Lumia 950 unveiled - "Liquid Cooled"?- 808, 3GB, 1440x2560 OLED

CommandMan7

@CommandMan7 Table has it wrong. The XL has 5.4' 5.7 Screen and has the SD810 Processor running things.

The specs are for the normal 950.

Thanks, i'm on mobile right now, i'll fix it later.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

-snip-

Dont people actually have tons of lagg in asphalt 8 and similar with that even weaker than the snapdragon 805 graphical chip? Even the Exynos Mali T-760 laggs on Dungeon Hunter 5 :P the game they advertised on the website to work flawlessly as far as imagery goes.

Groomlake Authority

I really love the look of these new Microsoft phones. Great to see that they've kept the microSD expansion, and the dedicated camera shutter button.

I wish they'd included a fingerprint reader somehow though. Maybe on the next ones. Next year should be quite interesting for mobile phones indeed.

I'm impressed that they managed to keep the phone only slightly wider, and shorter than the Note 5.

Hopefully battery life manages to keep up with the major competitors as well.

Liquid cooled. What on earth.

I'm sure lots of people think the same thing about PC's ;)

If the charging port is as crappy as my Lumia 822, not interested.

USB Type C and wireless charging ftw.

so, its not like its any worse then android and ios

The app quality is hugely lacking.

If they made a really solid eBay app, such as the Android one, I'd definitely consider switching.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

That HW is such overkill for WP but I guess that Continuum will benefit from it.

Is the 950 (not XL) battery also user removable?

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Camera will most likely be great, the OS is ok I guess (if you like it), but the display is overkill.

Is the 950 (not XL) battery also user removable?

Yes.

I'm not sure I can pull myself away from Android because of how many apps simply don't exist on WP... But those do look pretty nice. Sad about no dual front-facing speakers though.

I'm interested in XL one but why putting top spec on phones which are closing to 6" now. Anyway, Windows 10 on phones looks really great and I'm thinking of getting one.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

please work on Verizon... please work on Verizon...

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Android user since 2011 and the 950XL actually has me thinking about at least experimenting with Windows Phone. Who knows, might hate it, but I'm verging on willing to try it at least.

Gaming Rig: Asus Z87 Pro, i5-4670k, EVGA Supernova 1000 P2, Corsair Carbide Air 540, NZXT Kraken X60, G.SKILL Ripjaws X (4 x 8GB @ 2133), 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, 2 x HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm

Plex Server/Couch Gamer: Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5, i7 4790k, Corsair HX750, Fractal Node 804, Deepcool Captain 240 AIO, G.SKILL Sniper Series (4 x 8GB @ 1866), MSI Lightning 780, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200rpm.

The 950 xl looks a lot like the Xperia Zx phones.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I use the 925 atm so I am stoked about this new phone line up. I will be using the continuum stuff for sure at work and other places.

Its almost a full fledged pc in your pocket. Connect the screen and it runs Win10 desktop mode so I can use office anywhere, no need for a laptop or tablet.  :D

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@CommandMan7 , you should add this to your post

The Lumia 950's have 32GB onboard memory and are expandable via micro-SD memory, and features automatic cloud uploading to boot. Microsoft affirms that the Lumia 950 phones will be fully integrated with Windows 10 cross-compatible apps and will come with full versions of Office, Cortana, Skype and Outlook. The handsets can also power an authentic PC-like experience with Continuum, which basically lets the phones power a keyboard and a monitor to emulate a desktop environment.  Microsoft prices the Lumia 950 at $549 and the Lumia 950XL at $649, and both phones will ship in November.

Source: TweakTown

@CommandMan7 , you should add this to your post

Source: TweakTown

Thanks, will do.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

950 xl is liquid cooled, 950 doesn't look like it is. If it also is, why?

Because snapdragon 810.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

http://www.winbeta.org/news/secret-sauce-behind-surface-pro-4-hybrid-liquid-cooling 

This is for the SP4, but its proabbly the same system the 950/950XL is using.

That is a massive heatsink in the SP4, definitely should solve the throttling problem of the SP3.

But for the new Lumia phone, if they use something like that, the processor should start shining now.

That is a massive heatsink in the SP4, definitely should solve the throttling problem of the SP3.

But for the new Lumia phone, if they use something like that, the processor should start shining now.

Doesn;t it worry you tho?

Looks like the secondary heatplate/sink is at the battery compartment.... wouldn;t more heat = less battery life?

So I think they;re still gonna throttle it pretty heavily

Doesn;t it worry you tho?

Looks like the secondary heatplate/sink is at the battery compartment.... wouldn;t more heat = less battery life?

So I think they;re still gonna throttle it pretty heavily

No. Microsoft uses really high quality batteries, that are resistant to heat. My Surface Pro 2 get really warm when I play demanding game like Civ5 on it, and I play games for about 2h each day since December (my trip to work which is far from where I am), and my battery life is barely affected (falls in the normal reduction of battery life over time).

Because snapdragon 810.

950 is 808.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

No. Microsoft uses really high quality batteries, that are resistant to heat. My Surface Pro 2 get really warm when I play demanding game like Civ5 on it, and I play games for about 2h each day since December (my trip to work which is far from where I am), and my battery life is barely affected (falls in the normal reduction of battery life over time).

nah i don;t mean the battery capacity... i mean don;t battery drain quicker when warm? Also now with the heat even in closer contact with battery.... But tbh I'm pretty sure the folks at MS got it figured out.

nah i don;t mean the battery capacity... i mean don;t battery drain quicker when warm? Also now with the heat even in closer contact with battery.... But tbh I'm pretty sure the folks at MS got it figured out.

Nope, but it increases the power output if it is reduce. Meaning a weak battery will not operate as long when cold compared to warm.

This is an issue with electric cars in areas that have cold winters. In Winter, even in perfect road condition and never turn on the heating, the car will not travel as much than if you are in summer (also perfect road condition, and in this case A/C off)

950 is 808.

The XL should be the only one water cooled, at least according to OP.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide