I find the console wars confusing.

I don't see the point in looking down on console gamers, it does not benefit you or them to do so. I also think, that for a lot of people, a console is their only choice, esp for younger kids, ie, 10-14. I think that most people own a console at some point before they own a gaming rig, and I believe that consoles area great way to get started with games. Also back to what FireLighter said about being able to load windows or other pc OS on a console. That my friend would be totally stupid, as just like with an iPhone, it has worse hardware then many Android phones, but is able to run the same apps. It is the same with a console. The original xbox one would die running windows, those things do not have nearly enough RAM, and gaming rigs, often have much higher specs then consoles. The main reason why a console can run a game at playable fps is mainly due to amazing optimization, just like with an iPhone. (just to clarify, I don't favor apple in any way shape or form) 

I do personally think that PCs are way better then consoles, since they can play almost all of the games that most consoles can, and are generally much better at backwards compatibility. I have personally owned an Xbox One, 360, 3DS XL, and DS lite. That being said, it is up to people to chose the inferior device, just like when people buy an iPhone, there is no reason to ruin the fun they are having with their new device.

19 hours ago, Master Dorphath said:

That my friend would be totally stupid, as just like with an iPhone, it has worse hardware then many Android phones, but is able to run the same apps.

I'd argue The Apple A-series SoC is leagues better than what any Android phone manufacturer has access to, including Samsung who tends to perform better than Qualcomm. I did a status update on this to figure out why Apple's A series scores high on Geekbench as I couldn't really claim Primate Labs being biased towards macOS/iOS. GeekBench 4 scores are similar between macOS and Windows on similar classes of hardware

It is the same with a console. The original xbox one would die running windows, those things do not have nearly enough RAM, and gaming rigs, often have much higher specs then consoles. The main reason why a console can run a game at playable fps is mainly due to amazing optimization, just like with an iPhone. (just to clarify, I don't favor apple in any way shape or form) 

Windows 10 runs on tablets more or less fine. It's not going to be blazing fast, but I had a Windows 10 tablet two years ago and it was perfectly serviceable for browsing the internet and watching YouTube. And while it couldn't run Half-Life 2 better than the rig I used to play it at launch, it still could play lower requirement games just fine. And you can still find Windows 10 tablets with even worse specs than gaming consoles.

And Windows doesn't eat up an appreciable amount of resources that it affects performance. At least on higher end machines. I'd argue unless you're running destitute level hardware, it's still not eating up an appreciable amount of resources.

20 hours ago, Master Dorphath said:

The original xbox one would die running windows,

OS version - 10.0.17763.3066 (rs5_release_xbox_dev_1811.181206-1740)

Any Questions???

Because the XBox One already kinda somewhat run a derivate of Windows.

And I do that too on a Vostro 1500 with only 4GiB RAM...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 1/3/2019 at 8:02 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

To start off I want to say that I have a PC and I game on it. I have never owned a console, but I have played on them.

I enjoy using PCs to game more because of the graphics and I like using keyboard more than controllers as well as I like that you can do other things as well on a PC.

However, I don't understand people who look down on console gamers. It seems that a console is more seamless as well and because of the ways controllers work it is easier to connect them to TVs and have a shared experience. I understand that PCs can do all of this but it takes much more effort and expertise than on a console. I don't really understand the criticism. This is their money they are spending, not yours and they enjoy the experience, so what is the problem?

I understand that a lot of this is fueled by memes but I do know some people who are serious about this.

Does anyone agree with me?

Sorry if this is out of place.

Bottom line those who take it genuinely serious are literally arguing over faceless Corp X against faceless Corp Y for piece of silicon and plastic Z.  I'll let that sink in for you.

The biggest dig against consoles I see now in days with maybe the sole exception now being Nintendo is that consoles are trying to be more like PCs with complex OS's, up-gradable Hard Drives and so on.  They are losing the convenience and plug n play draw to them and if they do get in a battle with PCs they will lose. 

I think there is this weird paranoia or almost boogeyman of if consoles get too popular PCs will go extinct for games.  There is some legitimate bitterness since ports from consoles to PCs tend to be horribly optimized and run like crap on much better hardware (Arkham Knight anyone?)

On 1/6/2019 at 8:03 PM, Xplo1t said:

I never understood the mentality of taking sides with consumer packaged goods.   When it comes to gaming, I'm in it for the games.  Some of the best  games and experiences have happened with consoles and I'm glad I didn't have to pick a side.

Exactly, it's all about the games. I've had great experiences on both my PC and Wii U (and all the previous Nintendo consoles), and played some god awful games too. Most of us do have to pick a side due to space and money constraints, but if someone else picks a different side why the hell does it matter?

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:53 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

I'd argue The Apple A-series SoC is leagues better than what any Android phone manufacturer has access to, including Samsung who tends to perform better than Qualcomm. I did a status update on this to figure out why Apple's A series scores high on Geekbench as I couldn't really claim Primate Labs being biased towards macOS/iOS. GeekBench 4 scores are similar between macOS and Windows on similar classes of hardware

Windows 10 runs on tablets more or less fine. It's not going to be blazing fast, but I had a Windows 10 tablet two years ago and it was perfectly serviceable for browsing the internet and watching YouTube. And while it couldn't run Half-Life 2 better than the rig I used to play it at launch, it still could play lower requirement games just fine. And you can still find Windows 10 tablets with even worse specs than gaming consoles.

And Windows doesn't eat up an appreciable amount of resources that it affects performance. At least on higher end machines. I'd argue unless you're running destitute level hardware, it's still not eating up an appreciable amount of resources.

If It was a windows tablet, then it was probably running windows 8, the cut down version, that was designed for the surface RT. If it was running windows 10, then it was probably windows 10 s, which is essentially chrome os in a sense. Also, there are some very high end windows tablets out there.

I was just saying that an xbox one would die running normal games, and with the current amounts of RAM, would not be very good for productivity.

25 minutes ago, Master Dorphath said:

If It was a windows tablet, then it was probably running windows 8, the cut down version, that was designed for the surface RT. If it was running windows 10, then it was probably windows 10 s, which is essentially chrome os in a sense. Also, there are some very high end windows tablets out there.

It was an Intel Atom SoC based tablet, specifically an ASUS Transformer T100. It ran the full blown version of Windows.

24 minutes ago, Master Dorphath said:

I was just saying that an xbox one would die running normal games, and with the current amounts of RAM, would not be very good for productivity.

What's "normal games?" Last I checked it ran the same games you can find on the PC too.

And productivity isn't just content creation. Office apps are considered productivity and you can easily run those on 8GB of RAM with an iGPU

Yes I know that, you don't even need 8gb of RAM. But what I was saying, was that the original xbox one, as far as I know, has 4gb of RAM or less. I had 4gb of RAM in my computer until 2 months ago, and I know what an extreme pain it is to have that amount. It is only due to optimization that the xbox one can run the games that it can. And back to what you were saying about Apple SoCs being better. Well, they are not, at least on the phone side, Snap Dragon 855s are much better then iPhone Xs chips, I don't know the exact name. I am not saying however, that android phones are a lot better at running apps, like I said before, due to heavy optimization, many iPhone apps run nice and fast.

54 minutes ago, Master Dorphath said:

Yes I know that, you don't even need 8gb of RAM. But what I was saying, was that the original xbox one, as far as I know, has 4gb of RAM or less.

The Xbox One always had at least 8GB of RAM (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_One#Hardware_comparison)

Im almost 30 sure it it may have mattered 15 years ago when it I was xbox vs ps2 (and it didnt) but I really dont care.

Ive bought playstations and hey great consoles but I am a xbox/nintendo person those are were my memories lie and thats were Ill continue to play.

on a random note I FINALLY  got gears of war ultimate and dang why have I never played that series ?

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

On 1/4/2019 at 9:10 AM, Slottr said:

OP, its because people like to take sides, have stereotypes and stay defensive to their own actions. Same thing applies to all decisions where there's a small amount of options for a lot of people. Eg. Politics

To put it another way, people will always want to try and convince themselves that the decision/platform they are invested in was the correct one. When you've spent thousands of dollars on a platform and have a collection of content that can only be played on that platform? You will inevitably keep telling yourself that the platform you picked was the right one. And the longer you stay with that platform the more you have to loose by swapping. It's the same thing with anything where there are multiple options and picking one means not picking the other.

Not unlike how I'm knee deep in the Sonos ecosystem. When I'm looking at reviews of other "multi-room audio" solutions all I see are the things they don't do. Purely because for me there's a much higher bar those devices have to clear, buying into something that doesn't play nice with the ~$2000AU of Sonos gear I have would be stupid. Equally when I see a review of Sonos gear I see criticisms as either the reviewer not knowing something or a valid criticism I've had to learn to live with. Without me knowing I ignore the negatives of the thing I have and notice immediately the negatives of the alternatives.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

There are always people who like to support their local soccer club, go out drinking with there mates when its league time, end up fighting because, well they have been treated like shit all of their lives and are kept ignorant about this fact. Deep down below their subconsious knows what is the real truth but years of mental abuse and being looked down upon creates this kind of fanatical behaviour, couple this behaviour to children during there foundation phase and voila.. you have a cesspool from which only the ones with proper house education will have a good chance to succeed in a healthy manner..

Anyway i always look at it like this, 

Nintendo, family casual 
Playstation Teenagers 
Xbox adults that don't want to grow up 
pc elderly that never know how to be a kid 

I have a pc and just bought a used xbox one i missed being able to sit at my couch an game or watch movies.

Sure pc has better graphics but nothing beats sitting on a coach playing games. Its also has been the one thing Ivee felt like doing as im having medic issues right now ( im fine btw)

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

22 hours ago, elderago said:

I have a pc and just bought a used xbox one i missed being able to sit at my couch an game or watch movies.

Condolences...

The Consoles live with the games you can play with them. And there isn't really much on the XBox these days...

Everything that was exclusive like Quantum Break is even on Steam...

On 1/16/2019 at 1:11 PM, Stefan Payne said:

Condolences...

The Consoles live with the games you can play with them. And there isn't really much on the XBox these days...

Everything that was exclusive like Quantum Break is even on Steam...

Eh, again I have a decent pc, I mostly bought the one for 360 compatibility thought there are sone games I want on it that I have on pc like pillers of eternity. I actually kinda prefer sitting on my couch and playing wasteland 2

1 hour ago, elderago said:

Eh, again I have a decent pc,

Yeah, wich is the Problem...

As you already have access to like 99% of the games on the XBox One.

The only thing left is the Master Chief Collection and only Halo 3 and 4.

Because there was a Halo and Halo 2 Version for PC at the time, according to Wikipedia...

I mostly bought the one for 360 compatibility

I hope you have a 360 as well.

Because you can't buy games from the One with Prepaid cards.

You need payment options in the Account if you want to get them digitally...

Because that's how it is:

DSC_5036s.jpg.a4ba3ff9a3d2ee1a235bf0760520a97e.jpg

That's when I tried to buy one of the DLC for Blue Dragon on my XBox One...

Ended up firing up my 360 just to freakin buy that thing...

thought there are sone games I want on it that I have on pc like pillers of eternity. I actually kinda prefer sitting on my couch and playing wasteland 2

Problem is that its also available "on the other side" and there you could have gotten access to all the amazing games of 2018 including the Game of the Year.

And have you tried playing it with Controller on PC??

Its not like I don't have the XBox, its just that there is nothing on it!
Everything there is either on the 360 and doesn't even look better if it isn't "X - Optimized".

So if you don't even have the one X, it doesn't even look better, its the same game. With the same optics.

And to buy you need payment options, the XBox Gift Cards don't work to buy 360 games on the X, see above...

As an XBox One X Owner, wo also has PS4 PRO, WiiU, Switch, PS3 and also got a 3DS this month, I'm really not a fan of the plattform as it does not really increase the amount of Games that I could play.

Because that is the most important thing!

If the Hardware of the console is total crap but it has an awesome concept, the disadvantages of the Hardware can be overlooked. Best Example is the Original Wii. The WiiU sadly failed but the concept was nontheless very interesting.

Sorry to be so blunt but that's my experience as a person who grew up with consoles...

And always knew "the other side" and either owned it or had access to it.

So for me the Console is just a box to play games. And the games the important thing (OK, you can argue about the innovation of the Gamepad as well)...

1 hour ago, elderago said:

Eh, again I have a decent pc, I mostly bought the one for 360 compatibility thought there are sone games I want on it that I have on pc like pillers of eternity. I actually kinda prefer sitting on my couch and playing wasteland 2

I like that I can play some games like Gears and Forza on downstairs on my PC then go upstairs to my living TV and play my same file on the Xbox One.  So far I'm loving the Xbox Play Anywhere idea.  

Crackdown 3 will out in a month, the wife will likely be playing that on the console on the TV and I'll be coop'ing it with her on my PC.

Backwards compatibility on PC can be a wash or a project to make it run. I've found issues like:

• Game uses libraries that's no longer used, compatible, or worse, available with later versions of your OS of flavor
    • I'm sure it's been fixed at some point, but an example would be Fallout 3's reliance on DirectAudio, which was deprecated from Vista on.
    • I have an old strategy game I play that have video files using a codec that's been long out of use, so those don't work when I play the game.
  • One may technically be able to run an older OS on modern hardware, technically. But it won't work well because older OSes not knowing what to do with your newer hardware.
  • Certain games being finicky about an aspect of hardware, like how the speed in many early DOS games were reliant on clock speed.
    • I get that DOSBox is a thing
  • I've found the Windows 9x era of software hardest to run:
    • This was still time when developers basically had free reign over the system and could do almost anything they wanted. Modern versions of Windows don't really like that, so games that tried to be clever could fail in spectacular ways
    • VirtualBox doesn't support it (it'll run, but it's not useful for running games unless you enjoy software rendering mode)
    • DOSBox's emulation is more like an early 90s computer that can be downgraded.

It's to a point where I'm surprised a game in its original released form will run on a modern system.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I live and was born in Poland in still comunist regime. Even though I was too young to actually rember it itself, I clearly remember the transformation to democracy. Why bring it up? Consoles were not a thing here and were still very rare up till late 90s or yearly 2000s (not counting Pegasus, which was a pretty common NES clone almost everyone had lying around at some point) and 99,9% of us, kids in the 80s and 90s had PCs, Amigas, ZX Spectrums, Commodores and such. Why? Imagine living in a place in which for many years there was no such thing as an Intellectual Property or Copyrights, where it was absolutely normal and fully legal to go to the most luxury shop at the time, pass the nice lady at the counter a floppy disk and legally buy a pirated copy of lemmings for Your Amiga 500. Consoles did not have a chance as their games were on cartridges that were hard or impossible to copy at the time, so distributors did not even bother with Megadrives or Snesses around here. My first legitimate console ever was a PS1 and still most vendors would sell them modded first hand. So, for most of my life I was a PC gamer thru and through. Still, I envy the western kids to be able to play all those amazing games back then. Be it Sega, Nintendo, Atari or whatever. When consoles came here with full force I noticed how hassle free and convenient they were. Also how streamlined their use was. Just pop a game in and boom - You're all set, no setting up soundblaster parameters and even selecting color depth. Today console gaming sucks - it's PCs in smaller packaging with the same patches, updates and installing. I honestly believe You can get a PC running in the ballpark of console quality and performance for basically the same amount of money, even if the parts are used. That is why I collect old consoles today, to catch up one the unknown side of gaming and learn to appreciate what these little boxes managed to do back then given the silly specs they had. I remember when the 200-something mhz PS2 rocked GTA3 while my 900mhz Duron struggled with it. Sure it's a different hardware architecture and no OS but that is still impressive to me.

Seems folks just like to have some excuse to look down on other folks or to make themselves feel better by making themselves think they made a better choice.

Personally, I enjoy both consoles and PC.  I like options when I decide to do some gaming or enjoy some media content.

On 1/17/2019 at 10:29 PM, Majinhoju said:

I like that I can play some games like Gears and Forza on downstairs on my PC then go upstairs to my living TV and play my same file on the Xbox One.  So far I'm loving the Xbox Play Anywhere idea.  

Crackdown 3 will out in a month, the wife will likely be playing that on the console on the TV and I'll be coop'ing it with her on my PC.

That feature is definitly a nice feature.  Planning to snag up Forza Horizon 4 play anywhere later because I can fire it up on either platform depending where I want to play the game.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Consoles definitely have their place. I game mainly on my PC but I have a Xbox One and a Switch. Xbox is basically just a media center now and I might play a platformer here and there when I want to relax on the couch, but I play my Switch daily and believe a PC + Switch is the perfect gaming combo.

Consoles are for the people that just want to game and have a streamline experience to do it. Turn it on, click your game, start playing it, and there's nothing wrong with that. Consoles also use to be be way easier to game together with friends. Have some buddies over, sit on the couch together, and enjoy some local co-op. But the PS4 and Xbox One have really gone away from that. That's why I love my Switch and all of Nintendo's exclusives, so many game to sit down and play with others. That's why I'll always say a PC + a Nintendo console is the best combo.

I'll always believe a PC is the best and most versatile way to game, but don't hate on someone because they like to game on a different platform. Let everyone have fun.