more women than men get motion sickness with Occulus Rift

source: http://www.mndaily.com/news/campus/2015/11/17/virtual-reality-needs-tweaks

The Oculus Rift, a motion-sensing headset that creates an interactive gaming world, could be transformed for use in other industries in the future. Still, a University of Minnesota study, to be published next March, reveals the technology causes motion sickness, especially in women.

University Kinesiology Professor Thomas Stoffregen has been studying the Rift and how it affects its users since the technology company Oculus VR released an early version of it in 2013.

Through his research, Stoffregen has found for every three men that get seasick, five women will. That side effect is consistent with the virtual reality technology — for every one man that gets sick using the Rift, four women do.

Stoffregen said developers have a responsibility to create a device compatible with either sex.

“When we get into interactive technologies in general and things like the Oculus Rift in particular, you can no longer say ‘Oh, too bad,’ because we made it,” Stoffregen said.

---

oh look, something "something" to fuel SJWs 

men are a different "animal" than women, who knew  :lol:

I was about to say "Why would the SJWs freak out about this?" but then I remembered they would do that for just about anything...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Very interesting... I wonder why that is?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Guys, i'm all for dragging SJWs in the ground but you should all be much more interested in commenting on why this is the case that women get sick from VR more often than men.

I would've liked a bigger sample size, study doesn't seem to say it accounts for most relevant extraneous variables.

It just seems to be a very simple statistical analysis.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Guys, i'm all for dragging SJWs in the ground but you should all be much more interested in commenting on why this is the case that women get sick from VR more often than men.

I would've liked a bigger sample size, study doesn't seem to say it accounts for most relevant extraneous variables.

I'd like to know that too, but guess what ... it's not specified - it's like one of those mysteries of the universe that still hasn't been solved

did you know that sex matters in organ transplant? study found male patient losing a transplanted kidney was 22% higher if the donor kidney came from a female rather than a male

did you know that sex matters in organ transplant? study found male patient losing a transplanted kidney was 22% higher if the donor kidney came from a female rather than a male

That's not so surprising... there are hormone differences etc that it might be accustomed to.  I'd like to know if the reverse (male organ in a female) gives the same number...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

That's not so surprising... there are hormone differences etc that it might be accustomed to.  I'd like to know if the reverse (male organ in a female) gives the same number...

it doesn't!

even more stunning, similar risks were observed in female to female transplants

it doesn't!

even more stunning, similar risk were observed for female to female transplants

interesting... now we have to try it with a gorilla.  I know blood from them works if it's the right blood type :D

Afaik men has a higher 3D spatial intelligence, which is one of the important things to have in 3D fps games and ultimately VR. It might also have something to do with exercise.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Afaik men has a higher 3D spatial intelligence, which is one of the important things to have in 3D fps games and ultimately VR. It might also have something to do with exercise.

I've heard that too - men have better spatial awareness/reasoning/etc. you know, the "engineering type" things, while women have better language/interpersonal skills, etc. but I've also heard that those are not actually medically based facts but simply trends that result from social conditions (what society expects women and men to be good in/act like/play with for toys as kids)

interesting... now we have to try it with a gorilla.  I know blood from them works if it's the right blood type :D

you'd be better off with a pig's hearth than with your wife's  :lol:

I've heard that too - men have better spatial awareness/reasoning/etc. you know, the "engineering type" things, while women have better language/interpersonal skills, etc. but I've also heard that those are not actually medically based facts but simply trends that result from social conditions (what society expects women and men to be good in/act like/play with for toys as kids)

I remember reading a study that finds a vast majority of early infants prefer certain toys that fit with their gender role (before social conditioning).

Such as many infants who were boys would gravitate towards Tonka trucks (which is a reason put up why engineering is more male-dominated even in countries that practice strict genderless customs i.e. Sweden) and LEGOs while most girls would gravitate around the dolls and action figures.

Humans are sexually dimorphic creatures, it's pretty established that the end result of anyone comes from a combination of both "nature" and "society".

But men more often having better spatial awareness is an interesting and possible explanation as to why.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

thats how humans contracted hiv.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Quite interesting study. I didn't see any mention of sample size which makes me wonder how legitimate their findings really are.

I was about to say "Why would the SJWs freak out about this?" but then I remembered they would do that for just about anything...

The Oculus Rift is clearly designed to oppress women by making them feel sick! Palmer is a sexist pig who are totally doing this on purpose because he hates women!

It actually sounds like they are already freaking out. Quote from the article:

Stoffregen said developers have a responsibility to create a device compatible with either sex.
“When we get into interactive technologies in general and things like the Oculus Rift in particular, you can no longer say ‘Oh, too bad,’ because we made it,” Stoffregen said.
-snip-
Still, he said Rift developers need to change the technology to accommodate women before it can expand.

I am all for further research being made, but judging by the fact that a lot more women are also affected by things such as seasickness (mentioned in the article) it might just be an unsolvable problem. Motion sickness is something that affects everyone after all, regardless of gender. Oculus are already working hard to decrease it as much as possible for both genders. Working towards improvements for bother genders (what they are currently doing) seems like a better idea than putting more attention towards their female customers.

thats how humans contracted hiv.

was it?  I thought it was something to do with monkeys...

was it?  I thought it was something to do with monkeys...

Hmm maybe it was, I remember it was something along the lines of a human receiving an organ transplant from an ape or monkey I do not remember. I will have to look it up.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Hmm maybe it was, I remember it was something along the lines of a human receiving an organ transplant from an ape or monkey I do not remember. I will have to look it up.

Highly reliable source: https://youtu.be/mjFeYGAmhro?t=2m28s

Highly reliable source: https://youtu.be/mjFeYGAmhro?t=2m28s

LOL

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER