Intel recalls Xeon...

NumLock21

more specifically the E-2274G which runs at 4ghz and turbos up to 4.9ghz. There is nothing wrong with the cpu, it's the cooler they're bundled with. Intel has thought it was a good idea to bundled their very bottom of the bin stock cooler, rated for tdp of 65w or lower, with that xeon which has a tdp rating of 88w 83W.

Intel does have much "beefier" coolers like those with cooper cores and larger heatsinks, not sure why they don't use those.

As for what happens to them recall xeon e-2274g

The boxed SKU of the E-2274G, which includes a stock cooling solution, has been marked as "discontinued" and "end of life." Intel is offering an E-2274G tray processor (chip-only) as replacement for the returned inventory.

So box xeon with fan and 3 year warranty, becomes oem xeon with no fan, and 1 year warranty.

https://www.techpowerup.com/261168/intel-recalls-boxed-xeon-e-2274g-processors-due-to-inadequate-stock-cooler-effectiveness

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

image.jpeg.3cc45b3bc5aec5422fd6ff5197f81405.jpeg

remember when intel gave these out as stock coolers?

3gjutm.jpg

I think that's only for the $999 extreme editions.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Just now, NumLock21 said:

I think that's only for the $999 extreme editions.

pretty much, but at least they were actually trying then. Now, you don't even get any cooler on the HEDT CPUs :S 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

more specifically the E-2274G which runs at 4ghz and turbos up to 4.9ghz. There is nothing wrong with the cpu, it's the cooler they're bundled with. Intel has thought it was a good idea to bundled their very bottom of the bin stock cooler, rated for tdp of 65w or lower, with that xeon which has a tdp rating of 88w.

Intel does have much "beefier" coolers like those with cooper cores and larger heatsinks, not sure why they don't use those.

As for what happens to them recall xeon e-2274g

So box xeon with fan and 3 year warranty, becomes oem xeon with no fan, and 1 year warranty.

https://www.techpowerup.com/261168/intel-recalls-boxed-xeon-e-2274g-processors-due-to-inadequate-stock-cooler-effectiveness

That’s not a replacement, or a recall solution.  They’re not actually fixing the problem, they're avoiding responsibility for the problem and pushing it onto consumers.  The whole point of a recall is to avoid a lawsuit.  This one won’t do it.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s not a replacement, or a recall solution.  They’re not actually fixing the problem, they're avoiding responsibility for the problem and pushing it onto consumers.  The whole point of a recall is to avoid a lawsuit.  This one won’t do it.  

What the hell are you talking about?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

What the hell are you talking about?

Intel are not fixing the problem of a fan being undersized, they are simply recalling the whole package and giving the customers a cpu only (that they already had)  Unless each customer gets a discount/reimbursement for having their purchase downgraded to a chip with a shorter warranty and having had their fan taken away then they have essentially tried to cut losses on replacing whole parts by half a recall which has the same result as simply changing the product description.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Intel are not fixing the problem of a fan being undersized, they are simply recalling the whole package and giving the customers a cpu only (that they already had)  Unless each customer gets a discount/reimbursement for having their purchase downgraded to a chip with a shorter warranty and having had their fan taken away then they have essentially tried to cut losses on replacing whole parts by half a recall which has the same result as simply changing the product description.

if the chip was previously available separately they might possibly be able to get away with refunding the price difference, but there’s still the 3 year warranty problem.  They’re probably going to have to refund the difference AND honor the 3 year warranty.  Or provide a usable cooler and provide the warranty.  Don’t know why they just didn’t do that.  Treat it as a cooler only recall.   Would have been easier and cheaper for everyone.  A lot of people who used better than stock coolers wouldn’t have even bothered with the return as all they would get is a cooler they weren’t going to use anyway.  Stupidity at high pay grades.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

if the chip was previously available separately they might possibly be able to get away with refunding the price difference, but there’s still the 3 year warranty problem.  They’re probably going to have to refund the difference AND honor the 3 year warranty.  Or provide a usable cooler and provide the warranty.  Don’t know why they just didn’t do that.  Treat it as a cooler only recall.   Would have been easier and cheaper for everyone.  A lot of people who used better than stock coolers wouldn’t have even bothered with the return as all they would get is a cooler they weren’t going to use anyway.  Stupidity at high pay grades.

I wonder if the boxed product only had a 1 year warranty for the CPU and 3 years for the cooler?  Either way they can't just take the cooler back and say suck it up.  They must replace the cooler with one that does the advertised job.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Are they giving any compensation for a shorter warranty and no cooler, such as a partial refund on purchase price? Seems a little bait and switchy but that's  not the correct legal term.

59 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I wonder if the boxed product only had a 1 year warranty for the CPU and 3 years for the cooler?  Either way they can't just take the cooler back and say suck it up.  They must replace the cooler with one that does the advertised job.

If the cpu only ever had a 1 year warranty they may not even be challenged.   Possible non problem.  Still easier to just send out appropriate coolers.  I suspect a lot of users don’t really care though.  Intel coolers are what more or less created the aftermarket cooler market by being so lame.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Intel is recalling doesn't mean the customer is forced to return it. It's a Xeon, that's will be installed into workstations or severs already with better cooling. Those who buys them for their personal system, I'm pretty positive they know what they're doing, and will use a better cooler in the first place.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

While I don't disagree with you remember that we're talking about America here, they have NO WHERE NEAR the same level of consumer protection as Europe & Australia do.

Technically they don't have to do anything, they just risk a class action as a result.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Intel is recalling doesn't mean the customer is forced to return it. It's a Xeon, that's will be installed into workstations or severs already with better cooling. Those who buys them for their personal system, I'm pretty positive they know what they're doing, and will use a better cooler in the first place.

Thats not the point though, if the product has a manufacturer defect then it should be up to said manufacturer to fix it, at least so the product is as advertised.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Thats not the point though, if the product has a manufacturer defect then it should be up to said manufacturer to fix it, at least so the product is as advertised.

There is nothing wrong with the CPU and the cooler, both have no defects. The problem is Intel is bundling a weak cooler with high TDP CPU (Cooler is rated for 65w TDP. Xeon CPU is 88W TDP). What Intel should have done, is sent better CPU cooler for those that request them, instead of doing the recall.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

There is nothing wrong with the CPU and the cooler, both have no defects. The problem is Intel is bundling a weak cooler with high TDP CPU (Cooler is rated for 65w TDP. Xeon CPU is 88W TDP). What Intel should have done, is sent better CPU cooler for those that request them, instead of doing the recall.

Right, so the manufacturer should take steps to fix the problem. Also there is problems, the product isn't as advertised and the cooler isn't fit for purpose.

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Right, so the manufacturer should take steps to fix the problem. Also there is problems, the product isn't as advertised and the cooler isn't fit for purpose.

Yep. “Fit for purpose” is british rather than US legalese though.  There are US systems that produce somewhat similar results (in theory) through a different process.  There will be different specific hurdles.  If there WAS a 3 year warranty on the CPUs with coolers that they’re trying to get out of I predict bad things in both places assuming the applicable laws are allowed to do what they are supposed to do.

29 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

That doesn't change the fact that intel sold a product and is trying to get out of the respectability for that product by offering an inadequate return offer disguised as a recall.  The cooler can't handle the CPU it was sold with, so they should replace the cooler or refund the entire purchase, not reduce the warrant and take the cooler back. 

* thread cleaned *

Please stay on-topic

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

That doesn't change the fact that intel sold a product and is trying to get out of the respectability for that product by offering an inadequate return offer disguised as a recall.  The cooler can't handle the CPU it was sold with, so they should replace the cooler or refund the entire purchase, not reduce the warrant and take the cooler back. 

The 1 year is just speculation since it's an OEM CPU, which only carries warranty of just 1 year.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

11 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

The tall heatsinks were for the HEDT sockets like 1366 and 2011-3, but there is a version of the consumer stock cooler with copper in it that's worlds better. Would be amazing if Intel wasn't all "but the profits!" and made a product worth using.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

24 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The tall heatsinks were for the HEDT sockets like 1366 and 2011-3, but there is a version of the consumer stock cooler with copper in it that's worlds better. Would be amazing if Intel wasn't all "but the profits!" and made a product worth using.

I had those with the copper core for my old Pentium D 820.

1366 came with stock coolers. 2011 and 2011-3 does not come with stock coolers. Mainstream used to have stock coolers with cooper cores, don't remember when Intel stopped including with them.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Mainstream used to have stock coolers with cooper cores, don't remember when Intel stopped including with them.

4th gen was the last to see them. I actually managed to snag a cheap one for my brother's 7700, works a treat.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

4th gen was the last to see them. I actually managed to snag a cheap one for my brother's 7700, works a treat.

I know intel used to bundle the proper ones with the cpus. Stock cooler with cooper cores are bundled with core i7 and i5, while non copper are bindled with core i3 and lower.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Iirc the opening of China and the sudden massive building boom shocked a lot of markets associated with construction.  Copper was one of them because electrical wiring and pipes.  If the disappearance coincided with a shock in copper prices it’s possible they’re not so expensive to make anymore.