Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Well my ps4 has been gathering dust ever since I bought it. Destiny was a bit of a waste of time and money. Story blew, and I didn't think there was enough main story missions. Pvp was ok, I guess. Bloodborne was a waste of money. It's not a bad game, not at all. I just don't like it. There isn't a clear story. It's alot of killing anything that moves, and one false step sends you back half an hour of work. No reward for progression. I just don't enjoy that sort of game. I don't want to redo a level 100 times to memorize where every enemy is and all their attack patterns. It's tedious and more work than its worth. I feel exactly the same about the dark souls games.

The M5A99FX is a good motherboard...

It is, and I won't say otherwise, but I wish I didn't get it and had just switched to Intel entirely.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Years and years ago I bought a PSP (playstation portable) while working in a remote North-western Canadian location. It was an impulse purchase because remote work gets boring.

Yeah... worst purchase ever. mini-disc media, horrible analog stick positions... just an all around awkward hand-held device. Still regret buying it to this day.

Ironically enough my PSP was one of the best impulse purchases that I've ever made.

"Rawr XD"

Dark Souls 2. It just didn't really draw me in as much as the first one on PC did :/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 750Ti
Case: Corsair Air 240 White Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB PSU: Corsair CX500 Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: SteelSeries Kinzu V2 Operating System: Windows 8.1N

call of duty advanced warfare digital download ps4

why...... lol i cant even pawn it off on someone else

Playstation 4. I almost bought parts to build a gaming PC, and it looked promising. Needless to say, I don't have it anymore. And there still aren't many interesting games for it quite yet.

Probably won't buy another one, anyway.

PC specs: Intel core i5 4690k__EVGA Geforce GTX 970 ACX Superclocked 4GB Edition__G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB DDR3 1600mhz__Corsair CX 750W PSU__Fractal Design Define R4 Mid Tower Case__Asus Maximus VI Hero LGA 1150 Mobo__Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler__1TB WD Blue HDD__Corsair K70 Red LEDs with Cherry MX Brown Switces__Steelseries Rival Gaming Mouse__Windows 10

be quiet! Dark Rock 3. Terrible mounting hardware means after the second install, I can't get the cooler to mount properly. Using a Hyper 212 EVO as a stopgap solution until I can get something better.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Spending £600+ to upgrade to a damn good PC then deciding to cheap out on a USB hub, THEN ignoring my gut feeling when something didn't seem right.

On the upside I got to upgrade to a 4690k

Getting an GT 610 installed in my parents' pre-built instead of an GT 630 (I would have to wait 2 more weeks though)

Buying this laptop (MSI GP60-2PE Leopard), could have a Toshiba with i7 for the same price.

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

I dropped my laptop down the stairs right after I bought it. 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)~~▲▲▲▲~~CanyonCoolMan~~▲▲▲▲~~( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Well, my mum has this old computer, it has DDR2 and stuff in it. I had a Ethernet card, TV tuner and I think a sound card in it, so  pulled them out, thinking I might be able to sell them, turns out one of them must've been important and it wont boot, perhaps I shorted it out?

Don't try to partition a Ubuntu install while tired as hell. When I was installing Ubuntu, I saw a partition on my SSD that I had no idea what it did, and I hadn't seen it before. So I deleted it. Ended up corrupting Windows. So when I was reinstalling windows I decided just to wipe the SSD and start fresh, so when I was partitioning that install I just spammed the delete partition button, and ended up wiping everything that was on my hard drive as well. As I said before, it was 4 in the morning and I was extremely tired.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz | Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC MATE | GPU: MSI R9 270x | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury Red | Storage: ADATA SP600 128GB / WD Blue 1TB | PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ | Monitor: Acer S220HQL Abd 21.5" | Audio: Logitech Z213 Speakers | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma | PCPartPicker Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v8FNmG

My worst mistake must have been starting to invest into my PC. It is such a big money magnet and I haven't spent money on anything but electronics for the past 4 years.

I could imagine worse things to spend money on.

On my own personal front..

Around 2005 I bought a TV tuner card. And I installed it into my PC without pulling out the power cord out of the PSU.

PC died, apart from the video card I think. It was a Slot A system. Another mistake was buying a NZXT Hades...

Was the right case at the time for me, plenty of fans etc but keeping it clean is a nightmare and the fan filters were built into the fan..

So I had to screw everything apart and when I tried to put it all back together, I found it impossible. So I just screwed the fans in without the filters...

Another mistake I believe was not replacing the thermal paste on my FX5800 and/or insufficient cooling. Had occassional BSOD's until it died in early 2010 I think.

Mine would be buying parts that are a red/black color scheme. I really wish I would've bought parts that were all black or black and yellow. I hate the red/black look. It's horrible.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I bought a GT 430 for my first computer. Man oh man was that a waste of money.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

Not buying that 500$ 4k monitor that was on sale , went back a week later and they were all sold out >.<

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

Buying amd instead of intel in the first place.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

I tried to go with a small form factor build back in 2011 before small form factor was really main stream. It was a Silverstone SG02 and had limited clearance for the cpu heatsink with only 80mm fans available. As a result, the amd 955 constantly overheated and shut down. Cable management was also a nightmare.

Arc Midi R2 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Intel i5 4690k | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair H80 | Crucial M4 128gb | 8gb 1333 Mushkin Silverline | EVGA G2 750

Filko Ninja TKL Cherry MX Black | Mionix Naos | Fiio e10k | Edifier S330D | Sennheiser HD558 | Blue Snowball | Asus PA238QR | Samsung BX2250

Mine would have to be my current case. I bought an Antec dark fleet DF-85 case with the special over sized cp-1000W PSU and two years later i regret it all. I looked around a bit but didn't do much research before i bought it. I am currently now looking at finally upgrading to a nice Corsair case and PSU.So what do you guys regret doing or buying?

A very expensive graphics card a long time ago didn't get much air in my pc... It was dead really fast...

Bought an M550 M.2 disk not realizing it was Sata3 instead of PCI-E.

Also had endless issues with my SG33G5 Shuttle not getting display until 2 years later realizing that if you put the jumpers upside down it fixed it (on this board to enable PCIE graphics instead of onboard there was a series of 8 jumpers)

For. 2. Whole. Years...

I once almost ordered a $120,000 mis-labeled R5 240... Thanks Amazon one click ordering.

64GB of RAM on consumer CPU instead of 128GB on server CPU.