NVIDIA Under Attack Again for GameWorks in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

CtW

So GameWorks has some hair physics stuff that doesn't perform optimally on AMD? It's not like AMD has done the exact same thing before... owait

Isn't this the sort of thing that PhysX is meant to do, anyway? Like in Bioshock Infinite where Elizabeth's hair and dress spontaneously started breakdancing at times because REALISM.

....did we forget about that part where Tressfx is open source and runs on Nvidia gpus fine? unlike gameworks? 

Yah..so exactly not like Tomb Raider 

It didn't run fine on my 560 though.

Lara's hair would disappear pretty soon after I had turned on TressFX and she would be bald.

;_;

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Cute. Remind me again why tressfx was pointless but nvidia hairworks is worth defending to the death?

I've love to revel in the hypocrisy.

TressFX looked bad, HairWorks looks better.

Even in Lichdom, TressFX looked bad. Maybe it'll look fine in deus ex. I dunno.

Plus the only thing using the effect in tomb raider was Lara. Made it look even more out of place than it did.

I hate modern gaming.

It has gone to absolute crap .

Not only this BS but the whole DLC , pre order , taking all your money , nickel and dime bull crap.

Rushed sequels , every year , no passion no innovation .

I will stick with my retro games .

So much BS everywhere , its getting out of control.

It didn't run fine on my 560 though.

Lara's hair would disappear pretty soon after I had turned on TressFX and she would be bald.

;_;

My point was more that its completely open and Nvidia is more than welcome to code whatever they like to get it running better, not so much that it was perfect. 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

this is interesting 

AMD: Being able to see and share source code access is very important to our driver optimization process.

Nvidia: Having source code is useful, but it’s just one tool in our toolbox. There are many, many things we can do to improve performance without touching it.

Developers say: They’re both telling the truth.

The first thing to understand about IHV – developer relations is that the process of game optimization is nuanced and complex. The reason AMD and Nvidia are taking different positions on this topic isn’t because one of them is lying, it’s because AMD genuinely tends to focus more on helping developers optimize their own engines, while Nvidia puts more effort into performing tasks in-driver.

A spark of absurdity fueled by your own ridiculous post. A tad over done by my point still stand. 

Again, tell me how Tressfx was pointless and Nvidia hairworks is worth defending to the ground.

Tell me it has something to do with how much money or market share they has. 

I said tesselation, though I admit that was heresay (suprise, i'm not a gamedev). Not a specific asset or feature. Maybe if you didn't generate so much dissonance, you'd understand my standpoint. At this stage, I don't really feel like arguing with you if you're going to be this uncivilized.

TressFX looked bad, HairWorks looks better.

Even in Lichdom, TressFX looked bad. Maybe it'll look fine in deus ex. I dunno.

Plus the only thing using the effect in tomb raider was Lara. Made it look even more out of place than it did.

Inst that highly subjective lol..

So GameWorks has some hair physics stuff that doesn't perform optimally on AMD? It's not like AMD has done the exact same thing before... owait

Isn't this the sort of thing that PhysX is meant to do, anyway? Like in Bioshock Infinite where Elizabeth's hair and dress spontaneously started breakdancing at times because REALISM.

It's probably derived from PhysX in some ways just like I suspect FireFX was.

Inst that highly subjective lol..

TressFX objectively did not look good in the games it was put in. It looked like, in a comparison, someone added anime hair to Skyrim. That shit looks bad.

I said tesselation, though I admit that was heresay (suprise, i'm not a gamedev). Not a specific asset or feature. Maybe if you didn't generate so much dissonance, you'd understand my standpoint. At this stage, I don't really feel like arguing with you if you're going to be this uncivilized.

Right..you edited that in after i quoted. Originally you said nothing of tessellation. 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

TressFX objectively did not look good in the games it was put in. It looked like, in a comparison, someone added anime hair to Skyrim. That shit looks bad.

It also had the tendency to jump around for no reason, and the scenes she was upside down it looked significantly worse than the stock hair effects. Almost to the point that it broke immersion.

Right..you edited that in after i quoted. Originally you said nothing of tessellation. 

True, but not as a result of.. nor did I mention hairworks in the original post. I always edit my posts afterwards because I think of something just after I hit "post", it's something I need to stop doing.

It also had the tendency to jump around for no reason, and the scenes she was upside down it looked significantly worse than the stock hair effects. Almost to the point that it broke immersion.

tressfx looked great to me 

Look at the scene right at the beginning, when she's upside down in the cocoon and observe the behaviour of her hair... tell me that looks great again.

You can say it looks good to you all you want, doesn't change the fact that it was implemented poorly and did not match the overall aesthetic of the games it was put in. Therefor, it looked bad.

1.0 was a little meh but 2.0 i thought looked great

Ala' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziKKo27mEE0

why mutter over TressFX?

it's a new tech implemented for a game

regardless the outcome, the tech is available to everyone to use and optimize it.

nvidia always tries to lock down other competitor over their own term & license

helping developer to build the game is a good thing, but not allowing others to optimize it, that is not a good thing.

why you support the idea of locking down the performance over 1 company?

you know, there's already devices for that purpose, it's called "CONSOLES".

True, but not as a result of.. nor did I mention hairworks in the original post. I always edit my posts afterwards because I think of something just after I hit "post", it's something I need to stop doing.

You've been defending gameworks through out the post and were reply to a comment about tressFX, I dont think my jump to the conclusion that you would shoot down tressfx while defending hairworks was extreme, though the delivery was on the childish side.  (Hairworks being the overall main subject of the thread)

I try to make edits labeled EDIT but i often forget x.x

Goddammit this is why 3DFX should have stayed in business

fuck this shit i'm gaming on an Intel gm45 from now on IM ENTITLED TO GOOD PERFURMANCE

Funny you should mention them since they had their own API: Glide.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's clipping through everything though, and does not seem to understand how phsyics like gravity work.

It does clip a bit but i'd take it over the original look of the brick hair. We'll see what Tressfx3.0 brings with deusX

Is hairworks better? i've not seen it used in a longer hair fashion, only fur. If it was better i'd gladly use it, assuming it was available for me. 

why mutter over TressFX?

it's a new tech implemented for a game

regardless the outcome, the tech is available to everyone to use and optimize it.

nvidia always tries to lock down other competitor over their own term & license

helping developer to build the game is a good thing, but not allowing others to optimize it, that is not a good thing.

why you support the idea of locking down the performance over 1 company?

you know, there's already devices for that purpose, it's called "CONSOLES".

Because it's important to understand the difference between TressFX and Gameworks libraries if you're going to throw them into the same pile. The tech is implemented in the game, provided by nvidia or amd, by the developer. 

What companies will be incentivised by being told to offer their services without charge and disclose their digital copyrights/assets? Are you ccompletely devoid of information on how businesses operate? How can you remain profitable when you're giving everything away for free, what revenue are you making that would enable you to conintue your work providing said services. Don't you think that the quality of gameworks, and the continued support of gameworks, relies on whether it's profitable to nvidia?

And are you seriously telling me consoles are agnostic? Have you ever heard of console-exlusive games? They don't just lock out features, they lock out entire games.

This Thread's Logic

Nvidia has GPU specific visual features: ANTI CONSUMER PC GAMING SEGREGATION INCOMING.

AMD has GPU specific API: Not anti consumer at all, unifying PC Gamers.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

This Thread's Logic

Nvidia has GPU specific visual features: ANTI CONSUMER PC GAMING SEGREGATION INCOMING.

AMD has GPU specific API: Not anti consumer at all, unifying PC Gamers.

Double standards HOOOO

So to add a different perspective to this: If something like HairWorks wasn't black boxed how much good do people think it would it do? Nvidia's current GPUs are better at Tessellation than AMD's cards. You can't magically make hardware perform beyond it's capabilities no matter how many tweaks you make to drivers.

This Thread's Logic

Nvidia has GPU specific visual features: ANTI CONSUMER PC GAMING SEGREGATION INCOMING. [LOCKED IN BLACK BOX, COMPETITION CANNOT MAKE IT RUN PROPERLY]

AMD has GPU specific API: Not anti consumer at all, unifying PC Gamers. [THOUGH IT TOOK A WHILE, OPEN SOURCE, ANYONE CAN CODE TO RUN IT PROPERLY] 

idk...seems pretty solid to me.