Coming to Chromebooks Near You - GeForce Now

Summary

Nvidia has just added Chromebooks to the list of devices that support GeForce Now. This makes it the second game streaming platform available for chromebook users. The other being Google Stadia.

GeForce now does have a free tier which allows you to play games you own on steam, uplay, or epic games. However, there is a time limit to gaming sessions. 

While this will run on many low end chromebooks, they must have atleast a 15Mbps internet connection, Intel Core M3 7th gen, Intel HD 600 graphics, and 4gb of ram. While this does mean the very low end chromebooks will not work, many of the laptops will. There have however been reports of people with specs lower than this running the games so no reason not to try if you do have a chromebook.

Quotes

Chromebook owners now can game like a PC user with Nvidia’s free cloud-gaming service GeForce Now

The service has already been available for Windows, Mac, and Android devices as a way to enjoy PC gaming without buying extra hardware. Instead, Nvidia’s GeForce Now streams games to your laptop or smartphone via the internet. 

On Tuesday, Nvidia expanded its cloud-gaming service to cover Chrome OS with a beta launch. The goal is to target kids, given that Chromebooks usually end up in the hands of students. “Now, those same Chromebooks transform, instantly, into GeForce-powered distance gaming rigs, thanks to GeForce Now,” the company wrote in today’s announcement. 

(Credit: Nvidia)

Parents and teachers may not welcome the idea. But GeForce Now is designed to help gamers save on costs, and pave the way for remote gaming anywhere. It'll also offer an alternative to Google's pricier cloud gaming service, Stadia, which also supports Chromebooks.

To run GeForce Now, the user needs a 15Mbps or higher internet connection. The Chromebook will then get remote access to an Nvidia server, allowing the owner to log into their Steam, UPlay, or Epic Games account to run titles they've already purchased.  

Unfortunately, not every gaming developer has been on board with GeForce Now. So certain titles from Activision Blizzard and Bethesda won’t be available. But the service still offers access to 650 games, according to Nvidia. 

For Chromebook users, Nvidia says your hardware will need to meet these requirements: 

• Intel Core M3 (7th gen and later), Intel Core i3, Intel Core i5, or Intel Core i7

• Intel HD graphics 600 or later

• 4GB of system memory or higher

(pcmag)

My thoughts

Schools are not going to like this. I can definitely see student's using this to play Fortnite in class. Especially while doing distance learning. Other than that, I think this is great and allows even more people to get a good gaming experience.

Sources

pcmag

cnet

The Verge

pcgamer

forbes

tom's guide

*I have not gone through all of these article, so if there is more information I missed, please let me know

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Depends on the school, if we're talking about High School, then it's gonna be obvious who's clearly playing a game with their chromebook in the physical class, but unless it's all eLearning, I don't think it'd be too hard for school districts to block websites and certain apps from running on their distributed chromebooks.

If we're talking about college/universities, most profs don't care, hell I was playing osu, Dirt rally in the middle of a lecture. I don't have the audio blasting out through my headphones. As long as it's not too obnoxious you won't get in trouble.

I don't see this being that well used at schools. Most have some form of data cap - the one I went to years ago had 80MB/month per student. With around 300GB/month max for the school.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I don't see this being that well used at schools. Most have some form of data cap - the one I went to years ago had 80MB/month per student. With around 300GB/month max for the school.

Fire up The Witcher and witness your machine burning thru the cap in 5 seconds.

Obligatory tagging of @Gegger and @sub68even though I'm sure you guys school districts will have Geforce now Blacklisted pretty quickly, just letting you know 🤍

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Y'all be talking about school wifi, and I might as well put my wifi in here. 

My school has the most unusual wifi. I ran a speed test today, and was getting 1.11mb down, but 53.5 MB down up,So, I guess that YouTube can bairly run, but uploading to youtube would be a brease.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, soldier_ph said:

Obligatory tagging of @Gegger and @sub68even though I'm sure you guys school districts will have Geforce now Blacklisted pretty quickly, just letting you know 🤍

My school hasn't yet. I'll message you when they do.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

1.11mb down, but 53.5 MB down

up?

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Just now, wall03 said:

up?

Yes.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Maybe not in colleges, but in high schools and lower where you don’t need to sign in for the WiFi. The school district I used to go to had no data cap. It was often slow, but when it worked, it worked well enough that streaming a game would be possible.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

1 hour ago, vortextech77 said:

Bruh

Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 10.46.37 AM.png

Ha. My Chromebooks at school have a keystroke monitor and history monitor now, and my home one doesn't have the newest version of chrome, so it doesn't work. :(

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

Ha. My Chromebooks at school have a keystroke monitor and history monitor now, and my home one doesn't have the newest version of chrome, so it doesn't work. :(

FeelsBadMan

1 hour ago, vortextech77 said:

FeelsBadMan

Have you tried a VPN?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

Have you tried a VPN?

8 minutes ago, vortextech77 said:

True, I might do that actually

I believe GeForce now trys to block VPNs, so it might not work.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

All those middle schoolers who's parents brought them a Chromebook for at home "school work" are screaming with glee. 

...that or they don't know what GeForce is. idk I'm not plugged in with the kids these days.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

• 1 month later...

Will this work on a Raspberry pi 😃

How awesome would it be to play Witcher 3 on max settings at 120 fps on a rpi 

For a moment I thought Nvidia is providing driver support for Chromebooks.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

Does even ChromeOS run on Chrome Books?!

Um... Chrome OS is the official OS that Chromebooks come shipped with.

https://www.google.com/intl/en_ca/chromebook/chrome-os/

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

lol I remember the mac pros being used for games in some classes. 5770 try so hard

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs