Nvidia: ‘Pascal’ architecture’s NVLink to enable 8-way multi-GPU

ahhming

Nvidia hopes that with the emergence of the code-named “Pascal” GPUs and NVLink bus, it will be considerably easier to build multi-GPU machines.

Today even the top-of-the-range Intel Core i7-5960X processor has only 40 PCI Express 3.0 lanes (up to 40GB/s of bandwidth), thus, can connect up to two graphics cards using PCIe 3.0 x16 or up to four cards using PCIe 3.0 x8 bus. In both cases, maximum bandwidth available for GPU-to-GPU communications will be limited to 16GB/s or 8GB/s (useful bandwidth will be around 12GB/s and 6GB/s) in the best case scenarios since GPUs need to communicate with the CPU too.

nvidia_pascal_nvlink_0.png

nvidia_pascal_nvlink.png

Nvidia will implement support of proprietary NVLink bus into its next-generation “Pascal” GPUs. Each NVLink point-to-point connection will support 20GB/s of bandwidth in both directions simultaneously (16GB/s effective bandwidth in both directions) and each “Pascal” high-end GPU will support at least four of such links. In case a of a system with NVLink, two GPUs would get a total peak bandwidth of 80GB/s (64GB/s effective) per direction between them. Moreover, PCI Express bandwidth would be preserved for CPU-to-GPU communications. In case of four-GPU sub-system, graphics processors would get up to 40GB/s bandwidth to communicate with each other.

nvidia_pascal_nvlink_1.png

According to Nvidia, NVLink is projected to deliver up to two times higher performance in many applications simply by replacing the PCIe interconnect for communication among peer GPUs. It should be noted that in an NVLink-enabled system, CPU-initiated transactions such as control and configuration are still directed over a PCIe connection, while any GPU-initiated transactions use NVLink, which allows to preserve the PCIe programming model.

Additional bandwidth provided by NVLink could allow one to build a personal computer with up to eight GPUs. However, to make it useful in applications beyond technical computing, Nvidia will have to find a way to efficiently use eight graphics cards for rendering. Since performance scaling beyond two GPUs is generally low, it is unlikely that eight-way multi-GPU technology will actually make it to the market. However, if Nvidia manages to improve efficiency of current multi-GPU technologies in general by replacing SLI [scalable link interface] with NVLink, that could further boost popularity of the company’s graphics cards among gamers.

TLDR:
Nvidia's Pascal architectures's NVLink has 8-way multi-gpu support but we wont be seeing it in consumer market as scaling beyond 2 GPUs is generally low . IBM plans to add NVLink to select Power microprocessors for supercomputers and the technology will be extremely useful for high-performance servers . However, we could see  improved multi-gpu scaling if Nvidia replace SLI with NVLink. 

Source:
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/nvidia-pascal-architectures-nvlink-to-enable-8-way-multi-gpu-capability/

This post has been promoted to an article

Welp, I think the titan x was the last maxwell. The hype of pascal nvidia is creating might suggest that

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Yes. I need a 8 way titan x with a .1% increase

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

With the scaling of the cards expect an extra 2fps AVG and -10FPS MIN per card.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Lmfao, seeing someone's build with a wall of Nvidia graphics cards.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

So with NVLink being a thing, is nvidia taking a page out of AMD's book and probably ditching the SLI bridges?

That's kinda sad, pimped out SLI bridges can be fun.

Lmfao, seeing someone's build with a wall of Nvidia graphics cards.

sadly and awesome enough...you know someone will build that...

Intel I7 4770k 4.2ghz, Asus Maximus VI Hero,16 gb Corsair Ram(1600 mhz), GTX 780 Classified, 1000w EVGA Supernova Powersupply,Corsair h100i
250 GB Samsung 840 Evo Solid State Drive(OS Drive), 120 GB Corsair Solid State Drive, 1 Terabyte Western Digital Drive
(Blue)

I doubt the need for an 8 way in a single server will be high. 

1- Virtualization Servers Scale well over Multi-Node and Allow for better Performance if All of them aren't running of a single computer.
2- Tasks where You need a single node to have high performance (IE- Ineffecient Rendering or Possible Cad work) Probably don't need the GPUS to communicate to each other at 80 GBPS as much as they need a strong CPU induvidually giving tasks to each others.
3- If you think this will have a performance increase in gaming , Remember that GPUS don't work together on the same frame and there isn't much gain beyond 4 GPUS. Although the Higher bandwidth and DirectX 12 Might allow for them to work together to Draw single Frames Faster.

But a computer with 8 GPUs in it will probably look really cool. And maybe some people will find creative uses.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

what are the advantages of higher bandwidth ?

i mean x4 at 3.0 doesnt suffer much

im trying to find cuda specific benchmarks but cant seem to find any

or is nvidia taking advantage of the high bandwidth and doing something with it

bf4_2560_1440.gif

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This is so not needed...

Ban this dude.

8 way GTX 1080's? BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!! Hello HOF

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

Ban this dude.

8 way GTX 1080's? BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!! Hello HOF

xD and if Nvidia figures it out, they may be able to make multi gpu scaling better.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

so everyone would be switching to linux to use that 8 way sli

I wont be running any 8 way GPU configs, but I would love to see some benchmarks of it.

The computational power would make your mind hurt.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

The GRID has begun!

Can't wait for the day were a massive server full of GPUs can sit in your garage, while it's powering all your devices. We'd be able to manage and share hardware resources in our own private network,

So glad its not for consumers yet ! I really want to upgrade my GPU to 1000 series and if they used the Nvlink then my system would not be compatible.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

what are the advantages of higher bandwidth ?

i mean x4 at 3.0 doesnt suffer much

im trying to find cuda specific benchmarks but cant seem to find any

or is nvidia taking advantage of the high bandwidth and doing something with it

bf4_2560_1440.gif

its more of GPU to GPU/CPU communication through NVLink rather than PCIE which is much faster and in theory better scaling for multi-GPU

LTT's favorite news source says Nvidia Pascal will use the 2nd gen HBM, which is developed by SK Hynix and AMD.

http://wccftech.com/amd-r9-390x-nvidia-pascal-hbm-stacked-vram-pictured/

More info on Nvidia Pascal

1iyemc.jpg

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-gtc-2015/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Now imagine the size of the case that would support 8x 2-slot graphics card :D I bet you could easily throw 560-700mm radiator in front.

if only ceo math was real

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

Yes, don't get excited though. It's not for desktops but rather for servers.

That's what they said* about the original titan, but look where the titan X is now.

*kind of. Workstations, not servers.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.