$600 Hi-Fi-grade network switch, anyone?

mooseblaster

Once again, we turn to the audiophiles to come up with computing snake-oil, in the form of an 8-port network switch that can improve the sound of streaming audio and costs over $600:

English Electric announced the device at the Bristol Hi-Fi Show with claims that the English Electric 8switch can act as a filter for streamed audio to remove unwanted noise which regular computer industry-made switches and routers never consider. 

As the name suggests, the switch is an 8-port gigabit device which will likely retail for between £400-500 when it arrives later this year. The Chord Company MD, Alan Gibb said:

"Most streaming equipment comes from the computing industry without the same care and attention as hi-fi kit. In computing, it's all about getting your packets across from one place to another and if you can get  your email or word file, then you're fine."

https://www.whathifi.com/news/chord-company-revives-english-electric-debuts-network-switch

In addition, The Chord Company has also announced a special 'ChordOhmic fluid' that you can put on your interconnects to 'create a greater contact area that lowers that contact’s resistance and thus allows more current (the signal) to flow.' Yours for only £200 for 10ml!

image.png.3dea1941ba2ff0aee8f802350f5a4148.png

They're releasing a ton of memes this week lol.

I wear my Hi-Fi socks so I can be properly grounded to listen to clearer music.

25 minutes ago, mooseblaster said:

Once again, we turn to the audiophiles to come up with computing snake-oil, in the form of an 8-port network switch that can improve the sound of streaming audio and costs over $600:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/chord-company-revives-english-electric-debuts-network-switch

In addition, The Chord Company has also announced a special 'ChordOhmic fluid' that you can put on your interconnects to 'create a greater contact area that lowers that contact’s resistance and thus allows more current (the signal) to flow.' Yours for only £200 for 10ml!

Welcome to the world of old men with too much retirement money. We have other memes for you to browse aswell.

image.png.d2a90e93de80137f1a13fb719e2106a3.png

image.png.dc0bc9b8846bf5306a7fa1e41f48f0b2.png

image.png.049464dd9391b2d722302755a1ce3de0.png

image.png.0143795ca0eeb2178da7bbe3bd895b8d.png

image.png.e4e24d61de8495bea999aad57629affa.png

image.png.418b9b3e0da1c9a8bd37b14e6d697a0f.png

I've bought my fair share of stupid expensive audio gear, but I've only got expensive cables for aesthetics. Chord Company RCA's sound no different to 15 dollar KabelDirekt RCA cables off of amazon.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

34 minutes ago, mooseblaster said:

But those packets will be so much cleaner if you use audio-grade capacitors and oxygen free copper.

34 minutes ago, mooseblaster said:

Ok, does liquid metal react with gold? Would likely work out much cheaper, and have more of an effect.

Having said the above, I did have a US$100 subwoofer cable. It must be really good, as it came "free" with the sub I bought. Best/worst value questionable product I actually bought was a ~US$25 bottle of aquarium glass cleaner. It does work well, I also use it on monitor screens equally. (no, I didn't benchmark it against lower cost glass cleaners)

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

As someone who does live sound as a side thing, quality of things does matter. Which usually means you're paying a hefty premium for the stuff that will take a beating and deliver top notch performance at the same literal time. I do see value in the switch - assuming it uses audio grade hardware like capacitors and that. It could easily be used to route signaling on your Dante network, connect AVIOM's, etc. But, like everything, you can go too far.

This?

1 hour ago, mooseblaster said:

Chord Company has also announced a special 'ChordOhmic fluid'

Not far enough ?/s

32 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

As someone who does live sound as a side thing, quality of things does matter. Which usually means you're paying a hefty premium for the stuff that will take a beating and deliver top notch performance at the same literal time. I do see value in the switch - assuming it uses audio grade hardware like capacitors and that. It could easily be used to route signaling on your Dante network, connect AVIOM's, etc. But, like everything, you can go too far.

Ethernet is digital and checksummed, there is no affect by noise unless you mean packet loss, which shouldn't happen with any quality switch of sufficient spec. The only place noise matters is when the digital signal gets turned to analog.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 hour ago, porina said:

But those packets will be so much cleaner if you use audio-grade capacitors and oxygen free copper.

Ok, does liquid metal react with gold? Would likely work out much cheaper, and have more of an effect.

Having said the above, I did have a US$100 subwoofer cable. It must be really good, as it came "free" with the sub I bought. Best/worst value questionable product I actually bought was a ~US$25 bottle of aquarium glass cleaner. It does work well, I also use it on monitor screens equally. (no, I didn't benchmark it against lower cost glass cleaners)

This is gold your talking about, its one of the least reactive metals.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'm both an audio nerd by nature, and a Network Architect by profession.  That entire article in the OP just made me laugh.

A lot.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Image result for tf2 heavy laughing gif

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

And then you realize the market is full of toslink cables with gold connectors

Whats up with that?

People being ignorant of what toslink actually is (got one of those cables for my grandmother's soundbar - all plastic connectors).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I guess you can also use it as a lube. Because at the price they are selling it to you, you'll need it.

I dunno what’s worst: the chord company selling this junk or the specialized press and “knowledgeable audio review channels” hyping it. 

15 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

This?

Not far enough ?/s

You're right in that sometimes quality does matter.

But not here.

This is a literal scam.

As mentioned above, anything you're streaming is already using established network protocols, and being transmitted as digital packets.

If you were overly concerned about quality and longevity of the switch itself, you'd be much better off spending half the price and getting a small enterprise grade Cisco switch (or similar like HP Aruba). It would be more reliable, and it would work literally just as well for streaming.

The only way a network switch can interfere with your streaming, is if there are network issues happening, and you're getting data loss. It sure as fuck won't make your stream any clearer or sound better.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Literally the ONLY way I could see this being of any value is if it was shielded and didn't output any RF noise while sitting next to audio equipment. That is the ONLY way this could be of benefit to audio quality going through it.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

5 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

Literally the ONLY way I could see this being of any value is if it was shielded and didn't output any RF noise while sitting next to audio equipment. That is the ONLY way this could be of benefit to audio quality going through it.

If someone has enough money to dump onto this, the other gear they own would have sufficient RF shielding. Some new gear uses the enclosure as a faraday cage to shield internal components, My McIntosh C53 Pre-Amp does something similar, the chassis is grounded internally, so it kind of acts as a faraday cage.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

1 minute ago, Derkoli said:

If someone has enough money to dump onto this, the other gear they own would have sufficient RF shielding. Some new gear uses the enclosure as a faraday cage to shield internal components, My McIntosh C53 Pre-Amp does something similar, the chassis is grounded internally, so it kind of acts as a faraday cage.

Shielding isn't difficult.

What this thing claims to do, though, is complete horsepucky. 

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Just now, GilmourD said:

Shielding isn't difficult.

What this thing claims to do, though, is complete horsepucky. 

Yeah it 100% is lol.

I own Chord Company interconnects/cables, and while they are extremely well made, they don't sound any different at all to 15 dollar KabelDirekt RCA cables.

1 hour ago, Derkoli said:

Yeah it 100% is lol.

I own Chord Company interconnects/cables, and while they are extremely well made, they don't sound any different at all to 15 dollar KabelDirekt RCA cables.

It's Monster Cables times 1000. At least there's some dubious science behind Monster. This is just BS. LOL

21 hours ago, Derkoli said:

image.png.418b9b3e0da1c9a8bd37b14e6d697a0f.png

electrons move at 40 mph!!!!!! how the fuck does this help?!?!?!?

a fucking EMP field would work better!!!!!!

why can't i hear anything?

oh! my EMP field is on, it improves sound quality by removing interference from electronic equipment!

but that affects the equipment that you are using for audio production...

exactly!

i swear i get more headaches from this then from my stress of living my life.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

13 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

electrons move at 40 mph!!!!!! how the fuck does this help?!?!?!?

a fucking EMP field would work better!!!!!!

why can't i hear anything?

oh! my EMP field is on, it improves sound quality by removing interference from electronic equipment!

but that affects the equipment that you are using for audio production...

exactly!

i swear i get more headaches from this then from my stress of living my life.

It's funny, because Tachyon Fields are hyopthetical, So that product proves something were not sure is real, and these hypothetical fields also affect our audio gear!

To be fair those Siltech Triple Crown Speaker Cables to look, from an aesthetic point of view, pretty awesome. Not 55K of awesome, obviously.

On 2/22/2020 at 1:14 AM, mooseblaster said:

Once again, we turn to the audiophiles to come up with computing snake-oil, in the form of an 8-port network switch that can improve the sound of streaming audio and costs over $600

It never ceases to amaze (and seriously depress and disappoint) me how many people just have zero morals and are entirely willing to basically rob other people. I couldn't bring myself to even work for a company like this, let alone run one.

Sometimes I can't help but wonder if there's just something wrong with me, when I don't value money enough to pull off something like this, when everyone else seems entirely willing?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.