Borderlands 3 will be exclusively on the Epic store for the first 6 months

Go to solution Solved by Terryv,

For everyone asking ng why the epic launcher is so bad. Here's a list of missing features as compared to steam.

wL7LZAp.jpg

Here's a link that discusses EGS privacy concerns: https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0rxdq/epic_game_store_spyware_tracking_and_you/

Here's one in regards to their security problems (may or may not be fixed): https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://motherboard.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/vba5nb/fornite-login-hack-epic-games-website&ved=2ahUKEwiA69Kuy7ThAhVHaq0KHdjoAuQQFjAEegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw3ca1m65eGjWGdUWfgPeRGF&ampcf=1&cshid=1554317396981

58 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

oh joy

(for other already released borderlands games)

A: have you guys considered that you're hurting steam sales to the 7 people oblivious to what the score represents (or the scoring system in general)

B: yeah Steam's not going to count review bombs, so i guess the message is what's left of value.

C: wouldn't the better message be to rate positively and keep the "screw Epic store" message while waiting for EGS's release to downrate? if we're going to support steam here. (not that I prefer vote mobs in general, but)

I think the general idea here is to hurt 2k games with this tactic. Everyone seems eager to complain that EGS exclusives are hurting developers but I think this is a good example of people hurting developers because they've gotten emotional.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

So this is what I've understood from reading about this whole epic store deal on the internet.

Person: "This is terrible! This is just hurting the developers!"

Same Person: "Lets mass boycott all Gearbox/2K titles and mass negative review bomb borderlands titles!"

Really, who is hurting the developers here. ?

9 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

First up this is in no way a competition, its just a anti-competitive practice to try and force their way into a market and it wont end well... Secondly, im not the only one who wants this cancer to stop.

im sorry is steam not competing with epic? are they both not in the same market?

8 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Nope:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-competitive_practices

Locking games into one store via bribes is pretty much does what i quoted.

i love how your own link proves you wrong.....

• Exclusive dealing, where a retailer or wholesaler is obliged by contract to only purchase from the contracted supplier.

we are customers not retailers or wholesalers

4 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Regardless, this isn’t competition. Not a healthy one at least. It’s more monopolistic behavior, if you ask me. Epic is already making their platform a hard-sell with the extremely lean featureset as of now alongside exclusivity, but with some announcing an exclusivity despite months of advertising their product as launching on other platforms, it leaves an even more sour taste in many mouths.

you cant be monopolistic with a tiny market share

2 hours ago, mr.squishy said:

I've been a huge fan of the Borderlands franchise ever since it was introduced to me through a steam sale. I was so excited when I heard we were actually going to get Borderlands 3, but the Epic Games store exclusivity is a killer for me. I won't be buying it on the Epic Games store launcher strictly due to the security problems and the ties Tencent has with the Chinese Communist party. This is unfortunate, but we shouldn't be supporting Epic for this. I'll be excited to play Borderlands 3 on it's real release date in April of 2020.

sorry but you site security as if steam is 100% safe other than a steam fanboys reddit post is there any real evidence that epic is insecure and leaking info to the Chinese?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

1 hour ago, ProfessionalOverclocker said:

So this is what I've understood from reading about this whole epic store deal on the internet.

Person: "This is terrible! This is just hurting the developers!"

Same Person: "Lets mass boycott all Gearbox/2K titles and mass negative review bomb borderlands titles!"

Really, who is hurting the developers here. ?

The publisher is hurting the developers by taking the exclusive deal, I doubt the developers really have any say with what store hosts the game. I think Steam does need competition but I don't like EGS because of the security issues, or the business practice of locking games to only their store instead of improving the platform, and it is lacking in features compared to other platforms

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

The publisher is hurting the developers by taking the exclusive deal, I doubt the developers really have any say with what store hosts the game. I think Steam does need competition but I don't like EGS because of the security issues, or the business practice of locking games to only their store instead of improving the platform, and it is lacking in features compared to other platforms

they are improvign the platform, those missing features are on the way, what security issues and as if steam is so secure

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

52 minutes ago, jaggysnake57 said:

Market share doesn't really matter in this case. 

Grabbing exclusivity and limiting choice is technically monopolistic behavior. It doesn't have to be done by a company with a dominant market share. Some smaller companies do it in order to quickly gain traction. It's something that I honestly would have expected Steam to do given their vast market share and typically serves as a tool to assert dominance over competitors and adds a significant entry barrier to upcoming competitors. 

It's shit, but in Epic's case, it does actually work. How well? Who knows. But one thing for sure is that the smaller players like GoG are at risk from this. Valve needs to start getting off their asses and actually do something because customers are going to feel more and more discontent as Epic Exclusivity is becoming as predictable and commonplace as getting wet when standing under the shower. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

so does this mean we can all come down now about the epic store. we thought it would sta there forever and now its not. honestly the timing will be perfect for a game of the year edition.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

7 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Market share doesn't really matter in this case. 

Grabbing exclusivity and limiting choice is technically monopolistic behavior. It doesn't have to be done by a company with a dominant market share. Some smaller companies do it in order to quickly gain traction. 

It's shit, but in Epic's case, it does actually work. How well? Who knows. 

your looking at it from a gamers point of view and i guess you could see it as monopolistic but from a publishers view they have choice. steam is the status quo and the only way to change that is to do something dramatic like exclusivity. people have seen the console exclusivity debacle and are now circle jerking to this epic crap without really thinking about it long term. its simply not the same as the console wars. 

my prediction, epic will continue to grab exclusives until steam drop there cut to 15%, at which point devs will want to launch on both platforms for maximum market penetration

giphy.gif

at that point deals will change to preorder exclusives and the like, people will still piss and moan because circle jerk but consumers will get the choice. in the mean time stop cutting your noses off to spite your faces. change will happen with or without you.

7 minutes ago, jaggysnake57 said:

Snip

Honestly, it's bigger than that. It looks a lot like a short term strategy made in order to gain market traction in as little time as possible. 

The revenue split is one tactic, but the cash infusion and Epic's guarantee of that is really what's driving a lot of people to the EGS. At the same time, Epic is using both the revenue split and the exclusives as a marketing tool to drive potential customers to the platform. 

Remember that a significant portion of the EGS userbase don't use Steam, and some have both but aren't frequent Steam users. It's fair to assume that a lot of these are Fortnite players as that's where the bulk of the userbase comes from. 

It is not consumer friendly and I personally won't use the EGS until Epic follows their word on toning down exclusivity and implementing all the features that it lacks. However, whether we like it or not, it is working to some degree. 

Though I doubt the EGS will suddenly receive an influx of Steam users from this even when the exclusivity deal is done. It takes a lot to rebuild a fragmented public image. 

On that note, there is one other difference between the typical console exclusive and EGS exclusives. Console exclusives tend to be developed by in-house studios or studios who have received capital infusion for development purposes. EGS exclusives are quite different in the sense that they're typically third party and the deals tend to come well after much of the game is developed, so the cash infusion doesn't really help core development, though it may help post-launch development. 

Those are all in theory however. Reality tends to be different. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, jaggysnake57 said:

they are improvign the platform, those missing features are on the way, what security issues and as if steam is so secure

Did Epic give any timing when improvements would come to EGS? My point is those features should've been there earlier, if Epic actually wants to compete with stores that have a larger share in the market, and IMO grabbing up games with exclusivity to their store wouldn't have been that necessary to grab market share if Epic put money into making a well featured platform instead of exclusivity to get sales on their store. The security issues are well known especially EGS taking Steam data when Epic had no reason to,not just "steam fanboys on reddit" as it was on news sites as well.

im sorry is steam not competing with epic? are they both not in the same market?

When no-one else can sell stuff just you that is called monopoly....

i love how your own link proves you wrong.....

Are we forced to buy the game from epic or not? OFC you are wrong again.

Yes you can when a given merch is only sold by you....

steam is 100% safe

Seeing how EGS scanned your computer without any kind of consent it is definitely safer.

I'm going to uninstall the Epic Games launcher because I don't want to support Epic when they are doing exclusivity deals. I don't use it anyway, sure I'm interested in Metro but will buy it when it gets released on Steam instead :) 

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

So it's actually out in 2020 for me? Okay so.

I'll have it along with all the other Borderlands games together, so my friends and, I can play together with SteamPlay.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Lol imagine working for Epic Games, securing an exclusive deal to have Borderlands 3 only on your store for the first 6 months only for people to just wait half a year to then buy it on steam xD

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

5 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

what security issues

I don't know, maybe the fact that EGS didn't (or maybe still doesn't, really can't confirm nor do I want to) send verification e-mails to people. People getting e-mails that their EGS account has been changed despite them never making said account. Meaning someone else used their address to create an account. Just to name one.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

borderlands under steam

image.png.acd475549f9d90303b3d9ae83a7ef500.png

What would Borderlands look like under EGS

Immagine.png.2b5b697d8e4e2e9c89e4469177ed9af4.png

There's my issue with EGS

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

16 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Seems like people still can't grasp that locking the content on one platform is not CoMpeTiTioN. They aren't competing with anyone except themselves. You want competition? Put it on as many platforms as possible and let people decide? It's probably gonna be Steam 90%+? Then let it be so, it's gonna be their fault when Valve decides to do something stupid and everyone will be *insert shocked Pikachu face here*.

I am in favor of Valve logic from 2013:

yeh,but the problem is they are not giving you choices look what happens with metros latest release 

Borderlands 3 will be exclusively on the Epic store for the first 6 months

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

20 minutes ago, nnfancois said:

yeh,but the problem is they are not giving you choices look what happens with metros latest release 

You have a clear choice. Don't buy on EGS, wait for it to come on Steam. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

You have a clear choice. Don't buy on EGS, wait for it to come on Steam. 

Its not as bad as Metro Exodus which was supposed to release on Steam, but you still really don't have a choice.

19 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Its not as bad as Metro Exodus which was supposed to release on Steam, but you still really don't have a choice.

As I said, no one is forcing you to buy it on EGS, if you can survive without playing wait for a Steam release. If you must buy it, buy it on EGS. Just to be clear, there is nothing wrong with deciding to buy on EGS, which is what people here do not understand. Buy it on any platform that you want but then be aware that by buying the game from said platform you actually support the practice so then don't be shocked if it becomes even a more common practice. And if you buy from EGS, I really do hope you enjoy the game. There is always a choice. 

9 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

You have a choice. To say "screw you" to Metro devs and to Epic and vote with the wallet like people endlessly talk but very few actually do it apparently. Am I really the only one with solid principals? Screw me now and you lost me forever. I'm not gonna wait like some loser for them to release the damn thing somewhere else. I don't need games that much to beg them to let me play it lmao. Screw such devs and/or publishers.

Well i was going to wait for the GOTY edition anyway so by then it's a non-issue for me.

I also expect this to cause a lot of people to set sail, arrrr.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 hours ago, PacketMan said:

they are not able to compete if they don't have the same games

why not?

they are not in the same market if they don't sell the same games

The market is video games. They both sell video games.
Does McDonalds and Burger King not compete since they don't sell the same things?

Competition is when you are in the same league, with the same conditions

COMPLETELY false. Like, not even remotely true what-so-ever. If steam and epic only had exclusive games, and then steam vanished one day, do you think Epic would get more sales? They would.