How do you clean peripherals? (mouse and keyboard)

Epiclol86

So I have finally gotten myself a mechanical keyboard and a nice gaming mouse, and before that I didn't care that much about how clean my mouse/keyboard was but now that I have nice things, I want to keep them nice you know? The problem is, I don't know how to clean those and i'm a little worried about water and electronics, especially on my keyboard. 

How do you guys do it? Any good tips?

It would be greatly appreciated!

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

Iso and QTips. I also have a brush to get between the keys on the keyboard.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

i vacuum and dust my keyboard after taking off my keycaps and top shroud

because it's shitty rubber dome

my mouse i just wipe it down with a cloth

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

8 minutes ago, Epiclol86 said:

So I have finally gotten myself a mechanical keyboard and a nice gaming mouse, and before that I didn't care that much about how clean my mouse/keyboard was but now that I have nice things, I want to keep them nice you know? The problem is, I don't know how to clean those and i'm a little worried about water and electronics, especially on my keyboard. 

How do you guys do it? Any good tips?

It would be greatly appreciated!

take off all the keys and use qtips, sometimes canned air if you have rubber domes

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 minute ago, Founders said:

Alcohol and blue disposable shop clothes. I don't eat food while I'm on my computer which definitely helps.  

i do... but im not a pig ?. i dont know how some people get so much food in their keyboards

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

I clean my keycaps using warm water and denture cleaning tablets inside a plastic container, just let them soak for like 45 minutes, I also randomly shake them for added fun, you are going to have to rinse them with clean water afterwards but it works :)

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

1 minute ago, scuff gang said:

i do... but im not a pig ?. i dont know how some people get so much food in their keyboards

Don't get me started on how disgusting some people are. I worked in a PC repair shop years ago and the first thing I did when I got started on a laptop was clean off all the goo on it. Cheetos dust is the worst, among other things.  

For the keyboard, blow it out routinely and wipe the caps with a damp cloth.  Every so often take off all the keys for a more thorough blowing as well as individually cleaning each cap.  Tweezers will let you grab any hair or crumbs that for some reason hold on in hurricane force winds.  Shouldn't ever need more than that.  If it does then you need to adjust your usage rather than your cleaning methods.

As for the mouse, honestly shouldn't ever need much of anything.  Just an occasional wipe with a damp cloth.  Hopefully your mouse doesn't have a ton of nooks and crannies for stuff to build up in or this might be more of a procedure.

You're right to keep water away from them but this should never be an issue.  You will not be cleaning the circuitry directly and should never use a soaking/dripping cloth or worse.  The best way to keep things clean is to not let them get dirty in the first place.  Just wash your hands and keep the food away.  You can even eat at your desk and still adhere to these basic ideas, trust me I do it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Cotton pads and alcohol. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

For my keyboard(s), I disassemble both of them quite often for maintenance checks so I clean those using microfiber cloths and water just to keep the surface clean.

For my mouse, I just use a damp paper towel sicne it doesn't get very dirty at all due to my clean-freak nature.

I use cleansing wipes for both often just to eliminate bacteria.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Dyson vacuum the junk that falls through then get a handiwork to rub the top of the key caps

I take a picture of my keyboard and then remove all of the key caps. I place them into a strainer and submerge them into warm water with a gentle soap. As I wait, I use my electric duster to blow the dirt from my keyboard. Then I clean the insides with a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol. When I'm done, I pull one key out of the water, clean it, and then set it aside to dry. By the time I'm done cleaning there should be plenty dry enough to replace them back onto the board. 

Mice...I have no idea. I normally just run something small and thin along its edges to peel out the dirt. I unplug it and carefully scrub a little rubbing alcohol on its shell. After an hour It should be more than fine. If there an easier way to clean it, I'm all ears.

You could invest in or make some type of cover for the keyboard. I got a Ducky One 2 Mini and that came with one which is useful

MY RIG | Intel Core i5-4690K @4.4GHz | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS Z97-A  | Mismatched 24GB RAM @1600MHz DDR3 | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB + PNY CS900 120GB | GIGABYTE AORUS RX 570 4GB | FRACTAL DESIGN FOCUS G | CORSAIR CX550M  | WINDOWS 10 | Acer GN246HL 24" 1080p 144Hz  | Glorious Model O- (Glossy White) Ducky One 2 Mini (White - Cherry MX Silent Red) MOBILE | OnePlus 7 Pro 256GB (Grey) | iPad Pro 10.5 64GB (Gold)  PREVIOUS ACCOUNT: CYANOG

With alot of mice they have a textured surface and it keeps grabbing gunk off my fingers no matter how many times I wash them (really ocd about washing hands) but it still gets crap on it and its almost impossible to wipe it clean without wearing out the texture in a few months...

On 12/14/2019 at 11:03 PM, Founders said:

Don't get me started on how disgusting some people are. I worked in a PC repair shop years ago and the first thing I did when I got started on a laptop was clean off all the goo on it. Cheetos dust is the worst, among other things.  

Yeah, I work in an enterprise environment and when people ask for keyboard replacements or needing their laptop keyboard looked it, some of them need some deep cleaning with the amount greasy stains. It looks like they always eat with their PC right in front of them. Which leads me to saying canned air for loose debris, Iso Alcohol, Qtips and a nice cloth after pulling keys off of course. 

On 12/15/2019 at 6:03 AM, Founders said:

among other things.  

D

That's an F in the profile pic

Do you think I should clean my keyboard or is it still ok ?? ?

66526D24-D23A-4FEB-BC66-04E84966EB9B.jpeg

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

1 hour ago, Whiro said:

Do you think I should clean my keyboard or is it still ok ?? ?

Spoiler

66526D24-D23A-4FEB-BC66-04E84966EB9B.jpeg

Meh, seen worse. Still usable. Also could be used as a biological weapon if needed, that's super useful.