Need to wipe an iPhone 8 for legitimate reasons

rocketbagel

My aunt works for a company and recently an extremely shady person left their phone at the building and proceeded to disappear for several weeks and accumulate $6,000 on the company card. He ended up charging a car rental to it and reappearing all the way in Louisiana (we live in Oklahoma). His phone needs to be wiped of all things involving the company and my aunt says I can have the phone if I can wipe it. I’d really like to get this phone because it’s a huge upgrade over my current phone. How can I wipe it without the password?

...Why doesn't the company just wipe the phone? ...it is their device afterall...

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Your company should have mobile device management software installed that will allow them to do that.

If it is not the businesses phone I wont help as it is still theft.

3 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

...Why doesn't the company just wipe the phone? ...it is their device afterall...

I'd imagine whoever had the phone changed the password, and the company doesn't want to waste any more resources dealing with this issue.

Ryzen 7 2700X  ASUS X470 PRO  16GB 2400Mhz Crucial Ballistix SAPPHIRE RX 580  970 EVO  Dark Rock PRO 4  Dark Base PRO 900

There are ways to format an iphone through itunes. I've done it before and it works just fine

1. Connect your iPhone to computer.
  2. Open iTunes and click on the device tab at the upper left corner on iTunes.
  3. Once done, click on “Restore iPhone” and follow the instructions to erase iPhone without passcode.

Edit : Nevermind, I did this on an iOS 5 device, this doesn't work anymore with iOS 7 and up due to activation lock. Your best bet is either through Remote Management or with proof of purchase.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

There are ways to format an iphone through itunes. I've done it before and it works just fine

I think this will icloud lock it if I remember correctly.

If OP has access to another device on the same iCloud account, it can be remotely wiped and removed from Find My iPhone via that device.

Open FMiP, and select the device

First it should say "Wipe Device", then after you do that it will give you an option to "Remove Device" Do this, and the device will present itself to you as if it were brand new with no iCloud.

If OP does not, then he will more or less be screwed if he does not know the password to the iCloud. If he does, just format it in iTunes, provide the password during setup, then log out of the phone being sure to disable Find My iPhone before doing so. It will then delete all ties to the iCloud acc and be like it was never touched.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

3 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

I think this will icloud lock it if I remember correctly.

It will.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

If this is company owned and you can produce the proof of purchase, Apple will unlock it. I've done this a few times with company devices. 

Otherwise, the only way Apple will process an activation lock issue is to help the original owner get signed in to their icloud account. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

The best option is to see if the company can wipe it through their Remote Management software through Apple. Otherwise, there is no way to wipe the phone without triggering an iCloud lock (unless of course the phone has iCloud off or Find My iPhone off), which cannot be undone unless you are willing to potentially scam yourself on the Tor black market with some shady deals.

@jake9000's method is also a good idea.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

1 hour ago, rocketbagel said:

How can I wipe it without the password?

If the iPhone is connected to an iCloud account then there's no way of getting it back, you format it by going into DFU mode and connecting it to Itunes, but if it has an iCloud account connected to it, it will ask for that iCloud account even after you format, which makes the phone completely useless

You can try Jake's idea though

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

OP gets a free phone for wiping evidence from a criminals phone at the request of an Aunt who works for the company that was defrauded.   Sorry but that doesn't sound legit at all.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

OP gets a free phone for wiping evidence from a criminals phone at the request of an Aunt who works for the company that was defrauded.   Sorry but that doesn't sound legit at all.

The real question is who defrauds a company for only $6000. Think big people! You are risking your job for $6000?

2 minutes ago, floofer said:

The real question is who defrauds a company for only $6000. Think big people! You are risking your job for $6000?

It sounds like the aunts job is at risk because of this $6000.   I think she might have been duped by a con man and the phone contains the evidence.

EDIT: and if she wasn't duped by a conman then it would seem either her relationship to this guy is incriminating or the company is happy to erase evidence and give away the only device of value he left (doesn't seem very logical to me).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It sounds like the aunts job is at risk because of this $6000.   I think she might have been duped by a con man and the phone contains the evidence.

EDIT: and if she wasn't duped by a conman then it would seem either her relationship to this guy is incriminating or the company is happy to erase evidence and give away the only device of value he left (doesn't seem very logical to me).

Depends on the insurance the company has. A claim like this could increase the rates due to security concerns not stated in their coverage. Could not be worth it over a year. Wanting to get rid of the evidence in case of audit. Probably only for a large company though. Could be a number of explanations in the world.

BTW, you can erase an iPhone w/o bypassing activation or device management, but you can't use it. (Or limited usability with company managed devices). Just restore using iTunes in recovery mode. Congrats, now you can just sell it for parts ?.

1 hour ago, floofer said:

Depends on the insurance the company has. A claim like this could increase the rates due to security concerns not stated in their coverage. Could not be worth it over a year. Wanting to get rid of the evidence in case of audit. Probably only for a large company though. Could be a number of explanations in the world.

That actually doesn't make it much more legit, hiding criminal activity to save on insurance fees. 

EDIT: I mean regardless of what the company wants to do, and regardless of the persons guilt, it's still no there property to give away.

Just destroy the phone, the company is already out $6k, whats $800 more?

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

Why would you hide evidence?

If the cops are gonna investigate, then they'll benefit from the having the phone; for text messages and whatnot. 

Unless there's something to hide, which adds more questions than answers..

Also, if it's a company phone then you can't just keep it..

I don't know what's more shady, the guy who stole $6k or you being asked to get rid of the phone. 

9 hours ago, lewdicrous said:

I don't know what's more shady, the guy who stole $6k or you being asked to get rid of the phone. 

I have to agree with this. It's entirely possible that the company wouldn't  pursue criminal charges (corporate lawyers are notoriously expensive if the defendant pleads not guilty), but if the phone has been recovered and is not considered evidence, it should be destroyed by a professional so that in the event it happens again on a different device that was wiped by this service, they know who to go after and identify any other devices that are compromised as well.

Your Aunt is not handling this correctly. This was a breech. I don't know of a single corporation that doesn't have a structured technology policy that employees are to follow in the event of a breech.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Honestly, at this point it seems like the phone is much better off as a paperweight. I had a similar situation but never really found a solution to unlocking the phone since there is so many restrictions on what companies can do nowadays for privacy.