more women than men get motion sickness with Occulus Rift

"Stoffregen said developers have a responsibility to create a device compatible with either sex."

That line is one of those scary thoughts that sounds great on paper but has potentially huge pitfalls.  Like others have said, women get seasickness more than men.  This sounds like physical inner ear differences and spatial awareness.  Likely from all those years of hunting in the wilds and fighting wars and such, maybe even all that sailing and fishing. 

This may be unsolvable short of individual surgery (of which there is currently no options medically).

Also, just out of curiosity, why do developers have an obligation to do this?  Why is it their responsibility?  Are we going to just come out and say there are no physical differences between the sexes?  Maybe we could just ignore reality harder, and that would make it work better for women?

Question, do women also get more car-sick than men?

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Just did some quick research, most sources seem to agree that roughly 4x more women than men get motion sickness in any/all forms.

Yeah, I thought that this was nothing new, the bad thing about this though, is that SJWs will get more fuel for their crap.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Stoffregen said developers have a responsibility to create a device compatible with either sex.

“When we get into interactive technologies in general and things like the Oculus Rift in particular, you can no longer say ‘Oh, too bad,’ because we made it,” Stoffregen said.

Is this suggesting that Oculus wouldn't give a sh*t about it's female audience? Because that's what it seems...

I think even if Oculus didn't already know this, it wasn't because they just decided to ignore females but more that whatever improves motion sickness for one gender probably improves it for the other.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Is this suggesting that Oculus wouldn't give a sh*t about it's female audience? Because that's what it seems...

I think even if Oculus didn't already know this, it wasn't because they just decided to ignore females but more that whatever improves motion sickness for one gender probably improves it for the other.

Yeah if women really do experience it more than men, I don't think anything is going to be able to change that ratio.  Best they could do is work on it until everyone feels less motion sickness.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yeah if women really do experience it more than men, I don't think anything is going to be able to change that ratio.  Best they could do is work on it until everyone feels less motion sickness.

Really this seems like a problem that can't be resolved until the overlying issue is resolved.  Think of things like 3D, there are lots of people that can't see it (no depth perception) or can't enjoy it (headaches/migraines/nausea in less time than the movie/show).  And these issue can't be fixed with the technology for some, for others it will take nothing short of star trek level holodeck to resolve the issues. 

Motion sickness is likely going to be one of these kinds of issues.  We still aren't even sure what the root medical cause of motion sickness is.  And the cures we have are kind of barbaric; you can cure motion sickness by basically sitting in one of the spiny machines that makes you sick for a few days straight until your body essentially shuts off the mechanisms that cause your motion sickness.  But this doesn't work for everyone and not many people are willing to get sick for a few days (think 8-10 hour days of just heaving), just to not get motion sickness.  Or they simply don't have access to that type of equipment for it. 

Really this seems like a problem that can't be resolved until the overlying issue is resolved.  Think of things like 3D, there are lots of people that can't see it (no depth perception) or can't enjoy it (headaches/migraines/nausea in less time than the movie/show).  And these issue can't be fixed with the technology for some, for others it will take nothing short of star trek level holodeck to resolve the issues. 

Motion sickness is likely going to be one of these kinds of issues.  We still aren't even sure what the root medical cause of motion sickness is.  And the cures we have are kind of barbaric; you can cure motion sickness by basically sitting in one of the spiny machines that makes you sick for a few days straight until your body essentially shuts off the mechanisms that cause your motion sickness.  But this doesn't work for everyone and not many people are willing to get sick for a few days (think 8-10 hour days of just heaving), just to not get motion sickness.  Or they simply don't have access to that type of equipment for it. 

Well, there's also Gravol...  :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Well, there's also Gravol...  :P

Well, there are plenty of ways to deal with it temporarily, I personally use ginger root pills, placebo or not it works for me.  But these don't actually cure it.  The spin you till you don't puke any more method actually cures you. 

Well, there are plenty of ways to deal with it temporarily, I personally use ginger root pills, placebo or not it works for me.  But these don't actually cure it.  The spin you till you don't puke any more method actually cures you. 

oh cool, didn't know that.  If I had that problem, I would definitely do 2 days of suffering for a lifetime free of problems!

What does this have to do with feminism? You people are just as bad as the people you're "making fun of."

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

oh cool, didn't know that.  If I had that problem, I would definitely do 2 days of suffering for a lifetime free of problems!

I learned about it from a USAF flight doc.  He said that sometimes pilots would find out they got airsick when they first flew jets.  So, they gave them the option of spin till you don't get sick, or find a different job.  Wasn't common due to the initial screening getting most people, and most people who want to fly jets have flown enough to find out they get sick.  But I haven't really ever found anywhere that would do it, or I too would totally go spin and puke till I didn't get sick anymore. 

I was about to say "Why would the SJWs freak out about this?" but then I remembered they would do that for just about anything...

to be honest... iv'e heard more women then men bitch about the 3D solution they use in IMAX cinemas too.

may be a genetic thing. may be a mental thing. most likely a bit of both.

also, according to occulus, you are supposed to gradually use the headset (sessions of 15 minutes over several days) to get accustomed to it.

I am willing to bet this test NEVER EVER did follow occuluses manual. Instead tehy just slammed the VR headset onto a few people and asked them to play.

I am willing to bet this test NEVER EVER did follow occuluses manual. Instead tehy just slammed the VR headset onto a few people and asked them to play.

lol that's what I'd do :D

to be honest... iv'e heard more women then men bitch about the 3D solution they use in IMAX cinemas too.

may be a genetic thing. may be a mental thing. most likely a bit of both.

also, according to occulus, you are supposed to gradually use the headset (sessions of 15 minutes over several days) to get accustomed to it.

its still valid way to see if the genders differ in their ability to handle VR. I would assume it would scale so if all the participants followed the instructions they would still end up with the same ratio, just fewer overall. The fact that it's known that slightly more women get seasick points to something more ingrained in us humans.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Oh boy. Another excuse for SJW's to get angry over the FACT that there are physical differences between males and females.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oh boy. Another excuse for SJW's to get angry over the FACT that there are physical differences between males and females.

2_gif.gif

I mean no matter how hard you try to make it happen or how hard you ignore it, the simple fact is that men and women are different. -_-

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I get extremely motion sick quite easily, am I a woman?

On the serious side: I wonder how many seconds I would last with a VR device, I had troubles completing "The talos principle" 'cause I'd get motion sick and needed to lay down for quite a bit :c

What does this have to do with feminism? You people are just as bad as the people you're "making fun of."

Were not laughing about feminists, I am all for equal pay for equal work, gender equality etc... Were laughing at femenazis, like Anita, who basically say that all men are pigs etc...

Were not laughing about feminists, I am all for equal pay for equal work, gender equality etc... Were laughing at femenazis, like Anita, who basically say that all men are pigs etc...

Uhhh, why? They inject sexism where it doesnt exist and you're injecting them into something that's not even related to them. What exactly makes you better than them?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Uhhh, why? They inject sexism where it doesnt exist and you're injecting them into something that's not even related to them. What exactly makes you better than them?

What? Im not talking about feminists...

Very interesting... I wonder why that is?

I'm not an expert but a lot of male kids play in team sports where spatial awareness is important. While it's slowly changing, I doubt it's reached parity yet.