Why NOT to buy Radeon 5700 XT… Yet – Our Review

Two new Radeons compliment AMD’s simultaneous 3rd-gen Ryzen launch, but do they have the performance it takes to keep up with Nvidia’s RTX SUPER cards, or are they just hot air?

Buy a Radeon RX 5700:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/uW64O
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KV5L

Buy a Radeon RX 5700 XT:
On Amazon: https://geni.us/ANSB9Aw
On Newegg: https://lmg.gg/8KV5B

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Another amazing Anthony video as always!

You seem to be looking at the Navi cards much more confidently than Steve/GN, I'm not sure if you've seen his review but if you have why do you figure such a differing outlook on the cards? I know Steve is always very critical but the difference is almost staggering to me.

Regardless, you are quickly becoming my favorite LMG host and I hope to see you in even more videos coming forward!

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

For the 2070S vs 2060S Render, the main difference is the use of the T104 vs the T106. Perhaps this is the change?  I'm wondering how this same test bench stacks up with a 2080 (non-S) card, as they both use the T104 die, though the 2070S disables some features.

Capture.JPG

12 minutes ago, Evanair said:

For the 2070S vs 2060S Render, the main difference is the use of the T104 vs the T106. Perhaps this is the change?  I'm wondering how this same test bench stacks up with a 2080 (non-S) card.

Capture.JPG

EXACTLY they could have put a regular 2080 into the test (surely they have those numbers from their Super review) since the 2070 Super IS a 2080 with disabled cores.

Also (general comment unrelated to the post I am replying to),

COME ON GUYS, really, REALLY???? STOP with these "performance per dollar weighted graphs" they are meaningless bullshit, trying to level the performance of a card that is so fucking sporadic is just stupid, people need to actually look at what they actually will do with this GPU (or any GPU and compare it with the others) because the performance on these cards is all over the fucking map, in 1 game the 5700 is beating a 2070 Super, in another the 2060 Super is SMASHING the fuck out of the XT, this inconsistency from game to game should scare the shit out of anyone considering buying these GPU's, it has to specifically win in everything you do with it otherwise you have to weight it yourself based on how much you do each thing to determine if it's the better overall value, YOUR "weighting system" isn't the same as someone elses, you don't know where the random users important weight points are, so attempting to weight averages across all programs is worthless because how many people actually use EVERY program you used to create this base statistic? it's almost as pointless as that PCIE 4.0 Bandwidth test that AMD did. This is as meaningless as that time when Paul or Kyle (I honestly forget which one) did that video where they tested a bunch of different games (with several different GPU's along the product stack) at 1080p, 1440p and 4k then averaged the framerate of the 3 resolutions when the higher end cards in the comparison where hitting the game engine framerate caps at 1080p which resulted in lower averages then if they had just thrown out the 1080p results entirely.

1 hour ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

You seem to be looking at the Navi cards much more confidently than Steve/GN, I'm not sure if you've seen his review but if you have why do you figure such a differing outlook on the cards? I know Steve is always very critical but the difference is almost staggering to me.

Because they tested different games for the most part and LTT didn't include OC results where NVIDIA regains the lead because Navi can't OC for shit (both stability and thermal issues).

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

2 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

damn 5700XT looks like Linus dropped something on the mold and AMD couldn't afford to replace it.

on the meme thread, that's old news

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

Wow, AMD's video-encoder was fricking terrible. I happen to really like NVENC and it's one of the major reasons I go for NVIDIA-cards. It's also a lot better supported than AMD's equivalent.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Thank you Anthony for the well-made video and all the overtime you put in to make it happen!

The 5700XT looks quite nice despite the few instances in which its performance was a bit low, but I suspect that new drivers will iron out some of those. The fact that AMD sent a new driver to the press on Friday makes me think there is still some significant room for improvement there.
As for overclocking, I watched reviewers like GN complaining that this card doesn't do too much there, probably in part also because the drivers still have issues. One review (in German only) that I have linked in the megathread showed a 5700XT overclocked to 2100 Mhz core (using a prototype of a EK waterblock the reviewer managed to get), so there is hope for overclocking yet. That same reviewer ran into issues when trying to overclock the memory, but that may be caused by driver issues.

Would a 2070 non S be a smart buy if I can find one for a good deal, for high refresh 1080p or 1440p

6 hours ago, Red :) said:

on the meme thread, that's old news

Thank you, A̶̞̞͉͚̻̱̺͎͖͙̪̋̋n̴̠͍̳̱̞͎̠̮̩̪̯̦̭͐t̷̨̬̟̬̖̻̘̒̀̔̓̽̀̋̌̊͌̕͝ͅḩ̵̟̿̇̍̓̆͗͑̓͘͠ó̵͎̠ņ̷̢̡̛͎͎͚̫̩͇͙͙̐͗̐̈̋̊̋̒̈́̅̕͝͠y̷̰͉̲̱͓͎̘̯̹͔͑͆̀͘.

10 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

It boils down to a few points:

1. The 5700 is overall pretty good, even with the blower
  2. The GPU design itself is good. A little power hungry, but good
  3. The 5700 XT reference design CARD kind of sucks. Without undervolting, it's woefully undercooled...
  4. BUT the reference cards also don't ramp the fans up beyond around 50%, meaning it can be fixed...
  5. ... But the fan noise gets atrocious if it ramps much further than they let it go.

TL;DR custom boards with adequate cooling I think will be perfectly fine. I didn't test OC precisely because the cooling is so bad.

2 hours ago, GabenJr said:

It boils down to a few points:

1. The 5700 is overall pretty good, even with the blower
  2. The GPU design itself is good. A little power hungry, but good
  3. The 5700 XT reference design CARD kind of sucks. Without undervolting, it's woefully undercooled...
  4. BUT the reference cards also don't ramp the fans up beyond around 50%, meaning it can be fixed...
  5. ... But the fan noise gets atrocious if it ramps much further than they let it go.

TL;DR custom boards with adequate cooling I think will be perfectly fine. I didn't test OC precisely because the cooling is so bad.

Curious, did you experience all the driver issues he did with overclocking and frequency reporting?

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

14 hours ago, GabenJr said:

I'm guessing you've already seen this video covering that OSB's built in amd encoder is old and crap and that there's better options available that makes navi "Better than a 2080ti*" for those workloads?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 hours ago, Streetguru said:

I'm guessing you've already seen this video covering that OSB's built in amd encoder is old and crap and that there's better options available that makes navi "Better than a 2080ti*" for those workloads?

He says it's around 10-series NVENC level of quality with the new plugin if I'm not mistaken, which is still good but not quite up to par, but he's impressed with the AVC encoder. It's unfortunate that we didn't have the time to do a deep dive like Epos and Wendell did... Perhaps I'll ping him next time I'm doing this and see if he's made any observations, since he's far more focused on that side of things than we are.

44 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

I also don't know why one would need to output 6 1080p streams at the same time.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

image.thumb.png.71aa023f1b9e65fcc9f09486efa65f9a.png

Got an Nvidia RTX Super ad on the AMD Radeon 5700 XT review.

Apparently that's how AMD lost its "mind share" to its rivals.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 3:37 PM, valdyrgramr said:

So, Sapphire kinda rushed the cooler or something?

Doesn’t seem like they rushed it, more like AMD just always uses bad coolers. Other than the Fury X and Radeon VII they’re almost all single fan blowers. 7970, 290X, 390X, 480, 580, Vega 56, and Vega 64. Hell even the 6990 was a single fan cooler.

Looks like it will be a great card, just waiting for some decent cooled 5700s to come out. AMD should have waited 2 weeks for the partner boards to come out though.

• 8 months later...

I took this advice, and now that I wish to build in the Fractal Era ITX I'd rather have a blower and they're all sold out. RIP me

• 10 months later...

I took the advice of these influencers and bought a Sapphire 5700XT Pulse and boy do I regret it. The problem is the influences only test once and give their results and views which is fair enough. I've had mine since November 2019 and had nothing but black screen crashes in every game I play since and never been able to resolve it. I so wish I had bought an Nvidia 2070 for just 40 quid more. Nvidia is not the top manufacturer of graphics cads for no reason. I know this is an old thread but someone will search the forum for 5700XT and I think they should be aware that a decision should be based on more than just which card is fastest and cheapest, reliability makes a huge difference. Yes I know other factors may be behind the problem however in the past I've always followed the manufacture with a reputation for reliability and never had these problems. That is why in the near future I believe Intel will reign supreme again.