Debunking the "Eyes see at 24 fps" Myth

Compl3xity_

I have been waiting to get this off of my chest. After seeing Luke trolling and the butthurt console players not being able to see that he is trolling here it is:

This myth kills me more than any other out there, due to having such a vested interest in PC gaming. This is such a common myth that it honestly makes my head hurt.

I'd like to correct this and if only 4 people walk away after seeing this thread and know better, I'll feel great. I'm going to keep this simple.

Myelinated nerves can fire between 300 to 1000 times per second in the human body and transmit information at 200 miles per hour. What matters here is how frequently these nerves can fire (or "send messages").

The nerves in your eye are not exempt from this limit. Your eyes can physiologically transmit data that quickly and your eyes/brain working together can interpret up to 1000 frames per second.

However, we know from experimenting (as well as simple anecdotal experience) that there is a diminishing return in what frames per second people are able to identify. Although the human eye and brain can interpret up to 1000 frames per second, someone sitting in a chair and actively guessing at how high a framerate is can, on average, interpet up to about 150 frames per second.

The point: 60 fps is not a 'waste'. 120 fps is not a 'waste' (provided you have a 120hz monitor capable of such display). There IS a very noticable difference between 15 fps and 60 fps. Many will say there IS a noticeable difference between 40 and 60 fps. Lastly, the limit of the human eye is NOT as low as 30-60 fps. It's just not.

The origin of the myth: The origin of the myth probably has to do with limitations of television and movies. Movies, when they were recorded on film reel, limited themselves to 24 frames per second for practical purposes. If there is a diminishing return in how many frames people can claim to actually notice, then the visual difference between 24 fps and 60 fps could not justify DOUBLING the amount of film reel required to film a movie.

With the advent of easy digital storage, these limitations are mostly arbitrary anymore.

The numbers often cited as the mythological "maximum" the eye can see are 30 fps, 40 fps, and 60 fps. 

I would guess the 60 fps "eye-seeing" limit comes from the fact that most PC monitors (and indeed many televisions now) have a maximum refresh rate of 60hz (or 60 frames per second). If a monitor has that 60 fps limit, the monitor is physically incapable of displaying more than 60 fps. This is one of the purposes of frame limiting, Vsync and adjusting refresh rate in video games.

tl;dr: The human eye can physiologically detect up to 1000 frames per second. The average human, tasked with detecting what framerate he/she is looking at, can accurately guess up to around 150 fps. That is, they can see the difference in framerates all the way to 150 fps.

But the human hand cant see over 24fps. 

Debunk that, captain obvious. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Why are you posting about this here, where 99% of the people know that the human eye can see more than 24hz.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

What kind of eyes do they have, the Sharingan? jk jk

I think you may be right about the monitors being the reason behind people believing we can "only" see up to 60.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

The last dude in the video was trolling too...

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I appreciate the time you put into this  :)  but was it not kinda obvious ubisoft was just being a derp 

~ Maybe the cup is just too big ~

It's been debunked a million times, hell Linus has even done a video on it. Wrong forum to post this on mate.

Bare in mind old CRT monitors were quite comfortable dishing out up to 85 hz. Other than that it's a nice post, but I think anyone interested would already know this.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

But the human hand cant see over 24fps. 

Debunk that, captain obvious. 

thanks, spilt my tea on my keyboard at work

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

From what I've been told by optometrist that worked on my dads eye after a tragic incident, the human eye can see higher frame rates the closer you get to the screen. The further away you are, the worse the frame rate. But hey, I was told this almost 6 years ago now. Not sure if I remember everything correctly, I was fairly shaken up..

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

thanks, spilt my tea on my keyboard at work

Was your tea moving at over 24fps? 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

For the all the people saying that this is unless I'm going g to link my friend to this because he doesn't know and it's a nice post that he would understand

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Oh my god, the amount of people who care, is TOO DAMN HIGH.  It's obvious that everybody knows this, I just thought it would be fun to rant about it again. Apparently people only just seem to just have the need to bash people for bringing up old topics.  I spent time on this, and really idgaf if people are saying "who the hell cares", I am just having a major laugh seeing how people respond. lmfao.

43Hz :(

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Above 24 FPS the average human eye can't distinguish rapid still images from a moving image.

Above that, smoothness increases. The theoretical maximum would be the rate at which changes in light levels can be communicated from the retina to the brain.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

one thing to note about your eyes, and perceived frame rates, is that your peripheral vision may see framerates differently than your focal point. Its a little strange when you really think about it, but your brain fills in a lot of pieces with your vision (what causes people to see ghosts and stuff out of the corner of their eye). I personally find when I look at a low framerate GIF image, it looks smoother when I am looking directly at it, but choppy when I am looking somewhere else. 

I personally think that if you are sitting further away from a display, more of whats on screen is in your focus, while sitting close up to a monitor while playing a pc game puts more of the screen in your peripheral vision, affecting how smooth framerates look. I have no proof of this affecting smoothness, just how my own eyes and vision works.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I just saw The Hills Have Eyes (2006) again. It was too damn choppy, I want a higher framerate :(

Please try and hide your age, no one is threatened by you. 

Why has this devolved so much?

To note, 29.97 fps is a fair step up from 24, without much more data to use. It's more... pleasing.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I just think it's entertaining how immature you guys are about real discussions. I never knew having 20,000 posts on a forum made you have the right to deliberately talk down to people. Saying it's your sense of "humor" doesn't make it any better.

Dude, you're responding the same freaking way. It's like the pot calling the kettle black.

And surprise. It is my sense of humor. You may have your own opinion on it or whatever, but I'm pretty sure I know what it is since I'm the one that actually made the post. -_-

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Yeah but the human eye can only see up to 480p.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

can't you only see what apple calls RENTA?  :D

Maybe, (maybe i am a cyborg that can see MORE)

Maybe, (maybe i am a cyborg that can see MORE)

LOL just noticed i spelled RETINA wrong LOL

Aselwyn1

The eyes don't see in frames but they interpret motion. More the frames, the better the motion will be. I'm sure there is a threshold as it will be so fast to notice, but it would make a cool slow motion clip. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

ok, the thread has been cleaned/cleared of off-topic chatter. although this topic

is in off-topic, still has the reasonably same guidelines as the forums:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/234698-posting-guidelines-please-read/

These are the specific guidelines all users must follow when posting in the Off-Topic thread. They are subject to change/update at any time.

1 - First of all, ALL the items of the CoC (Code of Conduct) apply to the Off-Topic section.

2 - The Off-Topic section is NOT for junk posts, SPAM, trolling and just any old thing.

3 - The Off-Topic section IS for productive threads that may not fall into one of the already laid out sections of the forum. At all times though, this is a tech centered and focused forum.

Any posts which are deemed by the mod staff to not meet the rules of the CoC or these guidelines will simply be deleted without warning. If you are found to have violated the core values of the CoC via a topic and/or post (attacking another member, vulgar language, racism, etc,) warning points will be assigned.

At all time when posting, remember these few key items from the CoC:

• "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.
  • No excessive/excessively off-topic threads or posts.
  • No posting nonsensical messages.
  • No "Flooding" the forum with similar meaning messages.
  • The posting solely of memes or similar images without contributing to the discussion, memes can be funny and applicable but if it is completely unrelated it is spam.
  • Do not create threads for the sole purpose of causing unrest on the forums.
  • Do not cause disturbances in forum threads such as picking fights or insulting other members.
  • Do not make non-constructive posts for the purpose of causing unrest.  This includes posting LMGTFY links.
  • No replying to a thread simply to call the author a troll (regardless of whether the post is actually trolling)

We are working to make this a productive and positive environment for all and the Off-Topic section must maintain these standards.

Thank you all for your contributions to the LTT forum!

please stay on topic, as the admins are not too happy about all this chest-beating

banter. if you cannot add to the topic, do not reply. easily said.