MS is going to stop selling Windows 7 in 31. October (OEM)

WereCat

Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Sorry if repost I looked but I didnt found it in here.

Microsoft will stop selling Windows 7 on the end of this month 31. October 2014 for OEM. And Windows 8 (not 8.1) for Retail too.

End of sales refers to the date when a particular version of Windows is no longer shipped to retailers or Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). Examples of OEMS are Dell and Toshiba—PC manufacturers who often preinstall Windows software. When a version of Windows reaches its end of sales date, it's a good time to think about upgrading.

Personaly I dont care. I think that Windows 8.1 is supperior to Windows 7 in every way and I wouldnt return back to using it. I am patiently waiting for Windows 10 but I dont plan on installing TP.

Thankfully I have a spare key around.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

noooooooooo

i guess ill have to get it the "old fashioned way"

"I dont know what you are talking about". ;)

Shit, this is bad news for me. I still need to buy a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for my FSX build.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I have 3 licenses and will never go beyond 3 machines, so no worries here.  As long as they don't pull the plug on Win7 support, I'll stick with that.  Worst case scenario would be 8.1 with StartIsBack, although I'd rather switch to Linux.

I'm gonna stay with 7 until 10...probably...

I'm still stuck with 5mbps down, 0.35 up so I really hope I can avoid any cloud integration.

Sig under construction.

That's fine. I'm going to get 8.1 anyway, so stopping 7 won't bother me. It's really just an improved vista anyway, I prefer 8.1 with the classic shell to it than 7. I'm just surprised it's taken them this long to do this though.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I don't mind myself, it's not like there will be a heap of applications that won't run on 8 or 9 that ran flawlessly on 7. If for some reason my mobo randomly fails one day I'll probably wipe my Windows 7 SSD and put a fresh copy of 8.1 on there.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Not surprising. Windows 7 is getting older now, and Windows 10 is just around the corner. HOWEVER, since there is a lot of backlash around Windows 8.x (Some of it warranted, lots of it just Microsoft Bandwagon hate-train bs), I think it would have been smarter of Microsoft to continue Windows 7 sales until Windows 10 pre-sales have begun.

Although let's be honest, while there are SOME power users whom Windows 7 is better suited to their daily routine, for the vast majority of us, Windows 8.1 is perfectly fine. AT WORST, Windows 8.1 + Classic Start (Or your 3rd party Start Menu of choice) is perfectly sufficient. I'm a heavy power user, and I've been using Windows 8, and Windows 8.1, both with Classic Start, since practically launch. I use Windows 7 at work, and I can seamlessly switch between them.

I've been running the Windows 10 TP at home though since it came out, and I must say, it is shaping up to be the OS everyone always wanted.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

well at this point you should probably wait for 10, i do recommend you ditch 7 and go to 8.1 if you have the choice, it's not that bad once you get classic shell installed and everything setup

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

I don't understand why people don't like W8.? I've spent a few days with it already and it's not that bad. The metro interface takes some time to get used to, but overall it's not a bad OS (it's not perfect, but still not bad). Yes got startisback, but still not bad. But then again, I also liked Vista (W7 better, don't get me wrong). Oh well, everybody has their own opinion.

No worries on this. We're right around the corner from us all upping to Windows 10 anyway.

I don't understand why people don't like W8.? I've spent a few days with it already and it's not that bad. The metro interface takes some time to get used to, but overall it's not a bad OS (it's not perfect, but still not bad). Yes got startisback, but still not bad. But then again, I also liked Vista (W7 better, don't get me wrong). Oh well, everybody has their own opinion.

Its just hate bandwagon. Oh anf self fulfilling prophecies. They jump into the OS thinking "I hate this OS" and then the brain subconciously makes everything about the OS feel bad, even if it does the same thing. There are actual problems windows 8 used to have, 99% of windows 8 haters dont even know what those are, theyre just being stupid.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

honestly, i think its better this way, 7 doesn't need to become the next XP, i would be a bit disappointed about this if 10 wasn't announced, and its just a couple of month before full release, so its not that big of a deal, also 7 still has until 2019 before its completely left in the dark

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

All u saying "its around the corner", your definition of that is very different from mine.

Later next year is far away (anywhere between June-October 2015) and thats hell of a wait. Im not gonna run some beta OS. Prefer reliability.

Im on 7 now and probably will get 8.1 only if its cheap on G2A, otherwise i stick with 7 untill 10 is out.

Source:http://beta.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-10-release-date-price-news-and-features-1029245

"

The Technical Preview will end sharply on April 15 of next year, which conveniently leaves right off at...

Microsoft's Build 2015 conference next April, at which the company will talk more about Universal Apps and likely issue a Windows 10 release date.

Finally, the company promises that Windows 10 will ship to consumers and enterprise "later in the year" in 2015, Myerson said."

@AlexGoesHigh dont know where u got your info from but im sure its not "couple of monts to full release" but 6+ months.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Hope this breaks up the absoulty retarded hate bandwagon. Windows 8.1 is a fine OS, and lots of the hate was unjustified.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Hope this breaks up the absoulty retarded hate bandwagon. Windows 8.1 is a fine OS, and lots of the hate was unjustified.

I agree completely.

I was also hesitating to switch to 8.1 from 7 because all of that hate but then I decided to try it anyway and realized that I should keep away from bandwagons.

All u saying "its around the corner", your definition of that is very different from mine.

Later next year is far away (anywhere between June-October 2015) and thats hell of a wait. Im not gonna run some beta OS. Prefer reliability.

Im on 7 now and probably will get 8.1 only if its cheap on G2A, otherwise i stick with 7 untill 10 is out.

Source:http://beta.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-10-release-date-price-news-and-features-1029245

"

The Technical Preview will end sharply on April 15 of next year, which conveniently leaves right off at...

Microsoft's Build 2015 conference next April, at which the company will talk more about Universal Apps and likely issue a Windows 10 release date.

Finally, the company promises that Windows 10 will ship to consumers and enterprise "later in the year" in 2015, Myerson said."

@AlexGoesHigh dont know where u got your info from but im sure its not "couple of monts to full release" but 6+ months.

I think part of their decision is to try and avoid the XP debacle, where people clung to XP like a dying horse. Even today, there are still what, 20-25% of users worldwide still using XP?

Windows 7 is awesome - no doubt about it. But it's getting old, and we CANNOT afford another situation where a majority of people are using it 10 years after release. XP needed to die in a whole a long time ago. It was kickass for the time, but times change.

I do agree that it would be nice if Windows 10 release was a little closer though. Maybe a 3 month window?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Its just hate bandwagon. Oh anf self fulfilling prophecies. They jump into the OS thinking "I hate this OS" and then the brain subconciously makes everything about the OS feel bad, even if it does the same thing. There are actual problems windows 8 used to have, 99% of windows 8 haters dont even know what those are, theyre just being stupid.

Agreed. The only thing I don't like abotu W8 is the lack of gadgets.  I used it for Daemon Tools...But I think I can get over it. 

I have 3 licenses and will never go beyond 3 machines, so no worries here.  As long as they don't pull the plug on Win7 support, I'll stick with that.  Worst case scenario would be 8.1 with StartIsBack, although I'd rather switch to Linux.

They shouldn't drop Win7 support soon as they only just stopped supporting XP, they still have to go through Vista, oh wait, that wouldn't take long as nobody uses Vista by choice any more, so that could happen at any point.

EDT: I should clarify my earlier self, I meant extended support, not main stream. Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by Alexp10v2

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

They shouldn't drop Win7 support soon as they only just stopped supporting XP, they still have to go through Vista, oh wait, that wouldn't take long as nobody uses Vista by choice any more, so that could happen at any point

Huh?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/lifecycle

Windows 7 *

End of Mainstream Support   

January 13, 2015

End of Extended Support

January 14, 2020

Windows 7 mainstream support ends in January, which means no new features added after (which makes perfect sense, it's an old OS with a new OS already out, and another new OS due next year).

Extended support is until 2020. That means that Microsoft is still supporting Windows 7 for another FIVE YEARS! That includes security patches and bug fixes.

Could you perhaps clarify your statement?

Furthermore, Windows Vista Extended Support ends in 2 years. Mainstream support ended way back in 2012.

They shouldn't drop Win7 support soon as they only just stopped supporting XP, they still have to go through Vista, oh wait, that wouldn't take long as nobody uses Vista by choice any more, so that could happen at any point

Vista support ends April 11, 2017, 7 support ends January 14, 2020, and 8.1 support ends January 10, 2023. Windows 10 support will most likely end in 2026 if nothing goes wrong.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Huh?

Windows 7 mainstream support ends in January, which means no new features added after (which makes perfect sense, it's an old OS with a new OS already out, and another new OS due next year).

Extended support is until 2020. That means that Microsoft is still supporting Windows 7 for another FIVE YEARS! That includes security patches and bug fixes.

Furthermore, Windows Vista Extended Support ends in 2 years. Mainstream support ended way back in 2012.

He just didn't know that MS publicly announces and publishes support end dates as soon as the OS is released.

Huh?

Extended support is until 2020. That means that Microsoft is still supporting Windows 7 for another FIVE YEARS! That includes security patches and bug fixes.

Sorry, I meant Extended Support, I will fix my earlier statement now. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)