Windows EdgeBook - Microsoft rumored to challenge Chromebooks with an extremely lite version of Windows

rcmaehl
4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

There's also the fact that for a long time, just about anyone could edit Wikipedia entries...

AFAIK they are reviewed.

Nevermind that the last study I saw on the subject found them to be about 3 errors per page, compared with Encyclopedia Brittanica's 2.

Also, I'd prefer my sources more up to date. Live editing enables that. The longer the academic profession refuses to accept Wikipedia as a credible source of knowledge, the more harm is done overall. They need to dive in with both hands and do the editing and moderation themselves.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

AFAIK they are reviewed.

That only started a few years ago.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

40 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

AFAIK they are reviewed.

Nevermind that the last study I saw on the subject found them to be about 3 errors per page, compared with Encyclopedia Brittanica's 2.

Also, I'd prefer my sources more up to date. Live editing enables that. The longer the academic profession refuses to accept Wikipedia as a credible source of knowledge, the more harm is done overall. They need to dive in with both hands and do the editing and moderation themselves.

The problem I have with Wikipedia is that social narrative seems to get a pass because no one likes it when the truth is inconvenient.

For example the entry regarding al gores book "an inconvenient truth"  Has 1273 words under the heading "scientific basis" and promotes all the good bits, however under the heading critical response (which given it is supposed to represent professional analysis should be under the same heading as scientific basis because nothing in it is actually critical), it only had 198 words and some of them were in the tone of "Only a few other reviewers were also skeptical of Gore's intent" and that some criticizing Al for not going far enough"means the section labeled critical response is  actually not representing any of the scientists who were scientifically critical of it.

I do actually believe climate change is important and must be dealt with, but as someone who watches for agendas in just about everything that happens and promotes reality and truth, this is my goto example of how a popular narrative effects sources of information that are supposed to be impartial and unbiased.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 3/5/2019 at 12:02 PM, mrchow19910319 said:

isnt chrome OS just linux with a better frontend skin on it? 

as i understand it yes, but there is also custom stuff in it so that it can run android apps etc. 

On 3/5/2019 at 12:04 PM, mrchow19910319 said:

apple's recent version of macOS straight up deleted the "linux bootcamp" function.

afaik there never was a "linux bootcamp" option. if i want to run Linux on my MacBook Pro i have to boot the installer using the normal EFI boot option in the bootloader of the Mac. it has nothing to do with bootcamp. 

She/Her

On 3/4/2019 at 1:04 PM, poochyena said:

Are chromebooks even still much of a thing? Why not just get a tablet?

chrome books are taking over schools like apple did in the 80s. the college I work for got 25 for the Adult Education program. (no one bothered to check with us in the IT department, we where not set up to administer those, there is a whole freaking google admin acount you have to get..)

As long as Microsoft makes sure that the quality of updates for this new device is up to snuff, we should be fine. Hopefully, the OS won't be too restrictive. Imagine CompTIA A+ cert holders having to learn how to manage and troubleshoot it without the proper tools (Windows RT/10s nightmares intensify) :| That being said, this is sadly not the device for me, since I like using Business/Enterprise and Workstation hardware (in opposed to mobile/consumer hardware) :( 

20 hours ago, Drak3 said:

That only started a few years ago.

My use of them in scholastic purposes extends beyond that. Never had a "teacher" comment on any source other than the inclusion of Wikipedia itself.

As far as I am concerned, this is 100% bias as a result. Never have I had a teacher factually find a fault with my sources, other than the use of "www.wikipedia.com" which is not, in my mind, a valid fault. It's more "a blank person said this" and less "2+2 does not equal 3".

19 hours ago, mr moose said:

The problem I have with Wikipedia is that social narrative seems to get a pass because no one likes it when the truth is inconvenient.

For example the entry regarding al gores book "an inconvenient truth"  Has 1273 words under the heading "scientific basis" and promotes all the good bits, however under the heading critical response (which given it is supposed to represent professional analysis should be under the same heading as scientific basis because nothing in it is actually critical), it only had 198 words and some of them were in the tone of "Only a few other reviewers were also skeptical of Gore's intent" and that some criticizing Al for not going far enough"means the section labeled critical response is  actually not representing any of the scientists who were scientifically critical of it.

I do actually believe climate change is important and must be dealt with, but as someone who watches for agendas in just about everything that happens and promotes reality and truth, this is my goto example of how a popular narrative effects sources of information that are supposed to be impartial and unbiased.

I can think of a hell of a lot more recent and relevant examples of complete and utter bias in popular media. I won't delve into those because of the scope of this thread.

I too share your concerns. The sad part is the group of people who push capitalism could be taking extreme advantage of the push towards green tech, but aren't.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Anytime Microsoft tries anything new with Windows it fails. It's a byproduct of their success. If you essentially hold a monopoly on the OS installed on near every computer out there, anytime you try to shake things up it explodes in your face. 

People don't like change and don't like to try new things. 

Also why would anyone willingly buy a less capable machine when you could just like, not? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Can't wait to see how badly microsoft is going to fail. 

Oh, does anyone know Microsoft edge sucks? It's only purpose is to download and install chrome. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, wasab said:

Oh, does anyone know Microsoft edge sucks? It's only purpose is to download and install chrome. 

Old joke is so old my great grandfather stopped laughing at it. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

28 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Old joke is so old my great grandfather stopped laughing at it. 

edge is new. Your gramps is thinking about internet explorer. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

edge is new. Your gramps is thinking about internet explorer. 

Nope that joke is so old it has circled space time and gramps got tired of it the first time round.