• New Features For iOS 9 and OS X 10.11
  • Security Upgrades – Rootless, iCloud Drive + Trusted Wi-Fi
  • Older Device Optimization
  • Swift 2.0 + Smaller App Sizes
  • iPad - App Multiview + Multiuser support

New Features For iOS 9 and OS X 10.11
- new San Francisco typeface (from Apple watch) used in iOS and OS X
- Home application for iOS for managing HomeKit devices
- Apple Maps application with mass transit directions (something Google had quite some time)

Security Upgrades – Rootless, iCloud Drive + Trusted Wi-Fi
new security system called Rootless:
-- kernel-level feature for both OS X and iOS.
-- prevent malware
-- increase the safety of extensions
-- Rootless will prevent even administrative-level users from being able to access certain protected files
-- can supposedly be disabled on OS X

iCloud Drive:
-- move services/applications using IMAP protocols over to iCloud Drive
-- better end-to-end encryption than IMAP

Trusted Wi-Fi
-- allows Macs and iOS devices to connect to authorized wireless routers without additional security measures
-- instates a more heavily encrypted wireless connection for non-trusted routers

Older Device Optimization
not only will the iPhone 4S (2011) and iPad Mini (2012 get an iOS 9 update, but it will be far more optimized in terms of speed and stability. instead of ddveloping for the newest device and then removing some features for the older devices, the OS will be developed with older devices from the beginning.

Swift 2.0 + Smaller App Sizes
- major upgrade to its Swift programming language
- Swift is planned to reach “Application Binary Interface (ABI) stability"
- code libraries will be pre-installed within the new iOS and Mac operating systems

iPad - App Multiview + Multiuser support

Personal Statement:
Instead of focusing to bring more and more features to the user, Apple wants to keep the focus on quality and stability first. This doesn't mean that we won't see any new features, but rather more refined one. I like that approach and I love that Apple is supporting devices like the iPhone 4S for basically at least another year. (that is 5 years of software updates for a phone)

sources:
9to5mac
technobuffalo
techradar

This post has been promoted to an article

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Well thats good, love stability addons

I'm more exited about iOS 9 than anything else.. Ill probably still beta all of my devices since I have a Developer thing but... Yeah. 

there goes jailbreaking

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

"focus on quality and stability"

...what the heck where they focusing on before?

adding features that people were begging for/ add in by jailbreaking. Ex. third party keyboards in iOS 8, the quick access from the bottom in iOS 7 and so on

making things look pretty! :P

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

*insert joke about building walls around a garden here*

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Older Device Optimization

not only will the iPhone 4S (2011) and iPad Mini (2012) will get the iOS 9 update, but it will be far more optimized in terms of speed and stability. instead of ddveloping for the newest device and then removing some features for the older devices, the OS will be developed with older devices from the beginning.

ohh f*ck! apple, my iphone 4S is nearly dying of age but you guys still support it? time to throw my new plans for a new phone in the garbagecan

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

ohh f*ck! apple, my iphone 4S is nearly dying of age but you guys still support it? time to throw my new plans for a new phone in the garbagecan

well they can't stop supporting one of the most beautiful looking mobile devices, can they? :D

OT: I find it very impressive that they're still giving the 4S some love, when by all accounts most other OS providers (barring MS, given how many devices they've put WP10 on) would've left even devices from last year behind, much less a device that old.

Good to see they're focusing on stability over features. Features for the sake of them are not the best move. Surprised that the system wide multi window feature for iOS is even being considered. That's a resource hog, it was cut from ios8 but maybe they've figured out how to give most devices that without ruining the overall experience.

Edited by colonel_mortis
Removed off topic content

I know! Apple is such a horrible company for supporting my phone for 5 years /s

well they can't stop supporting one of the most beautiful looking mobile devices, can they? :D

that and the fact it's basically the most used iphone around from my knowledge.

I know! Apple is such a horrible company for supporting my phone for 5 years /s

i want a new phone, but the only reason for me to get a new one is support being dropped since the thing works like a charm and a not being supported in a new OS would annoy me since i prefer the newest stuff, so yeah... kinda weird feeling, that the support holds me back from upgrading to something else.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Time to pick up an iPad then. I quite like the iPad and iOS. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

yeah lets lock down the devices even more!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

The Almighty Dollar

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

that is what you are reading out of this? :D

yup

new security system called Rootless:

-- prevent malware

-- increase the safety of extensions

-- Rootless will prevent even administrative-level users from being able to access certain protected files

-- can supposedly be disabled on OS X

Jailbreaking may be over because of this...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

relax, I just found it funny that they'd need to specifically point out that they care about stability and quality this time ;) they could probably have presented it better

they didn't present it at all :P

they did care about quality and stability and security AND features. Now they are focusing on stability, security and quality. That just means, that the new-features-lists might be a bit shorter, not that there won't be any more new features.

yup

Jailbreaking may be over because of this...

I know, that there are some customers that want to customize every little detail, but I rather see a more secure system, that locks out that group, than a weaker system that has that options.

the last iPhone I jailbreaked was an 3GS. I don't feel the necessity to jailbreak anymore with stuff like control center added to iOS.

they didn't present it at all :P

they did care about quality and stability and security AND features. Now they are focusing on stability, security and quality. That just means, that the new-features-lists might be a bit shorter, not that there won't be any more new features.

what if I owned a restaurant, and for the latest renewal of the building I told you this time we'd focus on cleanliness and disinfestation? You can see how that could come across the wrong way, right? :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Sadly, no support for getting old versions of apps on old hardware... still gotta jailbreak.

what if I owned a restaurant, and for the latest renewal of the building I told you this time we'd focus on cleanliness and disinfestation? You can see how that could come across the wrong way, right? :P

Apple didn't say or publish anything ;)

and the statement would be more like "we focus on making our existing menu better and offering the customer best service, instead of trying out new meals every week"

Apple didn't say or publish anything ;)

and the statement would be more like "we focus on making our existing menu better and offering the customer best service, instead of trying out new meals every week"

I would place stability and security closer to disinfestation when it comes to importance to be honest

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*