Windows 7 lossing support next week.. what should I do?

Windows95

So im on Windows 7 with a totally legit serial key and its expiring next week. Im also on an old ass q6600 with an hdd (I will update to a 3950x probably next month) what should I do?

Is Windows 10 free or I have to buy a license?

If I buy a license, isn't there a risk that a hacker can obtain your dox from the license data? (as compared to other methods to activate windows)

You could install Windows 10 and see if you can activate it using your Windows 7 key.

I activated Win10 with my Win8 Pro key last november when I bought my new PC, had never used that key to upgrade so it apparently still works?

But considering you mention that it's a "totally legit" key... Yeah no. Just buy Windows 10, it's literally less than 10$ on ebay.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I've used "totally legit Win8.1 key" for my main rig W10 key..

Its about 2 years old now... never an issue.

I've used MANY previously installed Win7 keys for Win10 upgrades,..

Simple as, install Windows 10, either use these keys at the start of installation or later when activating manually...

If all else fails, buy a cheap $10 key.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

46 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

So im on Windows 7 with a totally legit serial key and its expiring next week. Im also on an old ass q6600 with an hdd (I will update to a 3950x probably next month) what should I do?

If I buy a license, isn't there a risk that a hacker can obtain your dox from the license data? (as compared to other methods to activate windows)

Do NOT upgrade to windows 10 on such old hardware, its a waste of time.

When you upgrade systems install w10 then.

You don't have to do anything.

You simply won't be able to use Windows update anymore, that's all. 

Your antivirus will continue to be updated, unless the antivirus company are jerks. You may not get new video card drivers after some time but the ones you have will keep working.

Support for Windows is basically ...  get windows updates, you can't call or email Microsoft for help (did you ever do that or consider that?)

3 hours ago, TrigrH said:

Finally someone with some sense! 

Though the problem is of course the OP will be very concerned about hacking hackers and wild viruses running wild because "oh no, Microsoft has ended supporto for win 7™ what shall we do?"

I say upgrade to win 8. Seriously.  It can't be as bad as win 10, possibly?  >.<

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

20 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I've used "totally legit Win8.1 key" for my main rig W10 key..

Its about 2 years old now... never an issue.

I've used MANY previously installed Win7 keys for Win10 upgrades,..

Simple as, install Windows 10, either use these keys at the start of installation or later when activating manually...

If all else fails, buy a cheap $10 key.

I dont trust those "cheap keys".

20 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Free

window 10 is not bad as everyone says, Just go for it. 

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.1ba5acfe6a4a5c9e61551e471842cf1b.jpg

"free":

Download Windows 10 without activating it: Technically, you can download Windows 10 from Microsoft (not the app store version) and simply not activate it, which means you don’t actually pay for it. It turns out this is safer than it sounds because Microsoft is pretty lax about enforcing activation. Your copy of Windows shouldn’t be shut down, and you should still have access to your apps, etc. However, there are limitations. Microsoft will constantly bug you to activate Windows 10 every time you log in and show a big activation sign on your desktop. You won’t be able to do any personalization, color changes, or other types of modification to Windows until you activate, either. There’s also no chance of technical support. However, it’s a pretty great deal for getting a lot of Windows 10 functionality for free…although there’s no guarantee Microsoft won’t change this in the future.

And you cant turn off their spyware like cortana.

4 hours ago, Windows95 said:

I do, i have been using those cheap keys for my main PC. 

"free":

I was taking more about being able to activate windows 10 with window 7 key, free of change. 

-https://www.howtogeek.com/266072/you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free-with-a-windows-7-8-or-8.1-key/

"free":

And you cant turn off their spyware like cortana.

Go to GVGMALL  and buy a cheap win 10 is legit , then make a windows 10 with official compact build to create a light installation.

You can download the Win10 install media right from Microsoft and use your existing key.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

·Ï¢årµ§·

i7 4790k · 32GB Kingston HyperX · MSI Gaming 5 · ... · 30" HP ZR30W + 27" Samsung 275T · 2x240GB Intel 530 in Raid 0 + 2x1TB Crucial MX500 · Lain-Li X2000F · Antec Signature SG-850 · BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro · Logitech Z5500 · Win10pro 64bit

On 1/7/2020 at 9:08 PM, Windows95 said:

Grey area. Technically speaking you can download the installer directly from Microsoft and make installation media, then install and just say you dont have a key. Windows will work unactivated forever, BUT technically Microsoft would expect you to buy a license at some point. Also as others said, try the WIndows 7 key. There is a chance it might activate with that. 

On 1/7/2020 at 9:10 PM, nerdslayer1 said:

window 10 is not bad as everyone says,

Windows 10 fucked up on 3 seperate machines in 1 week in my home. So its just as bad as every one said. I have since moved to Linux on two of my machines with my moms machine being the only Windows device in the house.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Windows 10 fucked up on 3 seperate machines in 1 week in my home. So its just as bad as every one said

window 10 sucks due to anecdotes, lets all jump ship. 

I had windows on all my computers( family and friends too) after selling my mac, no issues so far. Don't do dumb shit like editing registries or disabling programs without knowing what they do. 

I have since moved to Linux on two of my machines

I used pop OS on my old X230, in 2 weeks it boot looped, so not the best first experience. I know it's not Linux fault, i was point out how dumb it is to describe a whole OS using someones person experience.  

So its just as bad as every one said.

Vocal minority will always scream the loudest FYI. 

On 1/10/2020 at 1:50 AM, nerdslayer1 said:

do dumb shit like editing registries or disabling programs without knowing what they do. 

I didnt. MICROSHAFT keeps forcing updates to the computer that should be QAed but AINT because they are cheap ~ and wont pay Devs to make sure their ~ aint broke. Ive been using Windows since 3.11, I know better than ~ with the registry. Not my fault they cant find the ~ bugs like they did with PREVOUS verisons of WIndows. Rarely did I ever have an update ~ ~ up on 98se, 2000pro, XP, XPx64, 7, or 8.1. It was only with 10 when all the issues started. Right after they decided to lay everyone off. Last I checked their market share, they aint doing good. I remember when they were 97% of the market, now they are in the 70% range. So obsouly its on them, becuase Apple was just as expensive back then as they are now and they have like a 16% market share now, there is a reason. 

Edited by LogicalDrm
"Language!" -Captain America, Avengers: Age of Ulton

I replayed more of as joke about how seriously people take this, its funny. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I remember when they were 97% of the market

Source? Best i can find is a shitty Fobes article that doesn't have any real sources. labeled as an opinion. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/12/13/microsofts-market-share-drops-from-97-to-20-in-just-over-a-decade/#4b90eb2851cf

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

now they are in the 70% range.

That's due to Android, Chromebooks and IOS mobile devices are more popular in developing countries like india and Africa. Markets have grown by a lot since the 2000, now almost everyone has something to to go the internet on. 

7 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

e Apple was just as expensive back then as they are now and they have like a 16% market share now, there is a reason

13% it seems, not bad but OSX have taken a massive dump, so many issues, current macs are not the best computers in the market. They have actual issues like keyboard failing, display peeling off, or crippling throttling lets not mention how they don't have touchscreens. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/218089/global-market-share-of-windows-7/

At the end of the day, its about what your happy using. Linux is not good as everyone and windows is not that bad. Keep in mind a lot more people use windows than linux. 

14 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

and wont pay Devs to make sure their shit aint broke.

I agree at the same time, Windows have grown into a very complex OS. Window 10 is a lot more complex than windows 7, its also an enterprise OS that supports backward comparability unlike OSX which doesn't even support all its old computers and no 32 bit support, which is a joke. 

On 1/8/2020 at 3:56 PM, TrigrH said:

Why is it a waste of time for a free upgrade?

Windows 10 runs just fine on Windows 7 compatible hardware. I've run it on C2D T6600, C2D E8500, C2Q Q6600 and I still have an old HTPC with a Phenom II X2 550BE that runs Windows 10 just great. 

On 1/8/2020 at 3:08 PM, Windows95 said:

Windows 10 is still a free upgrade for those with Windows 7. Just use their media creation tool, and then run it from within Windows 7 and choose Upgrade. 

It may not be available after January 14th though, unsure on that since it wasnt originally meant to stay available till now. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 1/10/2020 at 12:43 AM, Donut417 said:

Grey area. Technically speaking you can download the installer directly from Microsoft and make installation media, then install and just say you dont have a key. Windows will work unactivated forever, BUT technically Microsoft would expect you to buy a license at some point. Also as others said, try the WIndows 7 key. There is a chance it might activate with that. 

Windows 10 fucked up on 3 seperate machines in 1 week in my home. So its just as bad as every one said. I have since moved to Linux on two of my machines with my moms machine being the only Windows device in the house.

Microsoft is NSAware crap, but Linux is useless for games and media, so both have its uses.

Can you at least make windows 10 look like windows 98? I miss the old look. I've heard they broke even themes too, so its not easy to do anymore. geez.

2 hours ago, Windows95 said:

but Linux is useless for games and media

Not sure you where you got that from. I have games installed from my steam list. I just discovered proton. I havent really had a chance to play it yet, but I did jump in to No Mans Sky and it ran pretty OK. Media wise I have no issues, VLC plays most of that and I have a Plex server setup so I can stream to literally anything. 

2 hours ago, Windows95 said:

10 look like windows 98? I

I have no clue. The only computer that has Windows in my house belongs to my mom and I dont use it very often. All I can tell you is every time a creators update comes out,  id take it to a priest and have them bless it 9 ways from sunday and MABYE the update will go off good without issue. I got tired of praying to the old and new gods to hopefully have a working system after a creators update. 

On 1/8/2020 at 1:51 AM, Mark Kaine said:

Finally someone with some sense! 

Though the problem is of course the OP will be very concerned about hacking hackers and wild viruses running wild because "oh no, Microsoft has ended supporto for win 7™ what shall we do?"

I say upgrade to win 8. Seriously.  It can't be as bad as win 10, possibly?  >.<

Win 8 is worse same with 8.1 I've used all three windows 10 is the best of the three

On 1/8/2020 at 2:56 AM, TrigrH said:

Care to elaborate?

1 hour ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Care to elaborate?

Windows 10 and old hardware some times don’t mix. Due to shit drivers and non existent drivers. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Windows 10 and old hardware some times don’t mix. Due to shit drivers and non existent drivers. 

So in that case the advice should be "run the upgrade advisor and make sure there's no driver issues", rather than just saying it's a waste of time.

I've got a few older machines running Windows 10, 3 of them have Vista COA's on ;)

3 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Care to elaborate?

(I will update to a 3950x probably next month)

Its a bigger risk to compatibility issues than it is to security when the platform is getting changed in a month. Better to clean install at the time of upgrade so you can have a full UEFI enabled system and not be using a legacy boot installation.

1 hour ago, Curious Pineapple said:

"run the upgrade advisor and make sure there's no driver issues

My old gaming rig orginally worked with 10. However 1904 caused the intergrated NIC to not work. So........ The upgrade Advisor is not really going to help, as Microsoft drops the ball on older device support over time. Just because it works with one version of 10 doesnt mean the hardware will work with the next version. Lucky for me Linux has been a champ on that hardware. Well acutally Linux has been a champ on all my machines becuase I use Ubuntu on both my Plex server (old gaming rig) and my current daily driver. 

I was planning on installing win 10 with an SSD on my old computer just to test it out.

This is it:

MOBO: GA X38-DQ6

CPU: Q6660 G0

GPU: MSI 7850 twin frozr

RAM: 7gb ddr2

Will I have problems? will drivers be non existant and dont boot or something?