Do you try to help people in computer stores?

-ism

You have to understand that a lot of people actually want a larger TV for legitimate reasons. Old people and people with large living rooms.

Nothing wrong with rocketfish products either, yeah they are overpriced but it's on par with what you pay for at any other big box store.

If they want a large tv thats fine, i dont force them or pressure them, I just tell them hey higher pixel density is better and if they ask questions ill answer and if they dont i leave them alone. and rocket fish is fine but there pricing isnt, when you can get a HDMI cable that will be fine for $15~ there's no real point in paying $60

Rocketfish cables themselves are actually pretty good. I got one 2 years ago from FutureShop http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/rocketfish-rocketfish-3-7m-12-ft-hdmi-cable-rf-g1169-rf-g1169/10170584.aspx?path=809fa1c70cf94a80a0496e2445825350en02 and I use it to this day when I need to hock up my laptop to my TV.

The cable itself is great as I said, but the price is of course bullshit. Same goes with pretty any sort of cable you buy from any sort of retailer. Now up there it's listed for $60; it was $75 back then, but a friend of mine works there and got me the cable for $15 because employees over there got the products at a price near it's actual value... 15 goddamn dollars

Now that's a testament to how much retailers rip people off on the sort of things. Later on I found out about http://www.monoprice.com/ and that's where I get my cables nowadays, but the RocketFish cable is still working great.

Ya there cables are fine, its just the pricing like you said. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Yes; I get paid to. 

Yes; I get paid to. 

Not gonna lie, getting curious as to what you actually do...

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

No. People are inherently stupid. In my current job I find it extremely difficult to explain the simplest of things to the average user. Theres also not really any computer stores in New Zealand.

I am not the kind of person to do so. I find it hard enough to talk to my friends about PCs, as they just stare at me with an empty look...

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

well just that I can't leave those people alone when you know yourself they are getting ripped off by the sellers. but the laugh you get when they don't listen to you is GOLD.

like yesterday a dude just bought a i5 4670k and a asrock z67 extreme 4 gen 3 he seemed so happy. as he was going out to the store. as I saw him carrying it on a clear plastic bag lol. I asked the seller why he sold those and the seller said that he wanted a good cheap mother board for his new i5 ivy (I'm sure the 4670k is haswell lol).

stores here in my country almost 90% of the time those guys selling doesn't know much (except their tech guy and the owner). pretty much those guys at the counter just spout nonsense here and there.

so yeah most likely by today or tomorrow or something the guy would come back to that store.

Live your life like a dream.

Not gonna lie, getting curious as to what you actually do...

Sales exec @ Scorptech. I quit the world of live audio

Interesting.

It's not my right to interfere or educate someone with their business in buying computers. If I feel I can help, I will ask them, but if they don't want it, even if they are going to buy something unnecessary, I am not going to force my knowledge on them, nor am I going to take it personally. People are so self absorbed thinking that everyone needs their advice, even if it is good, they don't necessarily want it.

Also what the hell is with people thinking that everyone needs a DIY computer? Not everybody needs or wants this and it's bad advice to attempt to force this on others, regardless of price.

I have seen know it all "techies" that work at computer stores give really terrible advice, or not know anything about what they are asking and instead of just saying they don't know, they make stuff up.

I have also seen "techie" customers try and "offer" other customers (purchasers) advice that is terrible. I, as an another customer have been asked by the purchaser, and have told them the advice is bad. The techie, let's say did not take it well.

i dont like talking to "people" their strange things.....

this

and the fact that i don't work there doesnt give me any reason to, unless people are asking directly to me(wich is rare) but im also don't have enough "knowledge" since im barely 18 and follow a totally diffrent study, atleast that is what they said at the job interview. Some people should know =)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I stopped going to computer stores, people are usually rude, say that you don't need things that you know you need, and say you need things that you don't need, like optical drives. I just cut them out and suck it up by buying online to cut-out those human interactions.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Computer shops are completely overpriced, with staff that have no idea about anything.

£30 for a DVI-HDMI cable O.o

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

I hate going to computer stores because they never know what they are talking about and are extremely rude.

Microcenter is an exception, the people there either are knowledgable or understand some people are smarter than them and just tell people where stuff is. One time I heard an employee recommend Noctua fans to this guy and I almost started clapping.

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

I went to microcenter and some guy wanted to buy this ocz ssd. He wanted to buy a used ocz vertex 2 sata 2 120gb for $90 and I tried to stop him but all he said was get out of here kid you don't know crap. Then I tried to recommend him a used 120gb ssd sata 2 used for $140 saying it had better stability and software and he went ahead and bought it. All I said when he was leaving the store was dumbass

i almost rage when this happens 

sales mr guy: did you know more vram is better 

buyer: then i will have the r7 240 with 4gb 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

i don't try and help them, if they are in pc world or currys, they are past the point of help :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

This may be a little off-topic.

But recently I contacted Verizon, just to see if FIOS was available in my area yet. At first the lady said yes it is, then I told her ok I want it. She put me on hold for about 10mins, then said "Sorry sir, FIOS is not in your area yet".  Then she said, "But we have very fast internet besides FIOS, that is in your area". I told her that I have Comcast Cable internet, so you don't have anything faster besides FIOS, so I will wait. She said "Yes we do, we have 7 Mbit high speed internet packages" .

I told her but that is 7 MegaBit, and 7 Megabits is around 0.8 Megabytes, that is way to slow for me. Right now I have 3 Megabyte per second download speed with comcast. She said "But the package we offer is faster, its 7 Megabits per second", I said "No, that is Megabits, not megabytes". She said they are the same thing. lmao

I said, so you mean to tell me that Cable Internet is Slower then DSL Internet? I said, "Megabits are not Megabytes". She tried to argue with me some more, saying that the 7Megabit package she is offering is faster then the 3megabyte package I already have from comcast.  So I said "I  give up", and I hung up on her.

I don't understand it, they are working for an internet company and they know nothing about what they are selling. If I was someone else, someone that didnt know anything, that person would of downgraded their internet just because the person that sold them the internet didnt know anything about internet speeds. That should be illegal, because they are basically lieing to their customers about internet speeds. 

Ultimate 900D Build - Build Log (In Progress) - TheTechGenius MODs

i try to help in fact last time i went to best buy there was a older man looking for a router and the employee walked him over to power supplies and tried to sell him a 800w psu saying its a router i kindly told the man that it wasn't a router and walked him over to where they were and recommended him a router that would fit his needs and wouldn't give him any issues. he actually gave my $5 for helping out instead of the dumb lazy best buy employee that was playing games on his phone the whole time.

My build: Cpu: (AMD Ryzen 7 1700) Heatsink: (Deepcool Captain 240 rgb) GPU: (Zotac AMP! GTX 1060 6gb) Ram: (Corsair LPX 8Gb DDR4 2400) Mobo: ( Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K&) Case: (NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal) PSU: (Lepa B550 550w) OS:  (Windows 10

You should go there over VPN ;) or with big blue shield that carry words Hotspot just to mock them.

On topic, I buy almost every single PC component over internet just because it is a lot more expensive in stores. Also my city is really small and got only 4 PC stores and 2 of them are like empty cave with stuff from midle ages.

Frys price matches Amazon, Newegg, NCIX and a few others so I go there when I am too lazy to wait 2 days for shipping.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

There's times when am in PC World and hear a staff member trying to convince someone to pay a computer that's not going to be able to do what the customer need it to do I have stopped them from buying it but normally don't bother, after all if people don't do the research before buying any tech its their problem and its not my job to help them out.

Cry Havoc!

I never did it but once a costumer walks by me and asks me: "Do you work here?", to wich I replied: "Hummm... No.". I have no idea where that came from, I am 13 and I am not extremely tall (160cm or 5' 2"), maybe it's because I was talking to the cashier (I go there so many times that she knows me) and he thought I was staff. I've never helped anyone but sometimes I am tempted, not because they are being screwed over but because they are afraid of it and just choose whatever and many times it's wrong. I don't help people at shops but my family and friends I do.

i'm a potato

Yeah I have a couple times. One time I was in staples and I was just wearing a normal red T-shirt and some nice pants and some people thought I worked there. Anyways they asked me about some laptops and tablets (thats where I was and looking at). So I helped them and then I told them I didn't actually work there. The face of confusion was so amazing :D

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

Nope, because people usually know everything and don't need any help at all. :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I don't know the law over at your location.

In Germany you can send, whatever you just bought withing two weeks, back to the store. You order smth, unpack it, test it, repack it, send it back with no questions asked, they give your money back (shipping excluded). They have to accept it! Unless the product got demaged. That does not apply to stores though, but they offer the same thing cause otherwise it would be much much safer to buy smth online.

So basically the guy could just walk back to the store and give it back and they do ask: "Why?" You cn just say nothing, give actually a feedback or just end the conversation with: "Because I can!" But as I said, they don't have to when you bought the product in the store. It has to be online. So what I do is I grab my phone and search for the product on their website. I click the buy button and select "Pick up at the shop" for shipping... And here we go! I just bought the product online and I have my rights to return it within 14 days :)

You miss EU Distance Selling Regulations when you're not there anymore.

No questions asked returns on anything you buy for 2 weeks even if you've used them solidly for 13 days!