Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

LOL I noticed a UNICOMP box in the trash pile as I came to work today. Seems someone other than me has a loud mechanical keyboard. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

Yay I got my NPKC keycap holder trays. After I loaded up all the full sets I had, I had one extra tray and started looking at buying another set of caps, when I remembered I already have one on order which was why there was 1 extra! Kinda wishing I'd gotten more...

Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

1 hour ago, dtaflorida said:

Yay I got my NPKC keycap holder trays. After I loaded up all the full sets I had, I had one extra tray and started looking at buying another set of caps, when I remembered I already have one on order which was why there was 1 extra! Kinda wishing I'd gotten more...

Be careful with those keycap holders. I had a set of their caps that came in on one of those trays, and it seemed to have stretched the stems out, so now the caps will literally fall off the board if I turn it over.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Got this cool little guy today. Can program each key to a 112 key macro, with 2 layers.

15$.

Relegendable. Pretty cool.

20160714_171615.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

54 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Be careful with those keycap holders. I had a set of their caps that came in on one of those trays, and it seemed to have stretched the stems out, so now the caps will literally fall off the board if I turn it over.

Hmm I thought about that as I was putting the caps on. Nothing a bit of scotch tape can't help. I'm already using a bit cuz these transparent caps I got off Massdrop are cheap as. Even the cross beams in the caps aren't the right height so O rings don't consistently reduce key travel uniformly across all keys. L size rings still bottom out on a few ie the ring did nothing.

3 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

probably more to do with the caps then the holder but both could be at fault.

6 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

Hmm I thought about that as I was putting the caps on. Nothing a bit of scotch tape can't help. I'm already using a bit cuz these transparent caps I got off Massdrop are cheap as. Even the cross beams in the caps aren't the right height so O rings don't consistently reduce key travel uniformly across all keys. L size rings still bottom out on a few ie the ring did nothing.

That has less to do with the length of the cross beams, and more to do with caps that don't have supports on the inside of them. For most caps, there is a little bit of cross bracing, which is what I think would change the feel of the o rings.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

10 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

For most caps, there is a little bit of cross bracing, which is what I think would change the feel of the o rings.

Yes that's what I meant. The depth of the supporting plastic. I just call em crossbeams, but I guess that refers to the mounting socket eh. Anyways, cheap caps. I'm using a mix of 2.5 and 3mm rings to reduce the travel, yes the switches still actuate, the travel is stopping right at/after actuation.  A little weird to type on, the key travel is so short.

I have a logitech mechanical keyboard so old it has no model number, and still uses PS/2 connections.

On 7/16/2016 at 3:31 AM, kerbingamer376 said:

I have a logitech mechanical keyboard so old it has no model number, and still uses PS/2 connections.

I don't think logitech ever made mechs until recently? 

PS/2 is the best connector for keyboards. I wish mine still used them.

All products have model numbers. Especially anything sold in the USA in the last 30+ years, I would think. It may not be on the outside, but I would bet that the inside plastic, or the PCB would have part numbers on them of some sort. How else would they be able to support the product?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Anyone know any good 60% or 65% keyboards with RGB and MX Browns. Want to be able to access the arrows without a function key like on the Vortex Pok3r 3 RGB. Speaking of which, is it good, the only thing is I like to edit text with arrows and backspace and delete, and i can't press delete if I have the arrows enabled, and i can't press the arrows if I have the arrows disabled (no shit, Sherlock).

Or should I just go TKL, if it's too hard

6 hours ago, GArmyHD said:

Or should I just go TKL, if it's too hard

Yeah I like dedicated arrow keys too, It's always a deal breaker. I keep drooling over these:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ajazz-geeks-ak33-82-key-mechanical-keyboard

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/varmilo-va68m-mechanical-keyboard

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/magicforce-68-key-mini-mechanical-keyboard

And the drops have switch options which include Cherry and Gateron... only problem is waiting for the drops to become active... and price, at the end of the day you can get a TKL for less and not wait for months and months for a drop to finalize.

Also drool worthy, but even more in the unafforable and hobbby electronics category due to the DIY nature:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/red-scarf-ii-ver-b-custom-mechanical-keyboard-kit

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/the-whitefox-keyboard

3 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

Also drool worthy, but even more in the unafforable and hobbby electronics category due to the DIY nature:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/red-scarf-ii-ver-b-custom-mechanical-keyboard-kit

you include the red scarf as unaffordable but not the kmac mini which it seems to have stolen the design from lol

On 8/2/2014 at 10:58 PM, TheProfosist said:

Sorry about the wait this is what a KMAC Mini looks like. This is not the one I am selling but the other one and it has my layout not its standard one since its fully programmable.

IMG_4561.jpg

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4565.jpg

Anyone ever using Motospeed CK108 keyboard? 

Spoiler

1466468761955409610.jpg

20 hours ago, GArmyHD said:

Anyone know any good 60% or 65% keyboards with RGB and MX Browns. Want to be able to access the arrows without a function key like on the Vortex Pok3r 3 RGB. Speaking of which, is it good, the only thing is I like to edit text with arrows and backspace and delete, and i can't press delete if I have the arrows enabled, and i can't press the arrows if I have the arrows disabled (no shit, Sherlock).

I've currently got the Varmilo VA68MN, and I'm really liking it right now. That being said, I'm not actually a fan of Cherry switches, IMO, Gateron switches (the ones in this board) are WAY better than the current offerings from cherry. Loving it with Gat browns right now.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I have seen the light and converted myself to the beauty of the mechanical keyboard.  It's so beautiful!

On 7/18/2016 at 1:40 PM, Charger said:

you include the red scarf as unaffordable but not the kmac mini which it seems to have stolen the design from lol

I posted those exact pics of my KMAC Mini over on Massdrop... :P

On 7/18/2016 at 3:43 AM, GArmyHD said:

The KMAC Happy is by far my favorite 60% board. They are small they must have programmability. 

Have some recent shots of my boards up on my twitter. 

Can anybody recommend the best tenkeyless backlit cherry mx blue keyboard? Thanks! (btw I am currently thinking about the cooler master masterkeys pro s)

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

10 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Can anybody recommend the best tenkeyless backlit cherry mx blue keyboard? Thanks! (btw I am currently thinking about the cooler master masterkeys pro s)

I just got myself the Pro S and its a fine board. If you don't need the RGB, simply go for the Rapid-i (I got mine on Prime day and the difference was just a few bucks, so I went for RGB). There are rumors that they once had problems with their LED's failing, but they fixed that after the first few batches. Other than those two, there's the Razer Black Widow Tournament edition that uses Razers version of the MX Blues. Many people dislike Razer since they stopped using Cheryy, not sure what's up with that. Regarding your switch choice, be warned: I own an "old" Black Widow withc Cherry MX Blues, put in some O Rings and it still is obnoxiously loud^^ That's why I went with MX Browns this time. But that is a choice everyone has to make for him / herself

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

Thanks! The reason that im going with the rgb is because its like a $5 difference.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Hi guys, I've been looking at building my own keyboard as a little project to work on at weekends for a while now and have finally started ordering some materials and components. I drew up a design on Solidworks using some rough dimensions and was looking for some input from you guys on what you think!!! I am basing my design roughly on the planck; ortholinear and small as to not use up desk space. 

Untitled.jpg

13 minutes ago, vernerhill said:

Hi guys, I've been looking at building my own keyboard as a little project to work on at weekends for a while now and have finally started ordering some materials and components. I drew up a design on Solidworks using some rough dimensions and was looking for some input from you guys on what you think!!! I am basing my design roughly on the planck; ortholinear and small as to not use up desk space. 

Untitled.jpg

i was going to say it looks like a planck. I would add the cutout for the stabilizers for the space bar

Hot swap switches sure are catching on. But this is weird... hot swap LED too? This DIY is practically already built for you lol.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83442.0

2 pin led is not rgb of course, but you can plug in different colors. Last I understood tho, the resistor needed to match the LED, and color of the LED made a difference as to how many ohms the resistor needed to be...