Android has 5000 mAh batteries - imagine if Apple did the same.

Every year, Android smartphones manage to cram bigger and bigger batteries into their smartphones. Most 2020 smartphones are between 4000 and 4500, and some of them do reach the 5000 mark.

Meanwhile, every time Apple launches a new iPhone, the battery size is always a big disappointment for me: 3000 mAh on average. They make up for with the raw efficiency and RAM management of iOS, but this only leaves me wondering: what if? What if they did bother with a bigger battery?

Imagine the disgustingly high battery life that the ROG Phone II (6000 mAh! Twice that of all iPhones, except the 11 Pro Max) if it was an Apple device running iOS.

Wasted potential I say.

They have bettery battery management but it always comes to "muscle memory". You will use your phone more if you have better autonomy, and charge it every night, so if it's not 2-3 days use, companies don't care to put bigger batteries

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

You want to sacrifice 0.2mm of thickness of your iPhone? Are you insane?!

No that would be insane. 

I can't hold a phone that's thicker than 0.000000000000000000001mm. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

No that would be insane. 

I can't hold a phone that thicker than 0.000000000000000000001mm. 

a 'cutting edge' tech, I see!

Just now, WereCat said:

a 'cutting edge' tech, I see!

It's so good looking some people call it a paper. ;)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

If it's too thick, it will get fat-shamed by billions of transistors with for example 7 nm gate length, can't have that.

I think Apple doesn't opt for bigger batteries, because it can get away with the current ones, saving cost. On top of that, it can advertise shorter charging times (for the same charging current of course).

24 minutes ago, WereCat said:

You want to sacrifice 0.2mm of thickness of your iPhone? Are you insane?!

While I do get the obvious joke, this isn't even a good excuse.

The Galaxy Note 10+ is thinner than the iPhone(s) 11, yet it manages to have a 4200 mAh battery AND a whole pen into the damn thing.

51 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

It's so good looking some people call it a paper. ;)

But what about the cooling? Or the headphone jack?

3 minutes ago, Cloaked said:

Or the headphone jack?

All the IO you need.

Including type A

Build Log: 

2 hours ago, Joseph K said:

Imagine comparing the most popular brand to every single one of it's competitors combined.

The one and only notorious Android phone maker I can think of who cram smaller batteries in their smartphones than Apple is Google, and that's part of the reason why the Pixel 4 was a massive disappointment for the tech community.

Usually something needs to be comparably better to replace it. People usually get a full day out of their iPhones, so it’s good enough you don’t notice the smaller battery.

there are already 6000mah ANDROID phone 

you remember how long it took for apple to make larger screen?

remove camera bump?

sd card?

remove huge chin and bottom?

wireless charging?

APPLE NEVER LEARNS

2 hours ago, dfsgsfa said:

you remember how long it took for apple to make larger screen?

larger != better

remove camera bump?

Same for most high end androids

sd card?

Good point. iPhones are very capable smartphones and if used to the full potential they may need more storage down the road.

remove huge chin and bottom?

this is debatable. They implemented a notch for a reason. People who don't like it either stay on ios because of the ecosystem or just switch to android. 

wireless charging?

I think they implemented it into the iphone 8 the same year samsung released the s8, but im not entirely sure.

Back to the topic: Apple can totally make a 5000mah battery iPhone for what they are priced at and it would take a lot of time to charge them with the 18w charger(if they decide include it in the box ofc).

13 hours ago, 7412 said:

Every year, Android smartphones manage to cram bigger and bigger batteries into their smartphones. Most 2020 smartphones are between 4000 and 4500, and some of them do reach the 5000 mark.

Meanwhile, every time Apple launches a new iPhone, the battery size is always a big disappointment for me: 3000 mAh on average. They make up for with the raw efficiency and RAM management of iOS, but this only leaves me wondering: what if? What if they did bother with a bigger battery?

Imagine the disgustingly high battery life that the ROG Phone II (6000 mAh! Twice that of all iPhones, except the 11 Pro Max) if it was an Apple device running iOS.

Wasted potential I say.

Bigger batteries are bad for the environment. More efficient phones are the way to go.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

My iPhone 11 with it’s 3 AH battery outlasted my prior Android phone with a substantially larger 4 AH battery. 

Even with a larger battery, my Android (LeEco Le Pro 3with LineageOS) still went through a few percent in standby usage over a night, while my iPhone remains exactly where I left it come morning. This was after using every trick in the book (shutting off gps, Bluetooth, wifi, battery saver enabled, etc) to keep standby power down on my Android. Putting it into airplane mode brought it much closer to parity with the iPhone, but losing the radio is a pretty major trade off at that point, and I may as well power off the phone entirely. 

With moderate usage (fair bit of browsing and some FaceTime), a genuine 2 days worth of battery life is within easy grasp.  40% is plenty for a work day. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

8 hours ago, EL02 said:

think they implemented it into the iphone 8 the same year samsung released the s8, but im not entirely sure

samsung had wireless charging since S3 , lg too.

ie 5 yr ahead

samsung had wireless charging since S3 , lg too.

ie 5 yr ahead

Lol my bad.

Do you guys stare at your phone all day? Do you ever go outside? I’m guessing probably not. I know you guys don’t care, but I would rather not walk around with a 5000 mah lipo in my pocket. 

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

I walk with a 4700 mAh battery in my pocket and I barely notice.

26 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Do you guys stare at your phone all day? Do you ever go outside? I’m guessing probably not. I know you guys don’t care, but I would rather not walk around with a 5000 mah lipo in my pocket. 

It's not gonna explode.

Ohhh. Like those Samsung phones that kept exploding. I use 3S 5000mah packs on my RC.. that’s a lot of punch. You guys are going to do what you guys do, I’m just saying I wouldn’t want to have that much lipo in my pocket.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's