Scientists use AI to discover new antibiotic

Shreyas1

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51586010

Scientists have used an artificial intelligence to help discover a brand new antibiotic, and a pretty powerful one too

A powerful algorithm was used to analyse more than one hundred million chemical compounds in a matter of days. 

The newly discovered compound was able to kill 35 types of potentially deadly bacteria, said researchers.

n terms of antibiotic discovery, this is absolutely a first," said Regina Barzilay, a senior researcher on the project at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

The discovery was made using an algorithm inspired by the architecture of the human brain. 

Scientists trained it to analyse the structure of 2,500 drugs and other compounds to find those with the most anti-bacterial qualities that could kill E. coli. 

They then selected around 100 candidates for physical testing before discovering halicin. 

"I think this is one of the more powerful antibiotics that has been discovered to date," said James Collins, a bioengineer on the team at MIT. 

"We wanted to develop a platform that would allow us to harness the power of artificial intelligence to usher in a new age of antibiotic drug discovery."

Dr Peter Bannister, chairman of the Institution of Engineering and Technology healthcare panel, said the method used was already "well established" within medical research

Seeing the high costs of medicine these days, hopefully this will bring costs down for many as developing these drugs will hopefully  now be far cheaper and easier. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Eh, this doesn't seem either that impressive or the likely to lead anywhere. They smacked basically the entire known chemical database set against their Algo and they didn't come up with much. Now they might be able to make a derivative compound that could eventually make it through human trials, which is probably where AI approaches will yield more utility. 

Specifically to antibiotics, you're talking clinical testing costs well into the greater than 1 billion USD range, and then you won't be able to sell it. It's not that there isn't other, potent antibiotics available. It's that they're not used generally to avoid resistance. That's why the government medical agencies end up restricting them.

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Eh, this doesn't seem either that impressive or the likely to lead anywhere. They smacked basically the entire known chemical database set against their Algo and they didn't come up with much. Now they might be able to make a derivative compound that could eventually make it through human trials, which is probably where AI approaches will yield more utility. 

Specifically to antibiotics, you're talking clinical testing costs well into the greater than 1 billion USD range, and then you won't be able to sell it. It's not that there isn't other, potent antibiotics available. It's that they're not used generally to avoid resistance. That's why the government medical agencies end up restricting them.

It's a start, they will eventually parse down the code

3 minutes ago, RichPiano said:

eventually

Eventually everything will be 1000 times better then it is now, advent of leeps and bounds in technology jumps.

2 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Seeing the high costs of medicine these days, hopefully this will bring costs down for many as developing these drugs will hopefully  now be far cheaper and easier. 

... ... ...

download.gif.f140b15ec5c7c13bf93e97f2b631488d.gif

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

A powerful algorithm was used to analyse more than one hundred million chemical compounds in a matter of days. 

So, an algorithm, not an Ai. Every algorithm doesn't make it an Ai. Every Ai is made up of algorithms. Most of stuff everyone is raving about as being "Ai" are just algorithms that basically brute force their way through samples.

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

> MOST POWERFUL ANTIBIOTIC DEVELOPED

> butthat people who abuse antibiotic dosages cause onset of superbacteria resistant to almost everything

yaaaaay

scary shit isnt it?

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

> MOST POWERFUL ANTIBIOTIC DEVELOPED

> butthat people who abuse antibiotic dosages cause onset of superbacteria resistant to almost everything

yaaaaay

Abuse? You mean, don't use. Most problematic with antibiotics is that people start feeling better and stop taking them. Where you always have to take all of the prescribed antibiotics to the very last pill.

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

oh oof ,_, i was thinking of those who keep asking for antibiotics at end of the consultation counter when the doctors didn't specifically prescribe them. consider me schooled then

you are right

super bacteria is more dangerous

So far neat though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

27 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

oh oof ,_, i was thinking of those who keep asking for more antibiotics at end of the consultation counter when the doctors didn't specifically prescribe them. consider me schooled then

It's mostly people who don't finish prescribed antibiotics and people who take them when unnecessary. For example, there is no point in taking antibiotics for viral infections (like flu) because they won't do a thing. Antibiotics only work for bacterial infections (like infected wound).

Let's hope it works in humans

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

13 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Big pharma says otherwise.

Was about to say. Not really that medicine is extremely expensive, just that (in the US) they can get away with charging out the wazoo for things like Insulin (which, per vial, is something stupid like $5 to make but will be sold for hundreds).

It kind of hurts to read that article, it's painfully obvious the writer has no idea what they're talking about.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

So, an algorithm, not an Ai.

I thought that as well but then they mentioned "training", which might indicate machine learning was used - the writer probably doesn't know what distinguishes "AI" from a "regular" algorithm so they probably used them interchangeably.

6 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

I think the article's referring to over prescription of antibiotics, not overuse by the patients.

13 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Big pharma says otherwise.

*ahem*

Spoiler

ABOLISH PHARMACEUTICAL PATENTS

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I smell the standard science telephone game problem.  science writer writing from abstract writes article which another science writer uses rather than original information which is picked up by another writer who writes  something etc...  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Can it be used to treat the coronavirus?

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

6 minutes ago, Thomas001 said:

Can it be used to treat the coronavirus?

Virus != bacteria.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 2/25/2020 at 7:26 AM, Shreyas1 said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51586010

Scientists have used an artificial intelligence to help discover a brand new antibiotic, and a pretty powerful one too

Ive heard this one. They have engineered AI to develop antibiotics, and possibly this will possibly change the way we view artificial intelligence's role in modern immunology. I just hope they find a way to combat covid-19 through AI also.

~Engineer.AI

Engineer.AI

On 2/25/2020 at 8:00 AM, Sauron said:

It kind of hurts to read that article, it's painfully obvious the writer has no idea what they're talking about.

I thought that as well but then they mentioned "training", which might indicate machine learning was used - the writer probably doesn't know what distinguishes "AI" from a "regular" algorithm so they probably used them interchangeably.

I think the article's referring to over prescription of antibiotics, not overuse by the patients.

*ahem*

Hide contents

ABOLISH PHARMACEUTICAL PATENTS

They also said something about the algorithm being similar to the human brain, so I was assuming something to do with neural networks?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

12 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

They also said something about the algorithm being similar to the human brain, so I was assuming something to do with neural networks?

Yeah, but "similar to the human brain" isn't the term anyone who knows what they're talking about would use. If it's a convolutional neural network then it has pretty much nothing to do with your brain.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

While it might not seem like a big deal now, the fact that they were able to engineer AI to be able to develop an antibiotic (an extremely potent one at that), within a fraction of a time that a team of well trained humans would've, makes this a really huge landmark. 

Now all we have to do, is use this AI to create a cure for the coronavirus.

~Engineer.AI

Engineer.AI