Worlds first 4K Blu-Ray Player and studios promise to release all its contents in 4K blu-ray

jos

Why you can't get anything DRM free? Because of pirates.

that is a bit illogical, pirates create the DRM free versions, off of DRM protected content. all they are doing is limiting distribution of content to people that are willing to deal with DRM. people that don't want to deal with it ether has to just not get it or pirate it.

DRM cause me to pirate. if there is no DRM, like the music I buy, then I don't pirate.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Pfft, who uses CDs anymore? Such casual skrubs.

Have you any idea the bandwidth needed to stream uncompressed 4K video with uncompressed 8-9 channel audio? Anyone who gives a shit about AV quality uses optical media.

that is a bit illogical, pirates create the DRM free versions, off of DRM protected content. all they are doing is limiting distribution of content to people that are willing to deal with DRM. people that don't want to deal with it ether has to just not get it or pirate it.

DRM cause me to pirate. if there is no DRM, like the music I buy, then I don't pirate.

No its very logical. No DRM = 1 person buys distributes online = easier piracy, DRM exists to make it harder. All the issues consumers have with legal content all lead back to pirates. Fuck those entitled morons.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

No its very logical. No DRM = 1 person buys distributes online = easier piracy, DRM exists to make it harder. All the issues consumers have with legal content all lead back to pirates. Fuck those entitled morons.

I get your point, I would not have a problem with DRM if it is not locked down to specific ecosystems, like Apple, google, Microsoft. If they had a DRM that can be licenses out to everyone that needs it so the content can be viewed on anything. like HDCP or some nice open standard. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

This is good, finally we will get real UHD content, and not the "UHD" that Netflix provides (bitrate is too low, also no 10bit and no HDR as far as I know. AND no real good audio). 

I wonder how long it will take before we get drives for PC's so I can start ripping them to disk. I love Blu-rays because of their quality, both in audio and video. But I have no interest in using a blu-ray player when watching them, that is too much of a hassle. Adds you can't skip, menus to navigate through, etc. Ripping to disk and using some media software to list all movies, that's the good way to do it. 

I dream of a future were we've got a movie service were you can buy digital movies with Blu-ray quality. But you are also able to download lower quality versions if you don't have the speed, or the storage room, for full quality. Prices should be same as Blu-rays, maybe even a bit cheaper, if they can manage it.

The movies can be tied to that app for all I care, as long as it has functionality to share what is downloaded across local network so that I can have a storage machine that just downloads everything and an HTPC that can still play it from there.

Maybe, some beautiful day in the future, this will be a reality.

And later they can start to add streaming capability (they really should have streaming capability from the start, although with lower bitrates of course) so that you can stream the full quality versions. But I'll be more than happy enough to just get a place were I can buy everything within a month after release in cinemas. No area blocking, and with all existing subtitles for the content. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

You're ignoring the fact that streaming in 4K, today (through Netflix or limited YouTube content) simply requires high, high speed connections to begin with. we're talking 30 at minimum if not more to prevent clogging your own network when someone is streaming 4K. It is a lot of data. 

Blu Ray has its place especially in media consumption. Not everyone is going to be satisfied with a shitty stream from Netflix with a quarter of the bitrate of a Blu Ray with lossy sound mixes. Some people want to enjoy 4K in all its glory in a lossless form with proper audio. Like me. I have little issue paying for a 4K projector (already have one) or a 4K Blu Ray player (still need one) or 4K content. 

I don't want to ravage my own internet just for passable 4K. I want the real deal and I (and many others) will spend for it. 4K, more than 1080p ever could be, is closer to the home theatre experience at home. Movies these days are natively filmed at 4K digital and shown in that format, Dolby and their ATMOS is available for home consumption. Yes, streaming is a nice feature but until you can stream a 4K movie at lossless quality, people like me won't care. And I will never care because I know damn well that asking for that kind of bandwidth and throughput from an ISP, in todays market, is never going to happen. 

Great post.

Lets face it, if you want to legally purchase 1080p video which is even close to being transparent to the source material, optical media is the only way to achieve that. None of the legal streaming or downloading services achieve a quality that is close to BluRay. And this is not going to change with the move to 4K and newer codecs, Online services do not prioritise the highest possible quality, they prioritise "acceptable quality" at a reasonable bandwidth. There is just no way these services will compete with the quality of UHD, when they can't even compete with BluRay.

That being said, you could argue that perhaps it's in all the concerned party's interests, to hold back on the quality of these Online services, to encourage the continued use of Cable, Satellite and optical media distribution. It is for example quite straightforward to obtain a fully transparent BluRay encode, on a fairly average 20mb internet connection. So it's not like it's simply an infrastructure problem.

Personally I like having the disks. You can use them without having internet access, you don't have to stay subscribed to some service to access them, it's typically much higher quality video than what you can stream, and they come with a lot of interesting content you don't get anywhere else.

Also, does netflix, itunes, amazon, etc have surround sound? I don't watch netflix on my tv so I'm not sure but that could be another reason to get the disk.

Blu.ray?, LaserDisc is where it's at.

0nNBj5m.jpg

Say hi to my old CD player lol.

post-8310-0-61688000-1436162004_thumb.jp

post-8310-0-61688000-1436162004_thumb.jp

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Staying relevant..... kind of...

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

LOL

User who streams HD content instead of buying Blu-Ray's and ripping them for high bitrate beautiful Home Theatre experiences?

Casual Scrub.

/s

But seriously, there is still no comparable online digital service to Blu-Ray's. The quality is just incomparable. Buying a Blu-Ray, then ripping to a NAS/Media Server is still a much better experience if you have a decent Home Theatre setup. My Plasma TV certainly shows off the difference between my BR Rips and stuff from Netflix or even most pirated downloads (not that I condone piracy - just this is an example for the sake of comparison) - sure there are some torrents of uncompressed BR Rips - but most are HEAVILY compressed, and it shows.

An iTunes movie? No comparison. Google Play? No comparison.

Blu-Ray still remains king of quality.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

can i play it in vlc or upload it to my plex server?

as far as I know you can't. I don't want to have to rely on google play to be able to watch my videos.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2851696?hl=en&ref_topic=6029690&vid=1-635769025865112286-855198905

"For PC, Mac, and other laptops and computers: Movies and shows purchased from Google Play can’t be downloaded onto computers, except for Chromebooks."

I just suggested it because you said you wanted to play it on any device, and as far as I can tell it would support any devices plex would. The downside of course being you rely on internet speed.

Pfft... feeble attempt at making an "unlimited resource" a scarcity. Though it's nice to rip for quality movies without wasting bandwidth.

LOL

User who streams HD content instead of buying Blu-Ray's and ripping them for high bitrate beautiful Home Theatre experiences?

Casual Scrub.

/s

But seriously, there is still no comparable online digital service to Blu-Ray's. The quality is just incomparable. Buying a Blu-Ray, then ripping to a NAS/Media Server is still a much better experience if you have a decent Home Theatre setup. My Plasma TV certainly shows off the difference between my BR Rips and stuff from Netflix or even most pirated downloads (not that I condone piracy - just this is an example for the sake of comparison) - sure there are some torrents of uncompressed BR Rips - but most are HEAVILY compressed, and it shows.

An iTunes movie? No comparison. Google Play? No comparison.

Blu-Ray still remains king of quality.

Since there's so many competing services, we have to see a "bitrate" (quality) war at some point right?

Especially for single sales of Digital HD Copies @1080p. iTunes has to be the worst, I think they just blanket encode at like 5-6 mbps, Amazon is pretty good for purchased files, I think almost 10mbps. Not that I condone piracy either, but the average "scene" BluRay encode is probably around 8-10 mbps.

I get your point, I would not have a problem with DRM if it is not locked down to specific ecosystems, like Apple, google, Microsoft. If they had a DRM that can be licenses out to everyone that needs it so the content can be viewed on anything. like HDCP or some nice open standard. 

Though I do understand that DRM's are annoying. Though things like google play is multi platform, sometimes 1 platform is better than the other.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Personally I like having the disks. You can use them without having internet access, you don't have to stay subscribed to some service to access them, it's typically much higher quality video than what you can stream, and they come with a lot of interesting content you don't get anywhere else.

Also, does netflix, itunes, amazon, etc have surround sound? I don't watch netflix on my tv so I'm not sure but that could be another reason to get the disk.

iTunes seems to support Dolby 5.1 on their movies.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

this is my favorite line here:

studios promise to release all its contents in 4K blu-ray

Studios will love any reason for us to have to re-buy every movie we own just to have a copy of it in 4k. Unless it's shot in native 4k it will still just be a post-processed upscale done by the studio and released as "4k."

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

this is my favorite line here:

Studios will love any reason for us to have to re-buy every movie we own just to have a copy of it in 4k. Unless it's shot in native 4k it will still just be a post-processed upscale done by the studio and released as "4k."

You do realize that all digital films have been shot in at least 4K and then downgraded to 2K for digital cinema release, and 4K where applicable? 

You do realize that anything shot on film has an effective digital resolution of ~8K and the studio remasters those original scans as needed for 1080p Blu Ray, 2K Digital, 4K Digital and any film theatres still out there? 

Its why we had all these really, really old movies get released on 1080p Blu Ray back in the day, because those original film scans are just sitting there waiting to be mastered into whatever size the studio needs them to be remastered in. Its why in 10 decades when we get to 12K Blu Rays, Nolan can have Interstellar remastered because he shot the damn thing for IMAX and its 70mm film, which equates to somewhere around 16K digital resolution. 

Also, studios don't force you to rebuy shit. They'll likely rerelease a bunch of classic and popular films in 4K to get the market going but don't be fooled into thinking that they aren't waiting to have every single new release be put on 4K right away. 

Not true. I used to have a laptop that I used for everything and a monitor that I used for games and films and the only common connector between them was VGA. Short of spending hundreds on a new monitor I had to pirate blu rays I already owned just to watch them due to the HDCP DRM.

Further to this getting blu-rays to play on an open-source is a complete pain in the arse. So much so the most popular solution is to rip the disk to MKV, watch it as it's ripping and then delete the MKV file afterwards. This is the main reason I went the route of creating a 30-60GB MKV file of my blu-rays instead for my HTPC. Not as good as blu ray itself, but much better than the digital downloads available for purchase. Only a little bit illegal.

DRM is the worst thing about optical media and is a reason I have had to resort to piracy for titles I legitimately spent money on.

The concept is flawed anyway. Why would anyone bother with a man-in-the-middle device recording in realtime when you can easily just decrypt and rip the disk?

Haven't touched a disc in ages! Even when I had my Samsung bluray drive in my system, it had issues playing some movies and these were retail discs. Between disc dying and bad DRM being fetishized, this seems like a product without an audience.

I'm pretty sure they have been around for a little longer than that ...

very possible, I can't remember exactly when the first ones came out

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Glad I sold off my huge Blu-Ray collection while it still had value. And glad for more 4K content. I think I'm done with owning physical copies of films and shows though.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

I did not ignore that: I very specifically said that ISPs are intentionally limiting connection speeds: They've got huge tax breaks as part of the 1996 telecommunications act and they were supposed to invest on upgrading their networks with that meaning that 20 years later most homes would have had fiber have their kept their end of the bargain and not just flatout pocketed the money and not done a single fucking thing to upgrade their infrastructure.

refusing to support this isnt going to help with that ...