BMW developing new Plug-in hybrid named as i5 / i7 to compete against Tesla Model S

ahhming

BMW is developing a new "i" series Plug-in hybrid is expected to be named as i5 / i7.
Due in 2018, the battery BMW is designed to hobble the success of Elon Musk’s Model S - and it’ll be priced to suit, with target volumes in the tens of thousands and a cost spanning from just below the Tesla to more than $125,000 (£85,000).
BMWi8cutaway.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&sca

To underline its low-emission talents, i5/i7 boasts two e-motors, not only one like the i8. Depending on the driving situation and the momentary performance duties, it can be electric front-wheel drive, electric rear-wheel drive or petrol-electric all-wheel drive. While the i8 makes do with a 1.5-litre three-cylinder on steroids, the four-door sister model will likely feature a more relaxed and smoother running four-cylinder rated at around 245bhp.

The e-unit in front develops 204bhp, the smaller battery-powered motor in the back is good for 95bhp, sources say. This brings the aggregate target output to 400kW or 544bhp - right in the middle of Tesla territory.

imagine having an i5/i7 computer in the i5/i7

source:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/bmw/bmw-i5i7-scoop-target-tesla-model-s/

i5/i7? Silicone lottery for cars now...?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

Inb4 Intel asks BMW to rename their cars.

Nah, just kidding.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Could of sworn that we knew this already...

nothing is going to beat Tesla and Elon Musk though.

Be care full what u say (this could mean absolutely nothing but still)

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/apple-employee-well-give-tesla-a-run-for-its-money-2015-2

Edit: after reading this it looks alot more plausible apple is working on a car :S

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/heres-more-evidence-that-apple-could-be-working-on-a-car-2015-2

I already ordered this new BMW i7 for my new PC... I heard that you can OC it from stock 160 km/h to 200 km/h if you got good wrench.

EDIT:

Also i5 has 4 wheels and i7 got 4 wheels with hyper threading?

while the bmws are nice the teslas just look nicer, i dunno how the specs are for both sides, i hope they all work together in order to push that industry forwards.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

yeah some only get upto 90k's

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I already ordered this new BMW i7 for my new PC... I heard that you can OC it from stock 160 km/h to 200 km/h if you got good wrench.

EDIT:

Also i5 has 4 wheels and i7 got 4 wheels with hyper threading?

i5 has 4 wheels, but i7 has double the rpm of the i5 (when the car is lifted)...

I just remembered that Audi has its A4 A6, and A8 sedans... how would they compete against the i5s and i7s?

i5 has 4 wheels, but i7 has double the rpm of the i5 (when the car is lifted)...

I just remembered that Audi has its A4 A6, and A8 sedans... how would they compete against the i5s and i7s?

Those A4, A6 and A8 are APUs.. they are slower but look a lot better.

Those A4, A6 and A8 are APUs.. they are slower but look a lot better.

I forgot that they use petrol instead of electricity so they're less efficient and run hot...

But still, an Audi is an Audi... ;)

Are they planning to sell also unlocked versions?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

Could of sworn that we knew this already...

nothing is going to beat Tesla and Elon Musk though.

BMW is already a well known and highly regarded brand though, which will aid them considerably in their success, whereas Tesla hasn't been around for very long so to many still has to prove itself.

Oh the computer joke that are possible because of this...

I'm glad to see another serious EV entry. The Leaf was a total flop and hybrids out there don't get you the capabilities of a full EV. I think Tesla has an edge in the technology, but BMW has a huge edge in terms of resources and production capacity.

I hope that Tesla opens up their supercharger network (I believe they said they'd do that), then i5/i7 owners could charge quickly on the go.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I want the Model 3 so badly.

I'd choose it over the BMW even if the i5/i7 was cheaper.

Assuming I have $35,000 by 2017, which I definitely won't. xD

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Not sure what Tesla's are made of but BMW does have a distinct advantage of being able to mass produce cheaper carbon fibre.

Surprisingly though, I value the Tesla name brand over BMW. For a petrol head like me, that is saying a lot.

The Karma was the better looking electric car, too bad they fell apart

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

So, when will the overclockable versions arrive.

Jokes aside, this is nice.

Just for comedic irony, I would like Intel to promptly sue BMW to prevent the use of the i5/i7 naming. Why? 

So BMW can grow up and come up with proper names for their cars that aren't arbitrary numbers that they pulled out of an interns ass. 

This will do well in Europe. I imagine this puts pressure on VW/Audi to get there's out. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Intel here, we want our i7's back. Yours sincerely, the law suit team!

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Just for comedic irony, I would like Intel to promptly sue BMW to prevent the use of the i5/i7 naming. Why? 

So BMW can grow up and come up with proper names for their cars that aren't arbitrary numbers that they pulled out of an interns ass. 

BMW usually to put the i at the end of the number, now they put it in the front.  Intel should do that too, put the i and the end of it.  :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list