Experiences with non-techies

So about a year ago, I was on a school excursion, and as I sat on the school bus I got out my Nexus 7. One of the teachers, sitting across the bus from me (who is the most tech illiterate person I've ever met) looked at my tablet. He smirked and said:

Him: That's not an iPad

Me: Nope

Him: It's a Samsung, isn't it?

Me:... It's an Android tablet

Him: A what?

Me:...... An Android tablet

Him: What's that?

I ignored him for the rest of the trip.

ALSO

This teacher used to have an iPhone 5 in a LifeProof case. But he only had a film screen protector on the phone. One day he dropped it face down on a gravel path, and was really mad at Lifeproof that his precious iPhone's screen was now cracked. He then ranted about sueing Lifeproof. I walked away.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just had to explain to my college teacher that just because the work sheets are PDF, that does not mean we couldn't edit them in word.

*didnt know this*

im done computering for tonight.

back to vocal practicing. ;~;

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

So, here's my experiences, that I can come to think of now:

- After I've fixed a computer for a friend or relative, they always blame me for every future problem.

- Two guys were talking in an MMORPG I used to play, and one of them said that he overclocked his hard drive and his computer is now more than twice as fast.

- Whenever I tell someone that I like computers and technology, they always assume I just post stuff on Facebook and play Farmville all day long.

- My mom freak out every time an email from someone she doesn't know, slips through the spam filter and end up in her inbox. Something worth mentioning is that she use hotmail, so she freaks out a lot.

Edit: fixed the formatting.

That first one is so true.   It frustrates me to no end.  

Main Rig: 

i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz w/ H75 Liquid CPU Cooler - Asus Maximus VII Hero - 16GB G.Skill Triedent X 2133MHz RAM - 2x Gtx 660s in SLI - 120GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD NZXT Hue - K70 RGB Keyboard - Corsair Sabre RGB - Windows 8.1 - 2x Asus VN247H-P 1080p Monitors (I'm a sucker for lighting effects)

Server: 

FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz w/ stock cooler - 8GB Crucial 1600MHz RAM - AMD Radeon HD 7450 GPU - 300W PSU - 120GB SSD - Windows 7

That first one is so true.   It frustrates me to no end.  

Not just you, every time there's a tech related problem I'd be blamed.

Even Internet issue where my ISP is the problem, my family just blame me instead.

They just expect me to fix everything like a magician....

Bam Bim Bum, fixed.

Doesn't work like that..... But they think that way.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Not just you, every time there's a tech related problem I'd be blamed.

Even Internet issue where my ISP is the problem, my family just blame me instead.

They just expect me to fix everything like a magician....

Bam Bim Bum, fixed.

Doesn't work like that..... But they think that way.

Dude, this is so true.

Last weekend, I was helping a friend with a Wifi Driver on his computer and they expect one to fix the problem instantly.   When it is finally fixed, they show no appreciation and they blame me for future problems.

I think I'm done helping friends with their tech problems.  Especially if they're not going to appreciate it.

Main Rig: 

i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz w/ H75 Liquid CPU Cooler - Asus Maximus VII Hero - 16GB G.Skill Triedent X 2133MHz RAM - 2x Gtx 660s in SLI - 120GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD NZXT Hue - K70 RGB Keyboard - Corsair Sabre RGB - Windows 8.1 - 2x Asus VN247H-P 1080p Monitors (I'm a sucker for lighting effects)

Server: 

FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz w/ stock cooler - 8GB Crucial 1600MHz RAM - AMD Radeon HD 7450 GPU - 300W PSU - 120GB SSD - Windows 7

I had this happen to me during GYM class. (we were bored and i started talking about my gaming pc and steam games)

Friend:"I plan on upgrading my pc soon, its not very fast when playing games."

Me: "Cool, so what are you getting? New GPU, Ram, or CPU Maybe?"

Friend:"uh, im getting 250 GB of memory so it runs better."

Me:" Oh so you meant that you are running out of space or...?"

Friend: " Nah, i just want my computer to run games better."

(I explained afterwards how a Computer works) lol

GPU: GTX 7t0 ti    CPU: i5 Quad core    Ram: 4 GB (x2) DDR3    Motherboard: Lenovo Motherboard    PSU: 500w    

Memory: 1 TB

Bam Bim Bum, fixed.

Doesn't work like that.

As 'The great Marvello' tech wizard.said-

"It doesn't? Frack that's me knackered then" 

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

The 5400rpm drive in my families computer is going to s***.

Logical response : you're the only one who knows what you're doing and pecause you installed python , it must be your fault 'cause you OBVIOUSLY rewrote the OS and messed with some critical stuff

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

"Windows 10 is a virus." - A friends mom.

Main Rig: 

Server: 

Technically - it's Spyware - it just spies for MS.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Well it kinda is- spying for M$ and NSA

I would still be on XP if it supported DX11(12 is too much to ask for)

Well it kinda is- spying for M$ and NSA

I would still be on XP if it supported DX11(12 is too much to ask for)

Then it's Spyware. Not a virus.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Then it's Spyware. Not a virus.

Aren't some viruses also spyware?

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

Spyware into a system through a virus.  Sometimes Spyware are viruses or use them to carry out their functions.

The way Microsoft spies in Windows 10 is not through a virus.

Main Rig: 

Server: 

Spyware into a system through a virus.  Sometimes Spyware are viruses or use them to carry out their functions.

The way Microsoft spies in Windows 10 is not through a virus.

This is true. Would that make MSX a SpySystem?

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

I'm not exactly sure.

The user has the option to turn most of these spy features off and they agree to it when they agree to the agreement.

But most users don't read that so if it collects data without their knowledge, then MSX might be a SpySystem?

I'm open to others opinions.

Main Rig: 

Server: 

snip

I still help them even if they show no appreciation, they'll learn something when I don't help them in the future because of an event.

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I totally forgot about this one, happened a few years ago, a coworker was complaining about Windows 7 and how slow his laptop was on boot and shutdown ... I asked him to bring it and I could check it.

Next day when I start the laptop I'm greeted with the startup repair tool, surprised I asked him if if something happened (battery fell off maybe??????).

That's when it all went south... From what he told me, Windows update kept coming up when he was shutting down the laptop but "he didn't care" and wanted the damn thing to turn off immediately, so he would hold the power button to turn it off WHILE Windows was updating!!!!!!!!

*sigh* some people should be banned from owning tech!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I totally forgot about this one, happened a few years ago, a coworker was complaining about Windows 7 and how slow his laptop was on boot and shutdown ... I asked him to bring it and I could check it.

Next day when I start the laptop I'm greeted with the startup repair tool, surprised I asked him if if something happened (battery fell off maybe??????).

That's when it all went south... From what he told me, Windows update kept coming up when he was shutting down the laptop but "he didn't care" and wanted the damn thing to turn off immediately, so he would hold the power button to turn it off WHILE Windows was updating!!!!!!!!

*sigh* some people should be banned from owning tech!

I concur.

Main Rig: 

Server: 

My friend has this habit of force shutting down laptop, doesn't care even when Windows is updating or game is saving, bla bla bla.

Then lots of his files became corrupted then he came to me.

I was like...

ZMayvNM_700wa_0.gif

"You're just f*cked up."

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

They can contain Spyware, but viruses are programs that copy themselves into various parts of the system, including other programs, the OS, and drivers. Some even copy themselves into the BIOS. Spyware is software that is simply used to monitor certain activities.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

[removed]

What happened after that?

They can contain Spyware, but viruses are programs that copy themselves into various parts of the system, including other programs, the OS, and drivers. Some even copy themselves into the BIOS. Spyware is software that is simply used to monitor certain activities.

So by this definition is MSX technically Spyware?

Main Rig: 

Server: 

So by this definition is MSX technically Spyware?

It contains spyware.