Do you try to help people in computer stores?

-ism

Nah it's better to just let people be themselves. If they look like they are really struggling and I could give some insight I might. I don't mind helping, but typically people don't want a stranger coming up telling them what to do.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

i always do help other people by taking my time at the door, to give them time to rethink this shop. worst shop in the world :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Seeing as how I work at a computer store, I do find myself helping people from time to time, although my coworkers affectionately refer to me as the break room supervisor. Honestly, it drives me nuts when other customers butt in during my sales pitch. If they're not being helped, I couldn't care less, but interrupting me like many know-it-alls do just pisses me off.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

At the local Canada Computers i'm buddies with all the people that work there, so whenever i'm in there and they don't know something they know they can ask me, and they do.

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

My face looks like a kid, they won't bother my words, nobody will know I was working at a store making people an "all-in-one" pc while it's just me picking the parts. 

Today my friend CJ and I went to Frys to buy a USB3 cable for an external hard drive, and well, there was this couple building a PC. They were being rather dumb, like buying a fan for EVERY slot in their case. Anyways, I asked the man if he was building a PC and he said yeah, but with a rude tone and essentially gave me the cold shoulder. This may be due to the fact that I am only 17, but who knows. 

Anyways, do you guys ever go out of your way to help the people making silly purchasing decisions at electronics stores? I feel so bad everytime I see some poor sap wasting their money...

I haven't needed to yet but even if I did they probably wouldn't listen to me.

If I so happened to have eavesdropped on the sales pitch, I usually wait till the sales person walks away to "check on availability of the product" to sneak in some advice if they are much older than I am. If I see they are about the same age as I am, then it's not my problem.

But usually I keep to myself. I'm terrified of approaching people, but there are some old people who gives off the grandfatherly/grandmotherly feel.

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 MoBo: ASUS Sabertooth X58  Cooler: Scythe Ninja 3 + Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RAM: 3 x 2 GB Corsair Value Ram, 3 x 4 GB Corsair Value Ram GPU: MSI GTX 780 Lightning; SSD: Corsair Force 3 128GB Storage: 1 x 1 TB HDD (Samsung + 2 WD + Seagate) Case: CM 690 II Advanced Mouse: Steelseries Ikari + Steelseries Qck Mini Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 Controller: Microsoft XBox 360 Wireless Controller Instrument (Rocksmith 2014): Yamaha BB414

Meh, not really, when I see someone making a stupid decision or doing stupid shit, ill facepalm, I dont try because whos going to believe a 14yr old kid. 

I help the employes at walmart and target. I help people at Best Buy and Staples. :D The employes at walmart and target don't like how much I know... :(

My PC Spec:

CPU: Intel i7-8700k @ 3.7GHz, Motherboard: , Memory: 16gb , Storage: , Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB, Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM, Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC(x2), Case: Corsair C70 Green, Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G GOLD, Operating System: Windows 8.1, CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100, Optical Drive: LG Internal Super Multi Drive

i just walk by and causaly say. thats a horrible cpu gpu case mobo depending on whatever they have. and if the stop me im like. GET AWAY FROM ME RAPE RAPE RAAAAAAAPE! and i usualy end up with free misc gear :)

Nope because I rarely go to computer stores but I sometimes help my friends correct their build before they go buy it to get the most performance for their money. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

i know that you guys are not liking what the sales people do, but think of it this way these people are making commission on the purchases. Now if a non sales person helps a customer the money that people could have made. it might not seem like a lot but it adds up. however i don't approve of them suggesting things so they can make more money  for example suggesting a 780 ti for an internet browsing. so yea

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

i know that you guys are not liking what the sales people do, but think of it this way these people are making commission on the purchases. Now if a non sales person helps a customer the money that people could have made. it might not seem like a lot but it adds up. however i don't approve of them suggesting things so they can make more money  for example suggesting a 780 ti for an internet browsing. so yea

Many retailers have stopped doing to commission now, or in the case of my work the amount of commission you get is a laughable smack in the face, like literally a few pennies for every 100$. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

I purposely sometimes walk into Best Buy and Office Max to tell people that they can get a better custom PC then a preconstructed PC.

Employees look at me like I have a dick on my forehead. But then just ignore them.

As a person who has worked in retail for a tech store. No, I don't, because it's not my problem. Profits margins need to be met for the economy to stay level. Influencing people's choice when buying products will give them more for less, sure, but when looking at the big picture it's everyone else who gets less for more. Unless it has a direct consequence on me (i.e gaming; with these corperate big heads forcing policies on us and thinking we will just bend over?) I will not interfere.

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

I don't like people. If I'm not payed to help someone I don't know do their shopping then I won't 

If they don't seem like asshats, and I'm in the mood, AND I have time, then yes.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

i tried and still sometimes do i used to be a salesman myself and know when people are about to get suckered into something stupid especially with pcs. but most of the  people that i try to help saw me at my job at the tire shop and ignore everything i say but i have helped a few people or atleast i would like to think

its GE (pause) TechNicks

my rig plus everything i have bought for it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/30sNV

The majority of the people I've attempted to help have been asshats, so it pleasures me to let them go and make their silly purchases.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

No unless they want help, I tried once and the guy just got annoyed and to be honest I would, I mean how would you feel if some stranger walked up to you and started talking about what they personally should buy, its at best obnxous, However if a person is interested in discussing it then yeah sure but dont just walk up to people to help them, that whats the salesmen are for.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

I sometimes intervein if I see someone being obviously trolled [like the poor 80+ man who was being talked into buying a WD Green 2TB for 300$] other than that I rarely do.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I use to work as a salesman so I know how to talk to people about products and getting them the best deal possible. So yeah I do try to give advice. The best approach I find is when you you start off talking like your a friend, "hey man you'd get more bang outta your buck if you got this instead". 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^