Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
James

Why did you buy an Android phone?

I'm just going to add to the chorus of people saying they went with Android because it's cheap.

Currently using the £230 Honor Play. To get such a complete package of a phone for such a low price is something you will not find with iPhones.

I do also happen to prefer the Operating System due to its customisability, the headphone jack is nice, expandable storage etc... But let's say in some alternate universe where Apple phones were the cheap option and Android phones were expensive I would probably go with Apple, so for me, the main reason is the price

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

2 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

That machine has a Celeron, I think?

celeron, because that is what is cheap enough. 

2 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

But it's *butter smooth*, even more than the surface with its nvme and core i5 (even if it's just a dual core). Still receiving updates, and if it had the Linux integration, app support and wasn't broken and touchpadless, it would've been excellent.

in other words. get linux instead of Chromebooks.....

• Cheaper.
  • OS isn't as locked down as the competition.
  • Greater choice amongst phones. If I don't like one current Android device I can buy another meaning I don't have to change my whole platform.
  • Repairs by third parties aren't blocked.
  • I don't support anti-competitive/consumer companies.
  • Less hardware faults.
  • No notch.
  • Headphone jack.
  • Supports additional storage/Micro SD.
  • Can charge and have headphones plugged in at the same time.
  • USB type C instead of Lightning.
  • No dongles.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

40 minutes ago, Carclis said:
  • Cheaper.
  • OS isn't as locked down as the competition.
  • Greater choice amongst phones. If I don't like one current Android device I can buy another meaning I don't have to change my whole platform.
  • Repairs by third parties aren't blocked.
  • I don't support anti-competitive/consumer companies.
  • Less hardware faults.
  • No notch.
  • Headphone jack.
  • Supports additional storage/Micro SD.
  • Can charge and have headphones plugged in at the same time.
  • USB type C instead of Lightning.
  • No dongles.

Google literally got hit with multiple penalties for anti-competitive behavior with Android licensing and search.

Just now, Commodus said:

Google literally got hit with multiple penalties for anti-competitive behavior with Android licensing and search.

Well I was specifically referring to stuff such as parts being confiscated when people are trying to make repairs, the constant denial of hardware faults, removal of features to try and force users to purchase accessories and also them blaming their users for issues with the product. That said, I was not aware of that, but I would still rather give Google a small cut of the money as opposed to all of it as would be the case if I had purchased Apple.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

2 minutes ago, Carclis said:

Well I was specifically referring to stuff such as parts being confiscated when people are trying to make repairs, the constant denial of hardware faults, removal of features to try and force users to purchase accessories and also them blaming their users for issues with the product. That said, I was not aware of that, but I would still rather give Google a small cut of the money as opposed to all of it as would be the case if I had purchased Apple.

Fair enough.  If you're curious, here's the EU antitrust fine over Android.  I actually don't think Apple pulled the headphone jack to make people buy AirPods (you get Lightning earphones in the box, and a $9 adapter will do the trick), but it's certainly understandable if you'd rather not be pushed to make that choice.

6 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Fair enough.  If you're curious, here's the EU antitrust fine over Android.

I'm seeing a lot of similarities between what Google does and how default search and browsing apps work on the Windows platform.

7 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I actually don't think Apple pulled the headphone jack to make people buy AirPods (you get Lightning earphones in the box, and a $9 adapter will do the trick), but it's certainly understandable if you'd rather not be pushed to make that choice.

Most people already have audio gear that they invested in and/or are already happy with so having to use a dongle to support it is already absurd (extra bulk on a mobile device) and the fact that such a dongle isn't included in the box for a $1000 device is fucking insulting to be completely honest. Being able to charge the device and use the headphone jack is also an absolute necessity for me (not sure about others) so that would certainly have pushed me to purchase the Airpods. In any case I'm not a fan of the wireless approach either because that's just another thing that has to be charged and conveniently for Apple, they're easy to misplace.

The primary reason I have an android phone is for the removable battery, sd card slot, headphone jack, and ease of repair (LG V20). Secondary reason is a dislike of Apple's ecosystem. I personally could care less about water proof and IPxx ratings. I've had a cell phone before android and iphone existed and have yet to damage my phone with water. I've had my fair share of exposure to rain as well, no issues.

There's obviously a market for IP rated devices as that seems to have completely taken over, but I think the trade off of sealed devices without easily replaceable batteries is higher than most people realize. The #1 complaint I hear from people with a high end phone after a year or so is that the battery just doesn't last like it used to. This in turn can lead to issues like the phone not performing as great a year or so down the line. Case in point with the Apple battery throttling "scandal". The best thing that then happens is the user gets the urge to "upgrade" their device considerably earlier than they might have with a non-degraded battery. I am not saying this happens to all new devices, but it does seem fairly commonly reported. The counter to this might be that you can actually still replace batteries in newer phones; however, this often voids the IP seal and eliminates the whole point of buying a phone with that rating in the first place. It's also a much more involved process that typically requires a heat gun or hair dryer with non-user-friendly adhesives. Also, phones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 and S5 were IP67 rated and had removable batteries. With new flagships coming out annually, I think from a business perspective, it didn't make much sense anymore for manufacturers like LG and Samsung to promote long term usage of their own products. Just encourage customers to buy another.

Another aspect for me is local storage. With a phone like the LG V20, listening to high quality audio files is a fairly good experience especially paired with something like PowerAmp. I'd rather store my music, and anything else locally than have to depend on cloud storage. High quality photos and video can also eat up storage quickly. The option for SD card expansion makes this a non-issue.

It's fairly well known that bluetooth audio devices have yet to catch up to their wired counterparts as far as audio quality is concerned. I don't consider myself an audio snob by any means, but I can definitely tell the difference between a "high end" bluetooth headphone, and a wired headphone at the same price point. I'm all for choice, keep the headphone jack, and bluetooth. Let the user decide. Don't force them to use some adapter or dongle when there's no substantial evidence that's been provided to support the removal of the headphone jack.

Lastly, ease of repair goes a long way to a lasting device, but as I pointed out with the battery, this also could translate to less sales of new devices. Why make a phone easily repairable by the customer when you might encourage another sale of your latest device? The LG V20 and G5 for that matter are great examples of an easily user-repairable phone. Just a few screws and you can access every main component of the device. I think the LMG experience with the iMac Pro and Louis Rossman's ongoing relationship with Apple highlight Apple's lack of repair options quite well.

Had a Windows phone when I worked for TMobile, won an iPhone in an online contest, now using an Android phone because it was cheap at $50. I only use it for texts, phone calls and Instagram. I don't use it to catch the Pokemans or keep up with family news on the Facething while Twittering on the toilet.

Got a computer problem? Update the BIOS! 😂

Why?

I didn't buy mine but I probably would have because -

Cheaper

Lots of competition

Hardware of each competitor gets updated even less than every 6 months (also a con)

Easily replaceable

Most still have the 3.5mm Audio Jack

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

because i hated the fact you couldn't share any files with Bluetooth from an apple product, at the time i just didn't want to buy a product i can't share files with friends, everyone in India went to Nokia/Sony Ericsson/Samsung instead, and when android came around those companies adopted those features, and nokia was left to dust as it was an odd man out, now apps that people use like whatsapp got support on android and not Symbian OS of nokia, and everyone in India was a samsung/sony android users. if apple had let users interact with each others in the 2005-8, that would have been a different story. 

now that you use android, and know what disadvantageous and anti consumer apple is, i don't think people of India would ever switch to apple, also there's a perception only rich people buy it here, most of the film directors here use it as a status symbol. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Intel i7 4790K (4.0 GHz) | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1866 2x8GB | Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II OC | Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB | Corsair RM 850W | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM | Logitech® Wireless Combo MK330 | Cooler Master HAF XM | Dell S2240L 60Hz 21.5 IPS | 

PCPartPicker 

5 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

you couldn't share any files with Bluetooth from an apple product,

I could do that on my nokia e65 10+years ago~~ even then my friends used iphone 3s regreted getting one seeing a sliding non smart phone

these are "advance features" which apple disabled for everyone, you just arent allowed to use a device that way lol 

so limited functions and resolution, no wonder why the os is smooth

Pretty simple for me...

• iOS just isn't great for me, many things just seem to be in the wrong place, or you can't do things that I might want to do easily or in some cases at all. I dislike the look of it. This is probably more because I don't have to use it often and usually only have to do it when someone has broken something on their phone or iPad at work and can't figure out how to fix a phone on their own, despite them having owned iPhones for god knows how long.
  • I'm generally not a fan of the way the actual phones look.

Customisability and the freedom (mostly) to do what we want with the devices we paid for. 
iOS seemed too, "either it's our way or the highway", to me. Android - I can do what I want. I love iOS, but I would never use it day to day for my main phone.

General Tech I own/Use

Spoiler

Main PC: Intel Core i7 6800K, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 2400MHz, Palit Dual GTX 1070, ~490GB SSD Space, 12TB Hard Drive Space, Corsair HX750W, Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Phanteks Enthoo Pro, Slimline Blu-ray Drive
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar)

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 9 - 128GB EU (Exynos 9810)
Backup Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7 - 32GB, Silver (Cracked Back)

#1 Price-
Picked up a Moto G6 this month to switch to Google Fi for $200 and it came with $100 credit toward my plan. (had to stop giving verizon all my $$)
It is a pretty good phone for the $$ and has expandable storage at least.
#2 I hate apple and there are limited choices.

-User interface (ios is disgusting)

-file management

-customization without needing to jailbreak/root

-better app support and easier to sideload apps that arent on the appstore

-i dont need to have it bound to software on my computer to make use of all the features.

-affordability (this used to be a point for me, but i dont think i say it now that i have my Hydrogen..)

-headphone jack (some of us just arent ready to move to bluetooth for everything in our life)

-repairability.

i have tried to give apple a fair shot when looking for new phones in the past, but the only thing theyve ever had over android was battery life and a better camera. neither of which was enough to make me switch when compared to everything i'd be giving up

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

having a phone i can use without problems (which my little brother and mother do have with iphones)

paying the price of a iphone 7 for a phone that graphicly outperforms a iphone x (3dmark)
having a fingerprint sensor

android being soperiour to me

oled over "liquid retina"

USB C

choise

PSU Tier List//Motherboard VRM list//Graphics card (cooling) tier list//Build Guide Megathread//Motherboard Tier List//Linux Guide//Build logs//Before troubleshoot//Mark Solved//Community standards

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k  @4.5 ghz  GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming   RAM: 8+8 3360 mhz DDR4 Trident Z   MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC   HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung ECOGREEN   SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB   Soundcard: built in   Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB   Screen: Salora 40LED1500

Secondary PC: Cedar mill

Spoiler

CPU: i3-2130   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 4+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3    MOBO: HP H series   HDD: 320 GB WD Black 7200 RPM   PSU: HP 250 watt   Soundcard: built in   Case: Sunbeam Quarterback   Screen: IIyama Prolite T2240MTS, Samsung SyncMaster710N

Server: CookieVault

Spoiler

CPU: core2dual E8400   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 2+1+1+1 gb 1333 mhz ddr3   MOBO: HP Q series   HDD: 4x 1tb 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint Ecogreen   Soundcard: built in   Case: Compaq 6000 pro mt   Screen: Samsung SyncMaster710n

Laptop: Acer TravelMate 8573t

Spoiler

CPU: I3-2330M   GPU: Intel HD graphics   RAM: 8+2 GB 1333 mhz DDR3   MOBO: Acer   SSD: 250 gb mx500 sata   Soundcard: built in   Case: Acer TravelMate 8573t   Screen: TN 768p

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 slim glacier white 500 gb, PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 gb, Xbox, 3 DS lites, DSI XL, Gameboy Advanced Color, PS Vita v2, Wii, PS3 500 gb

On 10/19/2018 at 3:48 PM, Sauron said:

I don't like wasting money.

There's nothing I need that an expensive phone can offer, and it just so happens all iPhones are expensive.

Aside from that, I don't like being limited in my customization, and Android is better than iOS in this respect.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Way cheaper, i can open downloaded stuff from the internet, way more customization and i like the more friendly eco system

Do i Recommend Ryzen? Yes. All of the Yes.

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

ASUS Gaming TUF B450 Micro-ATX

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

GTX 1070 Founders Edition

Corsair Crystal 280X

500Gb SanDisk Sata SSD, 1Tb 7200RPM Hdd

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

I bought the Xiaomi Pocophone F1 to my girlfriend and boy those 300$ cant be beaten by anything, only downside its the plastic chasis but well thats the reason I'm using a huawei p9 , because I droped like 10 times or more and it stands like a champ, I cant complain about people buying a 1k iphone because I have like 1k(maybe 1,5) on peripherials for my pc(headphones , dac,amp, mic, mechkb, mouse with top sensor, 165hz 2k gsync screen....) So like allways its a matter of priorities, people say its wasting money, well some people wants a 1k iphone, others 1k handbag, others maybe shoes, others like a 40-60k car, Me , Im driving a Toyota Yaris that cost me the same as my gaming setup, so just advice people that they dont need to have a 1k phone if they didnt tried 400$-600$ ones, same as telling people to dont buy a 2080ti with a 1080p 60hz monitor, or  to buy a mustang to drive 500km each day.

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

Because my Lumia 950 is getting the axe for support by December

My faves:

File Management

Cheaper price (Usually buying after the new stuff gets released, the previous product can be had for much lower prices)

I run a OnePlus 6t after my Galacxy S7 died, after that phone I'll stay away from Samsung.

As a sysadmin:

Basic Tools, WiFi analyzer, I can FTP, RDP, etc.

As a student:

Fully customizable interface, I can have my google calendar on my home screen, see my grades and assignments when I swipe to the left.

Cheap, $550 flagship.

Other Pros:

Google integration is convenient.

1080p Screen (something even an iphone 8 doesn't have)

Camera is better than I need it to be, although not stunning.

Cons:

Apple is seemingly much more secure.

Although more apps are "free" you're paying with your personal data and/or advertisements.

Android is more about the ability to choose, The Samsung fanboys are just as bad as the Apple ones. If you picked up a note 9 because it's currently the best phone on the market and has the best camera than awesome. If you picked one up because you wanted to upgrade your note 8 you're abandoning the best part of android.

If I could install IOS on my OnePlus, I would.

Never dismiss a possible solution because of a respected brand.

IT Admin perusing a bachelor's in Computer Engineering.

Because I can side load apps (mainly emulators), have expandable storage and access to the file system.

Spoiler

The Roaring Beast CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

Cheaper and I could run GBA emulators.

DZ77SL-50K LGA 1155 Motherboard  650W Thermaltake PSU  Intel i5 3450 CPU  16GB DDR3 RAM  Sapphire Nitro RX 460 (4GB) GPU   500GB Hitachi HDD + 240GB Sandisk G25 SSD   Antec VSK 4000E Mid Tower Case (home-made glass window)  CRYORIG M9i Mini CPU Cooler + Kingwin CF-012LBW Intake + default outtake fan

4 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Cheaper and I could run GBA emulators.

iOS can run emulators.

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz -- Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI-CF -- Team Group 16 GB DDR4 2400 (16-16-16-39) -- Gigabyte GTX 1070 -- NZXT S340 -- Windows 10 64-Bit