TSMC and GF all lawsuit dismiss

rawrdaysgoby

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/misc_hardware/tsmc_and_globalfoundries_settle_patent_dispute_-_all_lawsuits_dismissed/1?fbclid=IwAR2boZuIj5DEMeF3V1jOXZS334D-1UltRC9gsvUdhxN24fZfLuUM1R9bLU4

TSMC and GLOBALFOUNDRIES (GF) today announced they are dismissing all litigation between them as well as those that involve any of their customers. The companies have agreed to a broad life-of-patents cross-license to each other’s worldwide existing semiconductor patents as well as those patents that will be filed during the next ten years as both companies continue to invest significantly in semiconductor research and development.

This resolution guarantees TSMC and GF freedom to operate and ensures that their respective customers will continue to have access to each foundry's complete array of technologies and services.

Well that went on longer then I expected. Now they get to share patents... Well looks like a win for consumers as far as I can tell or is this basically like a pseudo monopoly 

Sort of surprising, and yet not really. Because for either to continue they'd both need to cooperate.

Good to see them finally shake hands and move on. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Kind of expecting this, the legal costs would have been tremendous anyways.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

what a huge waste of money

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

what a colossal misuse as regards funds

2 hours ago, floofer said:

what a colossal misuse as regards funds

Eh, not really. It gives them some advantage against Samsung and Intel.

Something good yey. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

14 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Sort of surprising, and yet not really. Because for either to continue they'd both need to cooperate.

Good to see them finally shake hands and move on. 

Finally? This is the quickest turn around for massive cross patent lawsuits between two corporate giants I have ever seen.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Interesting.... GloFo 7nm when?

I don't think it works that way though, anyone who has better knowledge care to comment?

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 10/29/2019 at 8:34 AM, GOTSpectrum said:

Interesting.... GloFo 7nm when?

I don't think it works that way though, anyone who has better knowledge care to comment?

GloFlo already had their own 7nm process in development and abandoned it a year or two ago, presumably due to the expense of the fabs themselves. I'm pretty sure that they are just too small to sustain the R&D and upfront investment these smaller nodes require and just wanted to focus on the "easy" stuff. 

I doubt that even with access to TSMC's patent's they would want to open that whole can of worms again.