Experiences with non-techies

Again, I never said that the SSD is only for your operating system, you could have multiple operating systems to boot off it and have all your applications reside on it and yes you can use it to store things on the same drive. If you were wondering, I store my space consuming data on Hard Drives, not another SSD if you were wondering. The Other SSD was because I edit video and I ran out of space on my main boot disk and editing high bitrate video takes speed.

I SMELL 1 TERABYTE SSDs!!! And a crippled wallet crawling away, not wanting anymore money to be beaten out of him...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

@Fgtfv567

I feel I must defend(ish) Cree340 here .

The type of person who calls an SSD a Windows box is likely to use Windows and only have one storage device .  Yes SSDs do not come with Windows preinstalled and they have more uses than storing O/Ses but in the main they GENERALY are solo and have the commonest O/S (Windows) installed.

What was the gibe about wallets for; do you and Cree have some sort of history, I don't know about?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

@Fgtfv567

I feel I must defend(ish) Cree340 here .

The type of person who calls an SSD a Windows box is likely to use Windows and only have one storage device .  Yes SSDs do not come with Windows preinstalled and they have more uses than storing O/Ses but in the main they GENERALY are solo and have the commonest O/S (Windows) installed.

What was the gibe about wallets for; do you and Cree have some sort of history, I don't know about?

Having an SSD that came w/ windows pre-installed w/o any bloatware would be fucking amazing though. A company should do something where if you purchase the drive directly from them, you can have software  such as windows, chrome, steam, other very common things pre-installed on the drive for the cost of the software itself.

Having an SSD that came w/ windows pre-installed w/o any bloatware would be fucking amazing though. A company should do something where if you purchase the drive directly from them, you can have software such as windows, chrome, steam, other very common things pre-installed on the drive for the cost of the software itself.

Plus £5 for 'labour charge'? I doubt there'd be a nonprofit organisation who'd do it

I doubt there'd be a nonprofit organisation who'd do it

A 'value add'?

"This too shall pass"

APPARENTLY RCA AND ATARI DID!!! NO WONDER ATARI WENT BANKRUPT!

Edit: Speaking of bad ideas, the RCA studio II had no controllers whatsoever! That meant players had to get up close and personal.....oh yeah.......around 2 numerical keypads on the console itself!! I quote the AVGN: 

BAHAHAHAHAHA

Thats amazing though xD

i watched him put the cpu in and try to figure out how to screw something in for the waterblock and then mess with a corsair dominator ram cooler.............

yeah, i peeked in for a minute and he was asking the twitch chat how to take out the drive bay covers. THEY ARE DRIVE BAY COVERS!!! HOW CAN YOU NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO TAKE OUT DRIVE BAY COVERS?!?!?!?!?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Why all the hate towards Norton?

I use OSX, and generally don't download and execute random .bat shite, so I don't need no antivirus software.

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

I get frustraited when people say I'm stupid because I use a PC when I could have a mac which is much faster.

me: "Whats so fast about it?"

them: "Programs open much faster, its much faster turn on's and everything!"

well duh, it has a PCIE SSD. But the problem is that they don't understand when I try explain that disk speeds aren't everything.

I get frustrated when people say I'm stupid because I own an iPhone 5

I get frustrated when people say I'm stupid because I own an iPhone 5

Where as I use a :-

174_01.jpg

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_c115-876.php

Spot all the "nos".

"This too shall pass"

174_01.jpg

Spot all the "nos".

I don't think anyone would take any chances with you on that one, it could be turned into a deadly projectile really easily, just looking at it. I own a nokia 3310 mainly because of it's abilities  :D

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

[snip]

Spot all the "nos".

Damn... My little sister used to have one of those. Back then those were 30€ as new. It broke within 3 weeks and she was back to using a Nokia 3310.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I use OSX, and generally don't download and execute random .bat shite, so I don't need no antivirus software.

exactly.

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LjqCoVbZ_g

Watch a non-tekkie try to install a custom loop! DISASTER! Hilarious.

can confirm, is hilarious

174_01.jpg

Spot all the "nos".

Dat standbye time vs talk time

Back then those were 30€ as new.

When I got it (say eight years ago) it was £8 (from a local supermarket), but I got a £5 talk credit with it so the actual phone was £3, a tad cheaper (and less bendy) than an iPhone 6.

"This too shall pass"

I'm not sure how it's a lie but okay...

It's a reference...

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

Because Norton is crap and f*ck you for having a Mac you lucky bastard :P

Also, scan the thing once a month or so. Mac viruses do exist. I used Clamxav while I had OSX on my (formerly) quintuple booting PC....

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Oh man I can relate to pretty much all of this haha. Telling people you know how to build computers makes them think you know how to insert a disk into the optical drive (hahaha)...

Amongst many others.

i5 2500k+Noctua NH-D14 - 8GB HyperX Blu - 240GB PNY XLR8 - Sapphire Reference 7970 - P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3 - OCZ ZX 850W

Unlike *some* people, I do not claim to be an expert computer guru.  When I make mistakes, I apologise and I own up to them.  Then, I continue to learn so that I may provide those in need with educated answers to the best of my ability.

Because Norton is crap and f*ck you for having a Mac you lucky bastard :P

Also, scan the thing once a month or so. Mac viruses do exist. I used Clamxav while I had OSX on my (formerly) quintuple booting PC....

4 OSs?! what the hell were you doing?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

4 OSs?! what the hell were you doing?

*5* And I was being a bawss :P

OSX, Ubuntu, and 3 versions of Windows. I managed to screw up Ubuntu and OSX though when I made another partition for W10....

Still don't know how...

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

*5* And I was being a bawss :P

OSX, Ubuntu, and 3 versions of Windows. I managed to screw up Ubuntu and OSX though when I made another partition for W10....

Still don't know how...

Isn't the whole point of a VM to be able to run multiple OSs without the risk of screwing stuff up? Although for whatever reason I couldn't get W10 to install properly in my VM but then I was doing it half aware and didn't even bother to thoroughly troubleshoot it. Anyways I have at least 4 different OSs installed on my main PC if I was to count the ones in a VM.

Edit: After a bit of determination over the past 20 or so mins I think I got W10 to work.

Isn't the whole point of a VM to be able to run multiple OSs without the risk of screwing stuff up? Although for whatever reason I couldn't get W10 to install properly in my VM but then I was doing it half aware and didn't even bother to thoroughly troubleshoot it. Anyways I have at least 4 different OSs installed on my main PC if I was to count the ones in a VM.

Pssh.

so our art class got 2 new rendering PC's and i decited to chek them out...

I7-4790k

GTX980 and a quidro

32gb ram...

but after that i opened conttrole panel i noticed something weard... THEY BOTH ARE RUNING 32BIT WINDOWS 8 

My school is retardet...

DONT YOU KNOW 32 BITS MEANS YOU CAN RENDER UP TO 32 VIDEOS AT ONCE. UR SKEWL IS SOOPUR NICE AND ZMART

those dipshits.......... how... just...... *sigh* last time i baught a copy of windows the 32 bit was actually more expensive..... wtf to ur skewl.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I'm not necessarily losing my tablet, my parents just think that two tablets should be sold in order for one with slightly better performance for them to watch shows off of amazon through AirPlay and onto an Apple TV. On top of this my dad just bought a 64 gig iPhone Six which serves the same purpose as the iPad Air 2 would, except it's smaller. My dad used to work for Intel, and his dad ahad a chance to help found it, so I expect better of my parents.

On a side note, if the iPhone Six Plus bends and the iPad Air 2 is thinner, will it bend? #bendgate2confirmed

take any piece of tech under half an inch and with enough force yu can bend it by hand... xD

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

A lot of times when I work in the school library in the morning I get "OMFG THIS COMPUTER WON'T PRINT" questions and it turns out that they were printing to XPS.

I have to explain that to people all the time.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300