Do you try to help people in computer stores?

-ism

Today my friend CJ and I went to Frys to buy a USB3 cable for an external hard drive, and well, there was this couple building a PC. They were being rather dumb, like buying a fan for EVERY slot in their case. Anyways, I asked the man if he was building a PC and he said yeah, but with a rude tone and essentially gave me the cold shoulder. This may be due to the fact that I am only 17, but who knows. 

Anyways, do you guys ever go out of your way to help the people making silly purchasing decisions at electronics stores? I feel so bad everytime I see some poor sap wasting their money...

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

I try, but when most people see that I'm 13 (it's hard to tell from the back, I'm fairly tall.) they tell me to go away and stop interfering in something I don't know anything about.

Gaming and Editing: Intel Core i7-4930k 4.6Ghz 6-Core Processor - EK Supremacy CSQ CPU WaterblockASUS P9X79 ATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866 Memory - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black 1200Mhz 6GB W/ EK FC780 Ti Nickel Waterblock Graphics Card  - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x3 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD x2 - Fractal Design Define R4 Window Modded - BitFenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 140mm Fan x1 - BitFenix Spectre PWM LED 120mm Fan x4 - Corsair HX850 80 Plus Gold Modular Power SupplyMicrosoft Windows 8 64-bit Operating System

I try. I really do. Some people ask my opinion on things, and proceed to do what i said wouldnt be a good idea, like spend $60 on an optical drive to only install windows. Or get a non K series processor paired with a h100i. 

PC Specs

Intel i5 4670k 4.2ghz @1.20v | Cooler Master 212 Plus | Asus z87-A | Fractal Design Define R4 |Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD | 2x Samsung 840 EVO | Seasonic 520w m12II | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb DDR3 1600mhz | PowerColor 7870 GHz edition | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | NZXT Hue RGB Controller

i dont like talking to "people" their strange things.....

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Today at Frys they had an 1800$ built-by-them PC and it only had a 660 ti yet it had 4th gen i7. The cable management was pretty nice though.

They also a had a "Gaming PC" for 1200$ with a GTX 640. 

I feel so sorry for all the poor people who even THINK about buying these horrid systems.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

I do too whenever I see someone most of the time. but hey 90% of the people reject my opinion.

Live your life like a dream.

I once went to my local shop and the guy working there told me that microsft has never made a 3 pack version of windows and would not believe me.

Later I went to a different shop asking if they had a certain psu cable extension and they argued with me saying that I didn't need it.

Bottom line, I won't go into another PC shop unless it's just for kicks or to apply for a part time job.

-Edit: Also the first shop I was talking about, said that they don't get a discount from their retailer for being a frequent buyer as a computer shop. I call bull.

But anyways on subject. No I don't try to help people at shops. It's their own problem.

I have made best buy loose some much money. whenever people go to look at the 80"+ TV's i tell them that they will get a better picture due to smaller tv's having a higher pixel density and always talk them into getting 40" tv's and the such. I also tell people to not get the rocketfish cables and things like that. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

If people are asking for help and can't get help from staff I'd help out. But usually I like people to learn the hard way :D

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I don't bother because it's not my job to do so. And if it's a place like Bestbuy, they don't help their customers to save money, they sell them products as a part of their incentives to profit.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

If I am near by I might tell them something like, "you might want to consider [option X] instead of [option Y] since it's probably better for you." That's as far I go since many people might find it to be rude being bothered by other shoppers. If they want to hear more of my opinion and ask for help, then if I got time I would help them out.

I work at best buy.

It's my job :D

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

It's good to help people specially those un tech savy ones. they give you a big laugh to their mistakes. xD.

like this one for example.

some dude asking about a video card, seller ask how big 1gb 2gb 3gb. buyer knows jack shit says 2gb should be fine. seller then offers those gt630 something like that and say it has 2gb and it's cheaper than most gb and you can play on it. I asked the buyer what is his budget and he told me around 220$ (us converted) then I asked does it have to be nvidia? or he doesn't mind looking at amd alternatives. he said amd should be good too. told him the R270 it is better both in specs and architechture higher in price too. then the seller just told him to grab 2 of those gt630 which gives better performance (I don't have gt630 but I believe it's junk) so the dude did buy 2 of them. next day later he comes back wanted to exchange to what I told him (I hang out in the store a lot). too bad they don't let people exchange. since most shop here has this thing where you can buy whatever you want and you have to make sure it's compatible with your system. there is no exchange for the buyers remorse.

so it's like go buy x2 gtx titan then later found out your board is a socket for athlon x64 and you don't have enouch space. go return and shop decline return since it's not their mistake you buy crap you can't fit.

Live your life like a dream.

there are no real computer stores here in germany, so no, i dont do that. But i do it here on the forums and for friends :)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I have made best buy loose some much money. whenever people go to look at the 80"+ TV's i tell them that they will get a better picture due to smaller tv's having a higher pixel density and always talk them into getting 40" tv's and the such. I also tell people to not get the rocketfish cables and things like that. 

Rocketfish cables themselves are actually pretty good. I got one 2 years ago from FutureShop http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/rocketfish-rocketfish-3-7m-12-ft-hdmi-cable-rf-g1169-rf-g1169/10170584.aspx?path=809fa1c70cf94a80a0496e2445825350en02 and I use it to this day when I need to hock up my laptop to my TV.

The cable itself is great as I said, but the price is of course bullshit. Same goes with pretty any sort of cable you buy from any sort of retailer. Now up there it's listed for $60; it was $75 back then, but a friend of mine works there and got me the cable for $15 because employees over there got the products at a price near it's actual value... 15 goddamn dollars

Now that's a testament to how much retailers rip people off on the sort of things. Later on I found out about http://www.monoprice.com/ and that's where I get my cables nowadays, but the RocketFish cable is still working great.

I saw a boy with an adult buying a 3570K and a Z87 board, good thing the salesman knows his stuff before I could jump in and stop a disaster.

You have to understand that a lot of people actually want a larger TV for legitimate reasons. Old people and people with large living rooms.

Nothing wrong with rocketfish products either, yeah they are overpriced but it's on par with what you pay for at any other big box store.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I got banned from Future Shop for doing that.  I just got unbanned and can go back into the store but can't speak to any customers including people I am with.  No joke.

You should go there over VPN ;) or with big blue shield that carry words Hotspot just to mock them.

On topic, I buy almost every single PC component over internet just because it is a lot more expensive in stores. Also my city is really small and got only 4 PC stores and 2 of them are like empty cave with stuff from midle ages.

I used to work at a computer store, and i gotta say most people.. id say 80% would take my advice/recommendations.. another 10% would be knowledgeable and know exactly what they want... the other 10% were just full retard.

theese days i gotta say im pretty tempted to butt in and try and help people who are unsure, or are being persuaded by a dumb sales person, but i tend to keep to myself, because most of the time they are going to listen to the person who actually works at the store...

PC: Corsair 900D | Corsair AX860 | Maxmius VI Hero | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 | Sapphire Radeon 7950 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Win7 X64

HTPC: Silverstone GD05 Black | Corsair VS350W | AMD A6 5400K | AsRock FM2A75-PRO4-M | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600 | Samsung 840 128GB | WD Black 4TBx2 | Leadtek Winfast DTV2000DS | LiteOn BD\DVD-RW Combo | WIN7 x64/XBMC

I've given my opinion twice to people. Once concerning headsets (the guy was looking at a cheaper one, then I recommended the SteelSeries Siberia V2 due to my experience with it over the last 2 years), and the other time was concerning a CPU heatsink.

Other than that though I keep to myself. The local store is pretty knowledgeable and I try to buy from them (Memory Express here in Canada) - prices are good (and there's discounts to be had!), or I go online to NCIX.

Usually when I'm in a computer store I'm helping a buddy anyways, so I guess that counts too!

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!