Here's How YOU Can Help Find a Cure for COVID-19!

jakkuh_t

I am not sure anyone cares, but GPU has picked up a WU, so it is working, just a bit of patience required.

4 hours ago, sowon said:

It's only just because we COVID-19 folders are completing WUs faster than they can be made! :D Testament to the efforts of the people around the world.

More people means faster completions, even if it means some of us like you and I don't get any new WUs.

Does this mean that people who pause frequently are hurting the research due to the lack of supply of WUs? 

Been folding for the better part of 10 years and following f@h since around 2003. Sorry LMG but I rock my own team :P

I started with a P4 laptop doing CPU only projects, barely making any points to even make a dent in my standings. I really wanted to climb the points ladder especially seeing the impressive folding rigs guys like Atlas Folder were rocking back in the day. My second folding attempt fared better after I was able to get CUDA drivers on a newer laptop and fold with my GPU - now I was hitting 40,000 PPD which for a laptop was a very decent number... back in 2008 anyway.

Fast forward to 2014 and I built myself a beast of a desktop system - a 5960X loaded with FOUR water-cooled 980Ti's. Now I was able to break 2 million PPD, equivalent to what a single 2080Ti would get you today.

I don't want to reveal who I am in the folding stats but my effort has been notable. I am now at over 2 billion total points with over 40,000 completed work units. I am well within the top 200 active individual users in the world while my team is knocking the door of the top 100.

All that said, for a long time my major fear with f@h was that it would destroy hardware. It is critical that the stuff you run this software on can handle the temperatures. Most laptops will die prematurely if you run the CPU and GPU at 100% constantly. Even with desktops you want to make sure your CPU and GPU are cooled VERY well, do not have their voltages cranked under load and are running stable (no overclocks). Invest in the best power supply!!! My rig has been holding up well considering that it's been running for the last 5 years on a 24/7 schedule without any major failure (knock on wood).

And no, you don't need a rack of expensive multiple servers to make an impression - even a single box with a pair of RTX Titans would beat my setup easily and outperform what many smaller teams are doing.

Be wary as well that the f@h EULA requires the permission of the hardware owner to run - if you deploy this on your work computers (or server) just make sure you get permission from the boss, otherwise you can risk getting fired big time.

I don't want to reveal who I am in the folding stats but my effort has been notable. I am now at over 2 billion total points with over 40,000 completed work units

You use the same user name @Luscious on team IGPOnTheMove. 522,439 PPD, looking good!! Rank 133 OneManArmy!

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You use the same user name @Luscious on team IGPOnTheMove. 522,439 PPD, looking good!! Rank 133 OneManArmy!

Thanks! I'm trying to avoid the notoriety but yes, I am a one man army :D

Just now, Luscious said:

Thanks! I'm trying to avoid the notoriety but yes, I am a one man army :D

I've been watching you for a while. Our team to overtake yours in a few months before all this Corona-19 folding craze went into blaze!! 

I have a 980 that I folded on for quite a while (on and off) did many cpu work units through the browser deal. That was fun. 2700x could knock em' out boy! But it wasn't popular enough, so they abandoned the fun. Wonder if now would be a good time to bring it back hmm...... 

Folding now for team OCN - it's my main forum and have historically folded for them. I'll switch teams - you guys have better prizes lol.

I immediately got the SARS COV-2 WU on my GPU (GTX 1080 OC'd). Waiting for one on my CPU.

Delid 8600K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 | Phantex Enthoo Pro M SE | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX100 256GB | 3TB Toshiba P300 | Corsair AX750 Custom Sleeved | Dell U2515H | Custom Hardline Tubing: EK Supremacy + 240 Coolstream PE + DDC 3.1 Pump Res Combo/Extended Res/Meyhems Pastel White | Corsair K95 Platinum | Corsair M65 RGB | Bose Speakers + Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro + AKG K240 MkII + Shure 840 | W10 Pro | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/socom_hero/saved/#view=NF74CJ

17 hours ago, chainmail06 said:

Can you run this on a laptop without damaging it? I'm new to computers and i've heard that doing stuff like this can damage it.

Do beware that heat is impact lifespan of computer/laptop. for laptop,especially the battery.

and Heat cycling do impact capacitor that computer/laptop have all over the place more that heat alone. if you plan to use it for very very long(like5-10year) time consider this in your mind. 

-------

why not make a follow up video how to set up for normies computer. and people that can't afford that high power bill.

I  use to run grid computing  Folding@HOME , BOINC(not sure what it's call any more long time ago)  and some of Microsoff one.

I prefer the basic BOINC at that time cause it have many project going on. you can choose project to participate and help the world in different way.

and that do it before something actually happen like climate change prediction.

I am not sure anymore how thing setup this day.(it's blow up my computer once  cause I have bad PSU and then I stop)

follow up like Video on How to use this on mid-range computer and that computer that still on daily use.

like how to setup auto-scheduling or other shutdown to save some power bill or when to freaking hot so one does not fry their own computer on summer(we are worldwide not just North America), to not interupt the work. or how to select other project.(The worlds problem does have one thing. Boi , admit the reality pls)

sorry, for my weird Engirsh.

/Sip_Mulbberry _Tea

edit:

@Luscious

Been folding for the better part of 10 years and following f@h since around 2003. Sorry LMG but I rock my own team :P

back in those day I use old celeron to do grid computing do manual scheduling and one day I make a mistake ramp it up to 100% while I am away from home and blow my computer. only IBM harddrive survive.

good old day of grid computing and smell of burning computer. 

------

just found out there is also this project name like this DENIS@Home , LOL

if you have 2 machines, can they both run with your same username and passkey, simultaneously?

I have a machine at work that stays on 24/7 that I dont use a ton, but my home PC is more powerful, so I was just going to use both.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

2 minutes ago, Zberg said:

if you have 2 machines, can they both run with your same username and passkey, simultaneously?

Yes :)

2 minutes ago, Zberg said:

I have a machine at work that stays on 24/7 that I dont use a ton, but my home PC is more powerful, so I was just going to use both.

The more, the merrier!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

With Rosetta@home it's annoying if you set it to operate at lets say 50% load, instead of alternating workloads between cores to have global 50% usage or make WU's alternate through cores so the heat and global CPU usage doesn't hugely fluctuate, it's doing in cycles of 1 second 100% load, next second 0% load, 3rd second 100% load, 4th second 0% load on all cores at exact same time. Similar is observed on the wall meter, consumption jumping from 150 to 250W constantly. I don't think that's good for anything in PC. Not CPU, not all the capacitors, not the PSU etc.

So I got my passkey from folding@home.com got signed up with that and Linus Tech Tips Team but I noticed that there isn't a way to chose COVID-19.  The only selections are Any Disease, and 4 individual diseases but not COVID-19.  Not that I don't want to support those but at this time I'd rather contribute to COVID.  Am I missing something?

You need to set Any and whenever there's work to do for COVID that's what you'll get.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

10 minutes ago, Boyce1 said:

So I got my passkey from folding@home.com got signed up with that and Linus Tech Tips Team but I noticed that there isn't a way to chose COVID-19.  The only selections are Any Disease, and 4 individual diseases but not COVID-19.  Not that I don't want to support those but at this time I'd rather contribute to COVID.  Am I missing something?

Set it to any disease. There's no way for them to change the drop down box options without releasing a new version of the software.
They're prioritising Covid-19 at the moment so almost all work units are projects related to Covid-19.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Thanks for the replies guys!  I'm old and have an increasing propensity for screwing things up these days and wanted to make sure I had this setup correctly.

I also have a Plex server that I think I'll add folding to.  Can I use the same user name and passkey on more than one PC?

Thanks agin!

46 minutes ago, Boyce1 said:

Can I use the same user name and passkey on more than one PC?

Yes you can!
Just set the same username, team ID#, and Passkey the same and all the work units you complete with be credited to the same account.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Never thought id be on a forum again, but here i am. And now im folding too. 
Lets help end covid-19

Well I guess it is working!  All cores are @100% and Fah shows it is using 95% CPU.  The website says it is loading so hopefully it's doing something productive!  Now on to load it on my Plex server!

I've been waiting 24 hours for a WU for either CPU or GPU. I know part of the problem is that I'm on the second worst internet possible, but it is what it is, sorry guys. I didn't even realize I hadn't re-installed the client when I did my last clean windows install.

Seems like it's really only allocating GPU based WU's.  My 22 core Xeon box only got 1 random WU but my GPUs have been getting steady hit.  Seems to also prefer the Titan X (maxwell) even though my 1080Ti is faster (EIDT: looks like my 1080Ti is stuck trying to send the data, servers getting crushed).  Definitely has more resources than there is work available.

So I'm just having 22 cores crunch on Rosetta @ Home which doesn't support gpu compute but still has covid work to do.

EDIT EDIT: looks like msft just gave them more servers in Azure so congestion probably going down.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

21 hours ago, SOCOM_HERO said:

Folding now for team OCN - it's my main forum and have historically folded for them. I'll switch teams - you guys have better prizes lol.

I immediately got the SARS COV-2 WU on my GPU (GTX 1080 OC'd). Waiting for one on my CPU.

Seems odd that my CPU doesn't appear to be picking up, my GPUs have done several, but not the CPU.

See the poster above is having the same issue.  Not sure why that would be, maybe speed related? But I would have thought my i7 4690k was more powerful than a couple of GTX 970s?

Edited by Dravinian
Missed a post.

23 hours ago, Luscious said:

Been folding for the better part of 10 years and following f@h since around 2003. Sorry LMG but I rock my own team :P

I started with a P4 laptop doing CPU only projects, barely making any points to even make a dent in my standings. I really wanted to climb the points ladder especially seeing the impressive folding rigs guys like Atlas Folder were rocking back in the day. My second folding attempt fared better after I was able to get CUDA drivers on a newer laptop and fold with my GPU - now I was hitting 40,000 PPD which for a laptop was a very decent number... back in 2008 anyway.

Fast forward to 2014 and I built myself a beast of a desktop system - a 5960X loaded with FOUR water-cooled 980Ti's. Now I was able to break 2 million PPD, equivalent to what a single 2080Ti would get you today.

I don't want to reveal who I am in the folding stats but my effort has been notable. I am now at over 2 billion total points with over 40,000 completed work units. I am well within the top 200 active individual users in the world while my team is knocking the door of the top 100.

All that said, for a long time my major fear with f@h was that it would destroy hardware. It is critical that the stuff you run this software on can handle the temperatures. Most laptops will die prematurely if you run the CPU and GPU at 100% constantly. Even with desktops you want to make sure your CPU and GPU are cooled VERY well, do not have their voltages cranked under load and are running stable (no overclocks). Invest in the best power supply!!! My rig has been holding up well considering that it's been running for the last 5 years on a 24/7 schedule without any major failure (knock on wood).

And no, you don't need a rack of expensive multiple servers to make an impression - even a single box with a pair of RTX Titans would beat my setup easily and outperform what many smaller teams are doing.

Be wary as well that the f@h EULA requires the permission of the hardware owner to run - if you deploy this on your work computers (or server) just make sure you get permission from the boss, otherwise you can risk getting fired big time.

i total agree. i run prime grid normal... and if you need to out right break gear from cpu,mobo,psu,gpu they have some wu that will do that.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

gonna probably be annoying, new to folding, long time youtube lurker. Just built my 2nd ryzen machine and was browsing my recommendations when this popped up. Is there a link to that forums post "tracking" that was shared in the main video? Also i assume if i see no team and waiting on the visualizer then i am in the wait cycle due to LTT overloading them? :)

Question: if I have "I support research fighting:" set to "Any disease", is this correct? I see no option for COVID19.

Is there anything particular that you need to do with the 5700xt to improve performance. I am going to set it up on my sim rig computer that has a 2070 super in it but this machine i am on runs a 5700 xt and noticed many are discussing team green cards