Am I becoming a reactionary? (trigger warnings in games)

Andreas Lilja

Or this is so close to parody?

The developers of 'Grounded' made spiders the big enemy of their new game, then suddenly realized a bunch of people were too scared to play it. They decided to find a real solution.

When you first start Grounded, a stylish new survival game from RPG developer Obsidian where shrunken players explore a backyard full of unexpected dangers, the game asks a surprising question: Are you afraid of spiders?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pkyxam/spiders-are-a-popular-video-game-monster-theyre-also-an-accessibility-problem

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

There are plenty of Skyrim mods that removes spiders (or changes them into something else), so I suspect this is a real issue for many many people.

Over the years I have seen people ask "Does X game have spiders as an enemy", so it definitely is something people look at.

As some who does not suffer from arachnophobia, actually kinda likes spiders (in a 'wow, what a cool animal!'-way), it is not something I consider. At the same time though, I appreciate game developers taking this in mind.

I see this in the same way as I look at Steam's PCMR/WSGF-like groups marking a game as "21:9 native support"/"xyz VR headset supported"/etc. Something most people won't think about, but those who do will appreciate.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I really get tired of the idea of arachnophobia. There's nothing irrational about being afraid of tiny, potentially deadly and silent killers running around your house. So small you can barely see them, they make no sound, and there are probably 12 within 20 feet of everyone reading this comment.

That being said, I enjoy nothing more than destroying spiders in any game in which I come across them.

The arachnid menace must be destroyed.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I almost didn't buy Grounded until my friend (Who had already purchased it) told me about the Arachnophobia mode. I also have this feature turned on in Satisfactory as well.

I mean fair enough to cater to people but also...... you serious 

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I really get tired of the idea of arachnophobia. There's nothing irrational about being afraid of tiny, potentially deadly and silent killers running around your house. So small you can barely see them, they make no sound, and there are probably 12 within 20 feet of everyone reading this comment.

I just can't imagine being so scared of something that even seeing it on TV or a picture of one could make you shit your pants. Not liking them in general, fine. I don't love having wolf spiders around the house either.

In any case, there's mounting evidence that trigger warnings either do nothing, or counter-actively enforce bad mental behavior.

https://slate.com/technology/2019/07/trigger-warnings-research-shows-they-dont-work-might-hurt.html

I specifically remember watching something some years ago about trying to get people to be less afraid of arachnids by slowly introducing them to photos, videos, and even a VR walkthrough through a "home" with a spider on a table or something.

Long story short, figure out how to overcome irrational fears. Being afraid of spiders in a game is irrational, and is probably actually a pretty good way to overcome the fear.

#Muricaparrotgang

42 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I just can't imagine being so scared of something that even seeing it on TV or a picture of one could make you shit your pants. Not liking them in general, fine. I don't love having wolf spiders around the house either.

In any case, there's mounting evidence that trigger warnings either do nothing, or counter-actively enforce bad mental behavior.

https://slate.com/technology/2019/07/trigger-warnings-research-shows-they-dont-work-might-hurt.html

I specifically remember watching something some years ago about trying to get people to be less afraid of arachnids by slowly introducing them to photos, videos, and even a VR walkthrough through a "home" with a spider on a table or something.

Long story short, figure out how to overcome irrational fears. Being afraid of spiders in a game is irrational, and is probably actually a pretty good way to overcome the fear.

Being afraid of spiders is not irrational, was my point.

The other point is that I am not so afraid of them that I cannot stand seeing them on a screen. I just don't like them in my house, or within 5 feet of me if not inside my house.

5 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

That being said, I enjoy nothing more than destroying spiders in any game in which I come across them.

You don’t think that when you go the Pacific islands and Australia. I walked in my room I was staying in and nearly shat myself. Had to get it with a knife to get rid of it. 

5 hours ago, minibois said:

There are plenty of Skyrim mods that removes spiders (or changes them into something else), so I suspect this is a real issue for many many people.

Over the years I have seen people ask "Does X game have spiders as an enemy", so it definitely is something people look at.

Mods don't bother me, but the whole effect on game design does. "Let's stop including these 283723 things because it might trigger someone". Especially when these 283723 things somehow include S-P-I-D-E-R-S.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Being afraid of spiders is not irrational, was my point.

The other point is that I am not so afraid of them that I cannot stand seeing them on a screen. I just don't like them in my house, or within 5 feet of me if not inside my house.

You entirely missed the point.

1. Being afraid of spiders to the point of arachnophobia, is irrational. Disliking spiders and staying away from them is not really arachnophobia. Most spiders aren't that venomous, and most spiders aren't that aggressive.
  2. Being afraid of spiders on TV is 100% irrational.
  3. Using trigger warnings is only detrimental to the mental health of the people it's supposedly trying to help
  4. Playing a game with spiders in it is probably a pretty decent form of exposure therapy.
  5. Spiders are cute.

#Muricaparrotgang

A friend of mine didnt play Skyrim because he shits his pants when he see a spider.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

10 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Mods don't bother me, but the whole effect on game design does. "Let's stop including these 283723 things because it might trigger someone". Especially when these 283723 things somehow include S-P-I-D-E-R-S.

To me spiders are not an integral part of a game, so I won't complain about a game studio deciding to not use them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

but really I would be all for an option to get 'substitute' enemies for people who are really so afraid of spiders, the imagery of one would make them uncomfortable.

My enjoyment of a game shouldn't go over the back of other who can't enjoy it.

Unless they start touching my boys Spinarak and Ariados (who are in my top 5 and top 10 favorite Pokemon respectively)!

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

"Listen, m#therf#cker, I'll supply you with all the flies you need as long as you stick to your web. Capiche?" 

F*** that! that one has a mana bar!! | Moon princess, I ...

[Quelaag intensifies]

Spoiler

I really don't mind adding trigger warnings for things that could cause fear. I have a fear of heights and any VR game that specifically has a falling section is deathly scary once I'm fully immersed. Though I do think that Skyrim spiders are fucking OP as f#ck! How many fucking storm atronachs do I f#cking need to kill you! JUST DIE!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

17 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Unfortunately there is a difference between being scared of something and a  psychological phobia 

that doesn‘t mean you can’t „ cure „ a phobia 

it‘s definitely possible 

But I can understand your post

sometimes i get really mad for example at people who are scared of flying

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

13 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Hmmm

unless you live in Australia

Spoiler

There is the very low low risk of getting bitten by a venomous spider hiding in your toilet 

but if you call a doctor you probably won’t die 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

17 hours ago, minibois said:

There are plenty of Skyrim mods

And also for Star Wars Jedi fallen Order

RIP console players 

hope EA gets an arachnophobia mode for those people 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

I mean... why not? If you like spiders you don't have to turn the feature on. Options are welcome.

Similarly, more games need modes for those with visual impairments, most notably colour vision deficiencies.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

4 hours ago, minibois said:

My enjoyment of a game shouldn't go over the back of other who can't enjoy it.

How do you feel about easy modes?

2 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Similarly, more games need modes for those with visual impairments, most notably colour vision deficiencies.

One is an irrational fear that people need to overcome. The other is an actual medical condition people have no control over. You can't just overcome color blindness like phobias.

#Muricaparrotgang

20 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

How do you feel about easy modes?

Not sure what this is trying to bait me into, but as someone who is generally pretty bad at videogames: I like that Easy Mode exists. Most of the game balancing should probably take place around a Medium difficulty setting though.

Why does this remind me of honey I shrunk the kids so much?

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

36 minutes ago, minibois said:

Not sure what this is trying to bait me into, but as someone who is generally pretty bad at videogames: I like that Easy Mode exists. Most of the game balancing should probably take place around a Medium difficulty setting though.

A lot of people flipped their shit because some people think an easy mode destroys games and any/all enjoyment for them because other people might play it on a lesser difficulty.

#Muricaparrotgang

18 hours ago, FibonKylix said:

I also have this feature turned on in Satisfactory as well.

The glitching cats are still kind of spooky though.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

15 hours ago, JZStudios said:

You entirely missed the point.

1. Being afraid of spiders to the point of arachnophobia, is irrational. Disliking spiders and staying away from them is not really arachnophobia. Most spiders aren't that venomous, and most spiders aren't that aggressive.
  2. Being afraid of spiders on TV is 100% irrational.
  3. Using trigger warnings is only detrimental to the mental health of the people it's supposedly trying to help
  4. Playing a game with spiders in it is probably a pretty decent form of exposure therapy.
  5. Spiders are cute.

You w0t m8?

5 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

Unfortunately there is a difference between being scared of something and a  psychological phobia 

that doesn‘t mean you can’t „ cure „ a phobia 

it‘s definitely possible 

But I can understand your post

sometimes i get really mad for example at people who are scared of flying

Yet another fear I find entirely rational. 

It's not the flying, it's the trusting someone else with my life part.

21 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Yet another fear I find entirely rational. 

It's not the flying, it's the trusting someone else with my life part.

You ever ride passenger in a car? Or take city transport? Same thing, yet no one flips shit about driving somewhere, despite the fact they're far safer in an airplane.

(from the internet)

The average person living in the United States has a 1 in 102 chance of dying in a car crash, compared to a 1 in 205,552 chance of dying as a passenger on an airplane. This means that you are more than 2,000 times more likely to die in a car than on a plane.

So a fear of flying is 100% irrational.

#Muricaparrotgang