IP Apocalypse - RIPE confirms available IPv4 addresses will run out in November

rcmaehl

Is it really so hard for ISPs to change to IPv6? Almost every device with an internet connection since windows XP has IPv6 support.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I can't buy help think of AMD's solution to this: 1.0.0.3ABBA :D

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

16 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

The UK, Europe

Oh no, not the UK AND Europe!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

the addresses are a god damn nightmare to remember.

10 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

IPv6 is great, but I find the addresses are so much harder to remember because they aren't just numbers...

Are you living in the dark ages or just never heard of local dns? 9_9 Since i have a pfsense router i basically never used ip address to reach something on my network...

/ON

Im one of the many unlucky ppl who's ISP uses CGN without IPv6. Its a good thing they give you public IP if you ask nicely but still.....

15 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

wonder who would get 255.255.255.255

c:\>ping 255.255.255.255
Ping request could not find host 255.255.255.255. Please check the name and try again.

Nobody yet ?

19 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Are you living in the dark ages or just never heard of local dns? 9_9 Since i have a pfsense router i basically never used ip address to reach something on my network...

I have to work with networking all the time, knowing IP addresses come up just as much and is more important than the DNS name. IPv6 address are just a right pain, we deal with that by prefix of our IPv6 network address then suffix is the IPv4 address so all our IPv6 addresses are identical to our IPv4 addresses just with an IPv6 prefix in front of it, mental life saver honestly.

17 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The UK is in Europe

Not anymore, when we push them towards America!

image.png.6bafc90cb67d0ad2207edf95a1791a66.png

/s

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

17 minutes ago, minibois said:

Not anymore, when we push them towards America!

no thanks..we already got one.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

58 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I have to work with networking all the time, knowing IP addresses come up just as much and is more important than the DNS name. IPv6 address are just a right pain, we deal with that by prefix of our IPv6 network address then suffix is the IPv4 address so all our IPv6 addresses are identical to our IPv4 addresses just with an IPv6 prefix in front of it, mental life saver honestly.

Bookmarks/spreadsheet...... The only address i know off the top of my head is the router.

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

/ON

Im one of the many unlucky ppl who's ISP uses CGN without IPv6. Its a good thing they give you public IP if you ask nicely but still.....

Not when you're configuring local hardware in a fixed way.

It's over internet is limited muhaha. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

25 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Bookmarks/spreadsheet...... The only address i know off the top of my head is the router.

It's more about reported issues, looking at the address, going to the security team, what was that address again? afe56::2f53s:blah blah? forgot now??? grrrr. There's things I can just do with IPv4 addresses that I cannot with IPv6 and it's all down to memorization.

Edit:

Like I legit know off memory probably 50+ servers IPv4 addresses, I know immediately looking at any IPv4 address what subnet and VLAN it belongs to and which building it is coming from or which security zone in the datacenter. IPv6 without the way we address them using the IPv4 address in it.... not a hope in hell of doing the same. 

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's more about reported issues, looking at the address, going to the security team, what was that address again? afe56::2f53s:blah blah? forgot now??? grrrr. There's things I can just do with IPv4 addresses that I cannot with IPv6 and it's all down to memorization.

Label the machine? We have two printers where i work. One main and one reserve. Main one is labeled as COK and reserve is COKR........  Stop looking for excuses why you cant use it. I also have IPv6 on my LAN. Infrastructure (routers, AP's, NAS's, etc) has fixed IP, everything else is dynamic. For the fixed stuff i have bookmarks and DNS entries for everything connected to the router. Thats about it

8 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Label the machine? We have two printers where i work. One main and one reserve. Main one is labeled as COK and reserve is COKR........  Stop looking for excuses why you cant use it. I also have IPv6 on my LAN. Infrastructure (routers, AP's, NAS's, etc) has fixed IP, everything else is dynamic. For the fixed stuff i have bookmarks and DNS entries for everything connected to the router. Thats about it

It's not about labeling it's about being able to remember it while working on it, directly in the moment. What you're saying is equivalent to not being able to remember anyone's name while talking to them and hoping the name tag is on their shirt, yes I can look up the name but that is not work efficient.

It's a real issue, human brain limitation just because of the complexity of the address style, I'm not saying it's a reason to not use IPv6 but this actually is an issue and if you'd worked any time in supporting networks you'd likely be able to better understand what I'm pointing to.

Edit:

And to be clear we have a central asset database and web interface, every device has an asset tag, every device has a friendly DNS name. It's not a labeling issue, it's not an IP address management issue, it's not a DNS issue, it's a memorization issue.

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

yes I can look up the name but that is not work efficient.

Just as memorizing every single device's IP address. Its like when at my workplace we had to memorize a whole ton of code number so we would know what goes into the car. Guess what? We found a another way without the codes.......  Why memorize anything that can be looked up in a matter of seconds? Its both dumb and pointless.

10 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Just as memorizing every single device's IP address. Its like when at my workplace we had to memorize a whole ton of code number so we would know what goes into the car. Guess what? We found a another way without the codes.......  Why memorize anything that can be looked up in a matter of seconds? Its both dumb and pointless.

I'm not saying memorize every single device address (legit impossible here as alone we have 10000 PC, thousands of APs, thousands of switches, thousands of servers etc etc), put it this way imagine trying to get your job done if you forget the name of everything and every person after a few seconds. That label on the printer, yea you just forgot that immediately after reading it. Good luck getting your job done efficiently now compared to being able to remember it. But don't worry all the information is in the job ticket, just open the browser go to the site, find the ticket get the details, lookup the address again, ha you can't because you're not at your desk because you're following up the issue with another team so now they have to go through the same process you just did because you couldn't remember the IP address.

I'm talking about the specific ability to remember the IP address you got from DNS, if you cannot repeat it even after just reading it that is a problem and is actually rather frustrating and not an issue with IPv4 addresses.

For people worried about this making networking a nightmare, perhaps someone with more network experience can explain if this idea would avoid that or not: just have every public access point get an IPv6 address but within the company/organization, use IPv4.  I know part of the point of IPv6 is to have so many addresses that they can afford to give every device in the world a unique public address, but that actually gets at why I don't like it - half the point of a router is the fact that from outside, you can only target it and nothing behind it, but things behind it can reach out.  If every device had a public address it defeats that security.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

For people worried about this making networking a nightmare, perhaps someone with more network experience can explain if this idea would avoid that or not: just have every public access point get an IPv6 address but within the company/organization, use IPv4.  I know part of the point of IPv6 is to have so many addresses that they can afford to give every device in the world a unique public address, but that actually gets at why I don't like it - half the point of a router is the fact that from outside, you can only target it and nothing behind it, but things behind it can reach out.  If every device had a public address it defeats that security.

"Half the point of a router..." is an incorrect statement.  Half the point of a NAT may be that you can only target it.  That is unless it has a static reverse NAT set up on it.  All L3 NAT devices are routers by nature; all routers are not NAT devices.

With that said: yes, you can 4-to-6 NAT if you want.  This is only applicable for people at home though.  Really, any company with a large global presence and lots of public-facing servers will want to avoid doing any sort of NAT for their high bandwidth services.  NATs suck, through and through.  They're a bitch to troubleshoot, and they're potentially a bandwidth bottleneck.

Ultimately, folks are going to have to get over the whole, "I can't memorize IPv6 as easy" excuse.  I get it, they're a PITA to work with from a usability perspective.  Specially for those of us working on networking infrastructure.  But the sooner you dive in and immerse yourself, the sooner you'll get over it.

And you WILL have to get over it.  Eventually.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Meanwhile, my ISP has been handing out static IPs to all their customers for a few years now, so they can stay in IPv4 longer while delaying the rollout of IPv6.

I swear their "beta" for IPv6 has been ongoing since 2011, all while needing their fancy new modem/router, they won't let you sign up to the "beta" without it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

"Half the point of a router..." is an incorrect statement.  Half the point of a NAT may be that you can only target it.  That is unless it has a static reverse NAT set up on it.  All L3 NAT devices are routers by nature; all routers are not NAT devices.

Well, ok I know it's also a switch, a wireless AP, a firewall, etc. and ours does also do NAT, and strictly speaking NAT isn't a firewall, but I consider it part of it and definitely value that functionality.  "Half" may have just been a figure of speech :P

With that said: yes, you can 4-to-6 NAT if you want.  This is only applicable for people at home though.  Really, any company with a large global presence and lots of public-facing servers will want to avoid doing any sort of NAT for their high bandwidth services.  NATs suck, through and through.  They're a bitch to troubleshoot, and they're potentially a bandwidth bottleneck.

Ah ok, good to know

Ultimately, folks are going to have to get over the whole, "I can't memorize IPv6 as easy" excuse.  I get it, they're a PITA to work with from a usability perspective.  Specially for those of us working on networking infrastructure.  But the sooner you dive in and immerse yourself, the sooner you'll get over it.

And you WILL have to get over it.  Eventually.

I'd imagine people will have to just write things down now rather than trying to memorize them.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

22 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

But the sooner you dive in and immerse yourself, the sooner you'll get over it.

Dunno about that, we've been using IPv6 for over 5 years and they still bug me lol. But that has more to do with actual issues with IPv6 like sites not working over IPv6 but work fine over IPv4 that were just working the day before, then having to figure out who's issue it is, us or them. Then there is even dumber issues like the security team forgetting to put firewall rules in for the IPv6 address of the server, I know shouldn't be a thing but yea... happens enough to be annoying.