Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
James

THIS Replaced Every PC in my House!

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

30 minute video, clickbait title, clickbait thumbnail, no thanks.

It isn't clickbait at all for me I know it is going to be some crazy server computer running a hypervisor. Similar to 7 gamer 1 CPU. Sounds cool to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy crap that intro was bad.

Like, it's a sponsored video, I get that but holy crap even Linus sounded like he was annoyed by it.

 

This video could be an absolute hit but holy crap that intro instantly killed all the hype...


If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

It isn't clickbait at all for me I know it is going to be some crazy server computer running a hypervisor. Similar to 7 gamer 1 CPU. Sounds cool to me.

It is clickbait when there are absolutely no info on the topic neither in the title nor in description nor in thumbnail, just shocked-ass Linus (as always) begging to click on it.


Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Gigabyte sells dual EPYC servers too, Level 1 Techs recently did a video on them. I believe it's 128c/256t? Dual 64c/128t EPYCs IIRC. 


X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread - Murica (But International) Parrot Gang

 

Big Rig (Done) - (Main Rig) - i7 5960X @ 4.7Ghz/3.7Ghz core/uncore - Custom Loop: 2x 360GTS with EK-ZMT/Stubbies and EK D5 pump/res combo - EVGA X99 Classified - 32GB (4x8GB) HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3200MHz CL16 XMP - AMD Radeon VII (best TimeSpy so far: here) - 1TB 970 Evo - Corsair RM1000i - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG - 6x iPPC NF-F12 2000 

X79 Rig (Done) - (Alt Rig 1)- i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz - EVGA CLC 280 w/NF-P14s fans - EVGA X79 Dark - 16GBGB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600Mhz CL9 XMP - EVGA GTX 1660 Ti XC Ultra - MX500 1TB - 2x Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB - EVGA 1000W G3 w/CableMod PRO Carbon cables - Phanteks P400 (White) - NF-P12

 

X58 Rig (Done) - (Alt Rig 2) - Xeon X5675 @ 4.4/3.7 core/uncore- NH-D15S - EVGA X58 Classified SLI 4-Way - 24GB (3x8GB) HyperX Savage Red DDR3 @ 1750Mhz CL9-10-10-27 - 2x EVGA Classified 780s - 120GB HyperX SSD - EVGA 1600W T2 - Corsair 750D - 5x iPPC NF-A14 3000 PWM

 

2019 13" rMBP (i5/8GB/256GB) {work} - 2012 13" MBP (i5/16GB/525GB) {mine} - iPhone 11 Pro Max + Apple Watch S3 42mm - iPod Classic 6G 80GB running Rockbox + iPod Classic 5.5G Enhanced 30GB also on Rockbox - iPhone X - iPhone 4S on iOS 6.1.3

 

whip and nae nae

Link to post
Share on other sites

The expressed feelings at 19 minutes into the video about the directionality of the cable is a feeling I can very much relate to.

Having lots of technical problems trying to get something working, only to find out that a very trivial thing is the reason for why everything doesn't work...

 

Also, having a centralized computer in a home is an interesting topic.
Though, would be more interesting if CPU makers started making multi socketed systems a bit more "standard", and make it in a fashion where one can just mix and match CPUs as one desires, like having one highly multicored one for thread heavy workloads, and another for more single threaded ones. Preferably also having the hypervisor reallocating these resources on the fly between the VMs, but the technical implications of such a can of worms is something I rather not think too much about... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, James said:

Can Linus run ALL of the work and gaming stations in his ENTIRE HOUSE off of just one system?

raw


I tend to reply with memes because I lack social skills and don't know how to express myself correctly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Juular said:

30 minute video, clickbait title, clickbait thumbnail, no thanks.

I clicked the video expecting clickbait. Was pleasantly suprised. It's got a lot of unnecessary banter/reaction bits that make it overly long, but it's also actually about interesting tech, which is nice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've felt this is the way that home computing is going to go for a while, though I think Linus's solution is a bit out of reach for most home users. I'd love to see a "budget" version of this concept but accomplished with a bit more off the shelf hardware, Maybe a higher end Ryzen, or Threadripper instead of Epyc, and maybe the clients could be say, NUCs or some other very small form factor PC that's accessing the server via VNC over gigabit or perhaps having each client as a stand alone computer with game streaming done over Steam/Nvidia/Radeon link. 

 

I've been planning something like that for my own setup for a while. I'd like to know more about the management of the VMs though, for example being able to shut down the assigned cores when a client is out of use to make the idle power usage exceptionally low. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like to be critical but i feel it might be worthwhile, specifically with this video. 

Sometimes i think Linus is like the dad who had to sell his musclecar and his off-roading jeep for a family van, and then reacted by turning the family van into a hotrod monster truck, but because its computers and not many people know jack all about them everybody just nods their head and goes WOW, instead of like "wtf are you doing"

Its neat tech though, could be really good for gaming bars, universities etc that aren't already using VMs and could be.  Might inspire some young people just getting into PCs who may work in the field, but when he started talking about how Yvonne's computer was broken, then i thought of all the times hes talked about broken stuff at his house on The WAN Show i kinda cringed. 

This is all forgivable though, he has to make videos that will interest people and be something away from the norm, something new, what i suppose still irks me is when he considers individual components that cost more then most peoples whole computers "up to spec", graphics cards, monitors etc.   Like yeah sure thats up to spec for a wealthy techtuber but kinda feels weird watching it as a normal person, specifically how he treats and words it.  Its very posh and kind of a turn off, not all that he uses great tech but that hes so dismissive of even a 2070 Super.  I'm not saying he shouldn't push the latest greatest just that he could word the way he treats his own components better, i'd rather he talk about how amazing his stuff is, it would be less rude then acting like "a 2070 Super is bearly passable."

Just word it a bit better, talk about your own gear with the respect it deserves, not like this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

it was all pretty interesting though If I was going for a multi remote setup I would go for separate computer links like he had to do for the vibe setup. It just seems less likely to have problems

Link to post
Share on other sites
What virtualization software was used? I use vmware workstation 12, but there IS NO SUPPORT of any kind for graphics cards. In the VM guest it says ''VMware SVGA 3D'', thats it.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done guys.  Love the setup and the very much appreciate the consolidation of the hardware.

Now... to convince my wife to let me purchase the same....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Juular said:

It is clickbait when there are absolutely no info on the topic neither in the title nor in description nor in thumbnail, just shocked-ass Linus (as always) begging to click on it.

What do you want a full academic one paragraph abstract and well sourced introduction?   
Besides... every time anyone chooses a title for a thread, or a tweet it is clickbait.  If you don't want people to engage, by clicking, why put it on the net? 

Anyway. 
This was a really EPIC video and showed what is possible.  Perhaps someday... we will have a single computer installed in some utility room.  Wired up to standard fiber optic or ethernet in the home.  Much the way we have a hot water heater or central air conditioning now.   While in the past 80-100 years ago, the hot water for your bath was heated right there in the bathroom. 

This either needs to be made SO easy to install that any home owner can do it.  OR it has to become something which, like the plumbing and hotwater most people hire a professional to do it... once every 10-20 years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For people looking to run fiber in their home, two things the video had wrong:

 

1. Cost is negligible compared to Cat5/6e until you get to 1000ft boxes. It's not at all expensive.

2. It's not as fragile as they are making it our to be. For testing light we would attenuate the light by wrapping 5-6 times around a pencil to give you an idea. Yes it's glass but is closer to plastic in flexibility. Bend it at a sharp andgle and you're going to have a bad time though

3. While it is fairly strong, next ancor tie to the end and pull. The actual LC/SC ends are not directly attached to the fiber and you can literally just pull the caps right off.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

For people looking to run fiber in their home, two things the video had wrong:

 

1. Cost is negligible compared to Cat5/6e until you get to 1000ft boxes. It's not at all expensive.

2. It's not as fragile as they are making it our to be. For testing light we would attenuate the light by wrapping 5-6 times around a pencil to give you an idea. Yes it's glass but is closer to plastic in flexibility. Bend it at a sharp andgle and you're going to have a bad time though

3. While it is fairly strong, next ancor tie to the end and pull. The actual LC/SC ends are not directly attached to the fiber and you can literally just pull the caps right off.

 

I still remember when I first dealt with fiber and thought it was some super fragile thing. Then I learned it's a lot more resilient than most people know :D

 

Still wish I had run SM fiber instead of MM (kidding, sort-of)


Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

Bend it at a sharp andgle and you're going to have a bad time though

Happened my internet connection when my 1 year old nephew accidentally bent it. 


There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Juular said:

It is clickbait when there are absolutely no info on the topic neither in the title nor in description nor in thumbnail, just shocked-ass Linus (as always) begging to click on it.

This constant complaining of clickbait is getting so old. If the title and thumbnail are sterile and matter of fact the video gets less clicks, plain and simple.   

 

2 hours ago, Aegelward said:

I've felt this is the way that home computing is going to go for a while, though I think Linus's solution is a bit out of reach for most home users. I'd love to see a "budget" version of this concept but accomplished with a bit more off the shelf hardware, Maybe a higher end Ryzen, or Threadripper instead of Epyc, and maybe the clients could be say, NUCs or some other very small form factor PC that's accessing the server via VNC over gigabit or perhaps having each client as a stand alone computer with game streaming done over Steam/Nvidia/Radeon link. 

I wouldn't say there are 'budget' ways to achieve the same concept in the video but there are definitely less expensive options available with a Threadripper based build. Linus went full ham on his setup with 10-15k in hardware at least (that's my guess anyway) and the same could be achievable at much mess. I agree that the concept is very appealing, keep one computer in the house responsible for hosting all of the intensive workloads and then keep a number of thin clients throughout the house to access it. You don't necessarily need to run fiber throughout your home, just use the computers you likely already have in its place to facilitate the connections. It probably would be a good idea to upgrade your network to 10 gigabit to avoid bandwidth constraints but that can be done for around 1k at this point. If you're going through the trouble of investing in a server this demanding it makes sense to upgrade your LAN at the same time.      

 

1 hour ago, Otto_iii said:

When he started talking about how Yvonne's computer was broken, then i thought of all the times hes talked about broken stuff at his house on The WAN Show i kinda cringed. 

This is all forgivable though, he has to make videos that will interest people and be something away from the norm, something new, what i suppose still irks me is when he considers individual components that cost more then most peoples whole computers "up to spec", graphics cards, monitors etc.   Like yeah sure thats up to spec for a wealthy techtuber but kinda feels weird watching it as a normal person, specifically how he treats and words it.  Its very posh and kind of a turn off, not all that he uses great tech but that hes so dismissive of even a 2070 Super.  I'm not saying he shouldn't push the latest greatest just that he could word the way he treats his own components better, i'd rather he talk about how amazing his stuff is, it would be less rude then acting like "a 2070 Super is bearly passable."

Just word it a bit better, talk about your own gear with the respect it deserves, not like this. 

Have you ever heard the expression a carpenters home is never done? I believe the same can be applied to your first point. A carpenter never lets another carpenter work on their home unless they are collaborating during a larger project, and once one project concludes another begins, it's a repetitious cycle. I'm sure the same thing is happening at Linus's house, when one project concludes another begins. 

 

To your second point, I agree with you. The way Linus constantly juggles around expensive gear without much regard is just disappointing to watch. He's been doing this for so long I suppose he's just desensitized to it. Maybe it's for views or maybe he figures it's just a business expense and he probably won't be relying on most of the components in his videos anyway. I'd actually be interested to see how much remains in inventory, how much of it is sold off to employees at a considerable discount, and how much of it ends up in then bin after enough time has passed.   

 

55 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

What do you want a full academic one paragraph abstract and well sourced introduction?   
Besides... every time anyone chooses a title for a thread, or a tweet it is clickbait.  If you don't want people to engage, by clicking, why put it on the net? 

Anyway. 
This was a really EPIC video and showed what is possible.  Perhaps someday... we will have a single computer installed in some utility room.  Wired up to standard fiber optic or ethernet in the home.  Much the way we have a hot water heater or central air conditioning now.   While in the past 80-100 years ago, the hot water for your bath was heated right there in the bathroom. 

This either needs to be made SO easy to install that any home owner can do it.  OR it has to become something which, like the plumbing and hotwater most people hire a professional to do it... once every 10-20 years. 

Unless you're willing to set this up yourself or pay someone else to do it for you it will never likely become standardized as more cloud based services become available that aim to do the same thing. Sure, a local company could remote manage a server in an individuals home and send out a tech in the event of a hardware related issue. Larger companies setup their own servers either on site or outsource to other larger companies to provide a more stable and uninterrupted experience through redundant resources. They want to mitigate the possibility of faulty hardware on your end where they can't physically reach it. This is absolutely a niche concept that most wouldn't have a need for although it is quite appealing to those interested in tech and like to tinker.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Juular said:

30 minute video, clickbait title, clickbait thumbnail, no thanks.

yeah it totally is

 

welcome to linus videos

 

my first thought to the title was, yes its total clickbait, but linus has access to way more then the common person, in terms of product and getting shit for free, or at a highly reduced cost.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, if Linus ever reads this, He mentioned that his Win 10 USB was not working or not showing up, a possible fix for that is on mainly GIGABYTE mobo's have the USB boot device out of the USB slot before boot and then during POST plug in the USB boot drive, and check your boot devices. It may take a couple tries, but this has solved as few issues for me in the past.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×