corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

King County health officials said the woman in her 90s died on Wednesday at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland, bringing the total number of deaths in the state to 11, with the twelfth in California.

The elderly woman had been a resident of the Life Care Center nursing home in Kirkland.

Nine of the dead were from the same nursing home, which is now under federal investigation to determine if it followed guidelines for preventing infections.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/05/us-coronavirus-death-toll-rises-to-12-amid-news-seattle-stadium-worker-tests-positive/

spacer.png

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

2 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

Georgia should have 3 not 2

Husband + Wife + Child infected.

Also read in that source a vendor was infected who worked at a stadium consisting of 22,000. So RIP there.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Wait.. right now only 70 labs across my entire country are capable of running the COVID-19 tests? ?‍♂️?‍♂️

At first I was worried about governments trying to hide the true figures.  But given the complete lack of intelligence we have seen and the extremely unnecessary problems it is causing with people panicking,  I no longer blame the government for doing it.  People are too stupid to be trusted with the truth in cases like this.   The economy is going to take an unnecessary hit, people are going to pay more for stuff they shouldn't have to (effecting the low SES the most) and the inconvenience is pissing me off.

7 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

home made hand sanitizer

Bigclive has a video on that too. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 3/6/2020 at 9:07 AM, PhantomJaguar77 said:

Wait.. right now only 70 labs across my entire country are capable of running the COVID-19 tests? ?‍♂️

You heard them in the video!  Europe (Qiagen) is gonna save you! ^o^

Ah! I found the video regarding the hospital's warehouse with 2 weeks worth of supply

On 3/6/2020 at 9:08 AM, mr moose said:

Bigclive has a video on that too. 

I watched it and he uses Vodka...

Vodka is no good... Not enough alcohol concentration, vodak is "only" 40%.

Hand sanitizer needs min. 60% to kill germs.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/05/us/titos-vodka-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

1 minute ago, Cora_Lie said:

I watched it and he uses Vodka...

Vodka is no good... Not enough alcohol concentration, vodak is "only" 40%.

Hand sanitizer needs 70% to kill germs.

He points all that out in the video, but he also shows how to make the Benzalkonium chloride stuff as well, which is very good to know because after hand sanitizer runs out the next thing will be rubbing alcohol and detol.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

He points all that out in the video, but he also shows how to make the Benzalkonium chloride stuff as well, which is very good to know because after hand sanitizer runs out the next thing will be rubbing alcohol and detol.

Uh... Ok... But I heard him say several times to use vodka or another alcohol, and the other option is kind of scary (BAC 50)... I wouldn't handle that at home.

29 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Uh... Ok... But I heard him say several times to use vodka or another alcohol, and the other option is kind of scary (BAC 50)... I wouldn't handle that at home.

He points out that you have to have the right PPE to dilute it and how far it has to be diluted (0.1% from memory).   He clearly says how dangerous it is if you don't take care with it.   I would if I had to, When I first started using strong chemicals (acids for cleaning and etching) I was a bit reluctant, but with care and diligence nothing goes wrong.

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

He points out that you have to have the right PPE to dilute it and how far it has to be diluted (0.1% from memory).   He clearly says how dangerous it is if you don't take care with it.   I would if I had to, When I first started using strong chemicals (acids for cleaning and etching) I was a bit reluctant, but with care and diligence nothing goes wrong.

Sure, I didn't say he didn't point that out ^o^

Just that I deem that too dangerous to have it in my home with my kid... Anyone does as they want ?

23 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Just that I deem that too dangerous to have it in my home with my kid... Anyone does as they want ?

Another way would be to make friends with some pharmacist or chemists. They should have everything you need to protect yourself and all the equipment to handle everything safely ;)

I have to admit that seeing how many politicians respond to the current crisis, I would love to just be able to buy some island to live on...just to be safe from any more politicians' blunders.

Also in Base of what the death ratio is calculated? It's just number of deaths/ certificated infected *100?

Georgia has 4 people with the Corona Virus.  One is being tested atm.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

Has anyone bought enough toilet paper enough for a year like what shown on TV? Enough to fill up an SUV.

Toilet paper ran out here.

1 hour ago, Deli said:

Has anyone buy enough toilet paper enough for a year like what shown on TV? Enough to fill up an EUV.

7 minutes ago, FakeCIA said:

Toilet paper ran out here.

I went to a local supermarket Wednesday. Everything is still well stocked, including toilet paper.

20200304_100825.jpg

1 hour ago, Deli said:

I went to a local supermarket Wednesday. Everything is still well stocked, including toilet paper.

Lucky. I have to fight with the Walmart Soccer Moms if I want the good TP.

The media frenzy around this is disgusting. Just watched a report on the BBC, using graphs scaled to make the senior death rate seem wildly different to that of middle aged people (realistically about 8 - 12%, graph made it seem like 95% of seniors would die). Misinformation about the use of face masks, the actual lethality of the virus.

As much as I didn't like her, the news around Caroline Flack here in the UK, and now the sensationalism of the virus are indicative of just how much spin the media put on EVERYTHING. I hope once this is all done and dusted things change for the better, at the very least people eyes are opened to the manipulation experienced.

Don't get me wrong, a new virus is serious, and absolutely wash your hands after being in public, and keep a bottle of sanitiser with you for those instances when you cant (before getting in the car etc), but don't panic buy, get only as much as you need for a week, maybe two, don't deny those around you the same protection. The best thing we can hope to see from all this is that seasonal flu will take a hit from the increased awareness of basic preventative measures!

My Folding Stats Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! 

Aviation Engineer by day,

Game Developer by Night,

IT Engineer for a Hobby,

Husband in between!

Proud creator of EvoCore! 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retrodex.evocore&hl=en

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/evocore/id1459714064

19 minutes ago, FakeCIA said:

Lucky. I have to fight with the Walmart Soccer Moms if I want the good TP.

Southern California checking in: Drove to 7 different stores to find a Target Supercenter that had "Limit 2 per customer per day" sign on it. With 4 bags left. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

34 minutes ago, Retrodex Gaming said:

Don't get me wrong, a new virus is serious, and absolutely wash your hands after being in public, and keep a bottle of sanitiser with you for those instances when you cant (before getting in the car etc), but don't panic buy, get only as much as you need for a week, maybe two, don't deny those around you the same protection. The best thing we can hope to see from all this is that seasonal flu will take a hit from the increased awareness of basic preventative measures!

Panic buying is self-fulfilling prophecy.

Okay guys.

I am currently in a medical program for a degree in Respiratory Therapy. Being as this virus is mainly spread through either contact, which is later inhaled or breathed in or through the air. I will tell you this. 

Masks do not work! Unless you are walking around in a hazmat suit nothing will stop this. There are some preventative measures to take, which are common sense. Wash your hands everytime you go to the bathroom, wash hands before and after touching or eating food, wash hands before and after going out to public places, try and take a small bottle of hand sanitizer with you. Do not touch your face without washing your hands!

The most important thing to remember is DONT PANIC! Another thing to remember is that the North America and many EU countries sanitation and health care systems are very advanced and will be able to limit the spread of the virus. There is a reason undeveloped countries are hotspots for viruses, yes this includes China as well. Despite Chinas growth, many of its citizens still live in underwhelming conditions, combine that with a super high population and you have the spread of disease happening rapidly. 

My point is this virus will be nothing like the black plague. This is just another SARS, AIDS, Ebola that will come and go. 

24 minutes ago, PurplDrank said:

This is just another SARS, AIDS, Ebola that will come and go. 

I certainly hope this is the case. However I think it is too early to make that conclusion.