EA COO Peter Moore Criticizes HD Remasters and Backwards Compatibility

Bloodyvalley

According EA’s Peter Moore, releasing HD remasters feels like pushing stuff out, because there are no ideas left. The EA Exec also shared his thoughts on backwards compatibility.

peter_moore_12-635x414.jpg

In a recent interview with IGN, Moore shared his thoughts on releasing HD Remasters. According Moore releasing remasters feels like pushing stuff out:

For those hoping on a Mass Effect remake or even a Trilogy, this seems to be big slap in the face.

“It feels like pushing stuff out because you’ve run out of ideas.”

The EA COO continued by explaining why EA won’t be releasing remasters of ‘old’ games. “Remakes, because of who we are, and this broad portfolio of intellectual property…you add all that together, I don’t know where we find the time to do remakes,” Moore said. “We’re a company that just likes to push forward.”

On the other hand, remakes tend to be very lucrative and generate revenue. Moore tends to agree with this, but it’s no practice for EA:

Backwards Compatibility Was To Convince Your Mom

Moore also didn’t seem too positive about backwards compatibility. According Moore the feature was the convince your mom to buy the new console:

“In the old days, backward compatibility was to convince your mom to buy the new console — not that you were ever going to use it,” Moore said. “Once you got it? Those things went in the drawer, or on eBay.”

Interesting enough, EA has just announced a Game of the Year edition for Dragon Age: Inquisition. Although not a remaster, one might argue that re-releasing a 1 year old game is pushing stuff out as well? Kind of inconsistent if you ask me.

Source

I'm pretty sure Peter Moore just insulted all the console gamers out there

Obama-lol.gif

I think HD remasters are kinda bad, I will admit. Release a new fucking game already. As for backwards compatibility, I disagree with Peter Moore. What's the good in buying a game if it doesn't work with what is new? Imagine you bought a bunch of games when you had Windows 7 but then you upgrade to Windows 10 and none of them work.

That's bullshit, and I think Peter Moore needs to shut the hell up, at least about backwards compatibility.

In a nutshell he said a smart thing followed by putting his foot in his mouth, well he does represent EA, which does make some sweet games, then they ruin them with DLC schemes and such, so in a sense he embodies EA perfectly.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Well... Oddworld New'n'Tasty was actually a really good game , a remake of Abe's Odyssey from 1997 . Still, it wasn't exactly just an HD remake. Things changed : the new game is now 3D, compared to the 2d prerendered style of the old one, more challenges have been added , etc.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

He think it's wrong to remaster games. But milking his customers for dlc is fine :P

Also backwards compatibility is a thing on PC, so i mostly don't care.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

There are certain games that would be better served by an hd remaster than a sequel. Star wars battlefront for example.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

backwards compatibility is why i'm on PC. (well, that and modding...)

as for HD remakes... i'm happy i can play AOE2 HD with propper multiplayer support.

should every game have a HD remake? no.

should old games that are still very much popular have a HD remake? potentially yes.

They probably don't see a whole lot of market to put work on remastering an existing game. And also, they can't milk it even further with add-on dlcs.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Seems like a half-truth, to me. I'm certain he's only saying it to strike some brownie points.

Remakes are an excellent thing when done correctly. See Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, for example. Instead of just being a literal re-release of the old game running at a higher resolution, they completely revamped the game's graphics and audio whilst keeping the physics and AI systems identical to the original.

But not every game deserves a remake, and if a company wants to do a remake I feel they should give it a proper amount of work to ensure it's worthwhile. Considering how far EA push their development teams (whether that's a good or bad thing), it's not surprising that they don't have time to work on remakes of old titles too.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Of course EA says that. The only EA games worth remastering were made prior to the studios that made the games were purchased by EA, and likely the developers that made the games no longer work for the studios.

Seriously, CEOs of publishing companies just need to never say anything, if they ever knew anything about the gaming community they lost it on the path to being CEO.

I could argue that most sports games are "remasters"

Part of me doesn't understand why we need a new Football, Golf, Basketball, Hockey (and many more) each and every year.

I could argue that most sports games are "remasters"

Mic drop*

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

"Interesting enough, EA has just announced a Game of the Year edition for Dragon Age: Inquisition. Although not a remaster, one might argue that re-releasing a 1 year old game is pushing stuff out as well? Kind of inconsistent if you ask me."

It's not just re-releasing a 1 year old game, they pack in DLC with it for those who haven't already gotten the game.

Part of me doesn't understand why we need a new Football, Golf, Basketball, Hockey (and many more) each and every year.

I happen to play FIFA quite a lot, there is just a lot of improvement in game physics, fluidity and features.

Not to mention different teams and league changes happen and such.

On HD remasters, I like the idea, specially when there are old game such as Deus Ex which I really wouldn't mind in HD.

Backwards compatibility is a must imo.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

If EA is out of ideas, they don't make an HD remaster, they just release a new FIFA. /s

I kinda agree that backwards compatability is not that important. If you want to keep playing your games, you can keep your old system. I must admit, though, that I spend countless hours playing GBA games on my DS lite.

As for HD remasters, I think they can be good or bad, it always depends. If the original was exclusive to a certain region or an obscure system, then HD remasters are good because they allow everyone to easily get their hands on the game. Also, if a game is old, but still very popular, then an HD remaster is not just a way to get quick cash, but often highly requested.

Also the statement "I don’t know where we find the time to do remakes." is BS. A remaster of a AAA-game doesn't require a development team that usually creates new AAA-games, it can be done by a smaller team or even be outsourced, that happens all the time and it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Anyway, it takes a considerable amount of impertinence and hypocrisy for the spokesperson of a company that is known for the greed (and rightly so, if you look at their history) to condemn a practice, regardless of that practice in itself, because it is allegedly just a way to make quick money ("a way to drive revenue") which has not -according to him- "ever been in our culture", idealizing themself as the avant garde that doesn't care about profit, but only "to push forward".

Sorry. Didn't notice.

Thank you very much. I know I may seem like a social justice warrior, but it helps create a more friendly environment. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Thank you very much. I know I may seem like a social justice warrior, but it helps create a more friendly environment. 

I totally agree

I agree and disagree. Some HD remasters can be great, like the Master Chief Collection. It's now five games in one, with one having completely redone graphics and audio. Others, however, call themselves HD remasters but are basically the same game with a high resolution with the goal of making them fat stacks with old IP.

I see and almost like what he's saying, that EA's goal is new content as opposed to taking the easy way out, but there are always exceptions.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

As Lorne Lanning said :

"Why do they rewrite the script? Reshoot it, and do new visual effects, 21st century shit - keep the same script. Don't fuck with a great thing. But they do. And it's never as good as the original. It's never as good as the original."

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

it depends on the remaster.....gears of war....i can see that the halo copllection or god of war collection definatly but things llike the last of us......errrr no

as for bacwards compatability.......i dont care there are not to many games that i would go back and play on old gen

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I like remakes when they done properly. If you want an example of great remakes then look no further than Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen. They were great remakes since they made so many improvements.

The graphics got a huge makeover. The original games were in black and white while the remake was much higher fidelity and in color.

The mechanics got updated to include additional stats, types and attacks. This made the game more balanced and fun.

Extra content was added such as new Pokémon, new areas and extra stuff to the story.

Updating just the graphics is alright when you bring it to a new platform, but remaking Xbox 360/PS3 games on the Xbone/PS4 seems kind of cheap if that's all you're going to do. The Wind Waker remake seemed unnecessary since it didn't change much graphically or gameplay wise, and I think a remake of Mass Effect would probably fall into that category as well.

But what the hell is he smoking abou backwards compatibility? I played a ton of Halo 1, 2 and Fable on my Xbox 360. Even before that I had my NES and N64 plugged into my TV at the same time because I wanted to be able to play Mario 3 for a little while and then change over to Zelda OoT.