N-key roll over. Basically this means that the user can press down as many keys as they like, the computer will register all the key strokes. With a membrane board, there is a limit.

For a much more in depth talk, check out Linus' video on Mechanical keyboards.

There are many, many switch variants out there. However the ones you are most likely to come across are: Cherry MX switches. These come in a variety of names, denoted by their colour. Each switch feels slightly different, and provides the user with different reasons to use a switch.

Cherry MX Blues: Tactile, clicky. - Good for typing, not so much gaming.
Cherry MX Browns: Tactile, non-clicky. - Good gaming and typing due to their quietness, but still maintaining the tactile feedback (you can feel a bump when you press the key)
Cherry MX Reds: Linear, non-clicky - Good for gaming, similar to Membrane in linear motion; no bump as it's not tactile.
Cherry MX Blacks : Linear, non-clicky. - Similar to MX Reds, slightly heavier

There are many other variants of the Cherry MX line up, however these are the main constituents which filtrate into the mainstream market.

Simply post what Keyboard you're running, what switch type, TKL or not, and any other mods you've done to it.

Here is my Filco Majestouch 2 TKL:
900x900px-LL-b1b9eb9f_IMG_0907.jpeg

IMG_0216.JPG

Bonus points for those who can guess which serial number I own XXXX/2014

bdXFeDe.gif

12 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Bonus points for those who can guess which serial number I own XXXX/2014

bdXFeDe.gif

can you teach me 

how to ducky?

2 minutes ago, BaconPersuasion said:

Can you teach my how to ducky?

I will teach you my ways.

5fFcP8r.jpg

Just now, BaconPersuasion said:

~snip~

I also own a Ducky mouse pad. But you know, details...

Oh yeah... These silicone keycaps also don't have bracing so I now have a use for these 3mm O-rings lol. 

I got around to putting them on the some of the modifiers and see more problems. Pretty much anything over the 1u caps the twisting and bending of the cap becomes noticable since I don't hit the keys dead center where switch is.

Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

10 hours ago, kungpaogao said:

But how?! :o

Middle aged man with his shirt unbuttoned

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

On 8/15/2016 at 7:54 PM, Doggo6000 said:

I have been using a membrane keyboard and I have heard that cherry mx reds are good for gaming. I am thinking of getting a STRAFE RGB Mechanical gaming keyboard, here's a link to it, http://www.corsair.com/en-us/strafe-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-silent . I would like to hear any recommendations whether it be a different type of switch or a different keyboard. thx (:

I tried that as my first mechanical keyboard and it was horrible. The keys were pretty quiet but extremely mushy and the travel distance wasn't very much. I have had better feedback, travel distance and feel from membrane keyboards. I have since been using a G710+ brown keyboard and it's getting there. It sure isn't perfect since it's not as tactile as blues but I like how the browns are quieter (o-rings are preinstalled.) I wish they made a G710+ RGB. I miss that from the strafe. The white lighting is fine the on the 710+. Like many other keyboards the secondary symbol keys aren't lit up since they put the led at the top of the switch :/ . 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

anyone know if there are any tenkeyless (or compact) wireless keyboards with mx browns or switches that feel like mx browns? please leave a link if you find one! :)

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I feel like we're in a mechanical keyboard bubble. Just more and more manufacturers jumping in and prices are sky high. 

The question is, when does the bubble burst? I think sooner than later since unlike other bubbles like tablets, there's really not much more to look forward to, other than the switch up to optical switches. It's not like new games come out requiring faster keyboards or keyboards with new processors and more memory.

I can't see a reason to ever change my new K70 Rapidfire RGB... unless one comes out with better lighting (the white for example is terrible). Also when I choose a light colour, I can see the reflection of the 3 LED diodes on some of the keys and it's annoying lol

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

So I just joined the club with my G410 Atlas Spectrum.

So far pretty satisfied with the purchase. :) 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

On 8/16/2016 at 8:51 AM, spwath said:

Middle aged man with his shirt unbuttoned

So *that's* the secret to getting killer deals on keyboards...

On 8/17/2016 at 5:32 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

anyone know if there are any tenkeyless (or compact) wireless keyboards with mx browns or switches that feel like mx browns? please leave a link if you find one! :)

There's the Varmilo VB87, or whatever that appears on massdrop occasionally. I would try to pick one up used, but good luck doing that, they're in pretty high demand.

On 8/19/2016 at 7:40 AM, dtaflorida said:

I feel like we're in a mechanical keyboard bubble. Just more and more manufacturers jumping in and prices are sky high. 

The question is, when does the bubble burst? I think sooner than later since unlike other bubbles like tablets, there's really not much more to look forward to, other than the switch up to optical switches. It's not like new games come out requiring faster keyboards or keyboards with new processors and more memory.

I think the Wooting concept of analog switches is pretty interesting, or the adjustable actuation points on topre boards. I have to say, I'm not the biggest fan of the whole optical switch thing, because they're one of those things that has a VERY finite life span. Those LEDs are not going to last as long as a good old fashioned mechanical switch, and it's not like keyboard response time plays that big of a role in games in the first place. (as you've already said)

I imagine you'd also have some trouble with certain backlighting colors because they run off of LEDs...

On 8/19/2016 at 7:50 AM, iiNNeX said:

I can't see a reason to ever change my new K70 Rapidfire RGB... unless one comes out with better lighting (the white for example is terrible). Also when I choose a light colour, I can see the reflection of the 3 LED diodes on some of the keys and it's annoying lol

Well, until the LEDs die, anyway.

That's the trouble with RGB (as good as it looks); there's no good way to get really good whites, or some other colors (like purple), without adding a bunch more diodes, but that would make the leds enormous.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)