Star Wars VII Will Be Shot on Film!

ionbasa

"Star Wars" and "Star Trek" director JJ Abrams says "Star Wars Episode VII" is proceeding "full steam ahead," and although somewhere along the line, he's fallen out of love with IMAX he has confirmed the new film will be shot on film.

Director J.J. Abrams, who recently signed on to direct the next installment in the Star Wars series, has shot his movies exclusively in film — and it turns out that won't be changing any time soon. Boba Fett Fan Club reports that cinematographer Dan Mindel discussed the use of Kodak film on the set of Episode VII at an industry event in Los Angeles this week, a bold move more than a half-decade after 4K digital shooting first became practical. Episodes II and III were shot digitally, so Abrams' decision is a return to the old school — he may be looking to preserve the look and feel of the original three movies.

Sources:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1026_3-57617472/jj-abrams-falls-out-of-love-with-imax-new-star-wars-movie-to-be-shot-on-film/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/23/4649720/analog-strikes-back-next-star-wars-to-be-shot-on-film-not-digital

Personally I think this is interesting and ironic given that paramount is making a switch over to digital: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/104270-paramount-makes-the-switch-from-film-to-all-digital/

But at least we get similar film 'quality' such as the original trilogy. Also generally speaking film can always be up-scaled to digital later on, I believe 35mm is somewhere in the 2.5k-4k range without sacrificing too much detail in the actual image. Personally I like the idea of media being shot on film, and then projected digitally.  

So what are your opinions and though?

Is JJ Abrams making a mistake by not filming digitally, or is he staying true to the look and feel of the original trilogy?

EDIT:

People suspected this to be true a few months ago, but JJ Abrams confirmed people suspicions two days ago.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

there are still many movies shot in 35mm im confused as to why its a surprise 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Film is still a great medium but does add yet another step to production as it has to be "digitalized ". It can be discussed to death whether or not the 24fps film standard is better than higher framerate digital capture or not but I do personally think that it possesses something that the "new look" just don't have. I personally do all my video in 24fps as well, it just works and gives your production the cinematic look that we have gotten so used to.

Such old news...

Read the edit, it was confirmed by Abrams two days ago, those previous statements were mostly assumptions from last year.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Film is still a great medium but does add yet another step to production as it has to be "digitalized ". It can be discussed to death whether or not the 24fps film standard is better than higher framerate digital capture or not but I do personally think that it possesses something that the "new look" just don't have. I personally do all my video in 24fps as well, it just works and gives your production the cinematic look that we have gotten so used to.

I argued sooo much that the HFR versions of movies are better, that it's just gonna be the same film but smoother. Then I saw the Hobbit in 48FPS and I'm never, ever going to see another movie in HFR as long as I can help it. I don't know how, but more frames somehow make the movie look sooo shitty.

Good, I like the look of film better.  Film captures everything, none of the frames are interpolated.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

Shooting on film is fine. Dark Knight rises was shot on film.

Since this is Star Wars I'm sure a lot of the shots will include CGI, which means we will be seeing a mix of film and digital in the final shot.

I argued sooo much that the HFR versions of movies are better, that it's just gonna be the same film but smoother. Then I saw the Hobbit in 48FPS and I'm never, ever going to see another movie in HFR as long as I can help it. I don't know how, but more frames somehow make the movie look sooo shitty.

I actually had the opposite experience, it seemed realistic. like a real movie (The Hobbit) like I was there. it was more immersive.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

At first when watching the Hobbit, it almost made me feel un-easy for some reason. Probably not used to 48fps, although 60 and 30 don't bother me at all. The experience was similar to when I first watched 3d in movies, in that I got noxious.

Don´t know don't care, im not going to read, whatever they are doing i don't mind as long as they don't "Disney" the franchises and the old school nostalgia is there. 
I´ll be day 1 watching it on Cinema + Pre pre PRE order all DvD/BR´s ASAP

Such old news...

Nice avatar Baka and Test <3

Looked great to me, reminded me of a video game.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

It is also being made by Pixar. So it's gonna be crap.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I actually had the opposite experience, it seemed realistic. like a real movie (The Hobbit) like I was there. it was more immersive.

I agree that it seemed more realistic, but I think that's what I didn't like. It didn't feel like a movie anymore to me.

I agree that it seemed more realistic, but I think that's what I didn't like. It didn't feel like a movie anymore to me.

For me i watched both movies in both HFR and plain 2D, i watched the HFR first and when i was watching the 24 fps version it seemed to be missing something and in some parts very laggy. For me the HFR version is much much much better than the 2D version.

very noob questions from an experienced noob(me): film vs digital? whats the NOTICEABLE difference when watching a movie thats on film and one thats digital? 

MOOAR Fps in movies- is this like in games, where more is just better and smoother?

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

No it's not

Well one of the film is.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Good, I think it was part of the reason why episodes 1-3 were ruined. Returning to film is definitely the right call.

Remotely on topic with 24 versus higher framerate; freddiew did a neat trick on the VGHS season 2 - everything that was 'real world' was 24fps, and everything that was 'in game' vr style was 48fps-- much like the matrix where colour cast was used to identify real vs matrix, the framerate smoothing was neat to watch as a bit of a metaphor (games = higher framerate).

As for film versus digital - digital can be manipulated to look exactly like film, and having worked as a projectionist I can say digital is far superior medium to project.  Fact is they're gonna digitize the 35mm to do all the CG anyway, so it makes no sense to shoot on 35.

In a world where the blind leads the blind, who do you follow?

i5 3570K @ 4.3, Dual GTX780, 3x 1080 27" samsung cheap displays.

512 Samsung SSD with 1TB green, 2TB green, and 2x3TB Red, 4x4TB Red.

As for film versus digital - digital can be manipulated to look exactly like film, and having worked as a projectionist I can say digital is far superior medium to project.  Fact is they're gonna digitize the 35mm to do all the CG anyway, so it makes no sense to shoot on 35.

But wouldn't digitized film look still look like film? Even after digitization it won't look like it was shot digitally.

Also am I correct in assuming that all modern movies (even those shot on film) would also have a digital version stored (since it doesn't age).

Remotely on topic with 24 versus higher framerate; freddiew did a neat trick on the VGHS season 2 - everything that was 'real world' was 24fps, and everything that was 'in game' vr style was 48fps-- much like the matrix where colour cast was used to identify real vs matrix, the framerate smoothing was neat to watch as a bit of a metaphor (games = higher framerate).

Not really you would just be adding grain on top of noise, there is a big difference. Film has a lot more dynamic range than digital and can be processed a lot more effectively prior to post production and although it will still be converted, the lack of digital artifacts prior to encoding really do help with the final look. 

I was sorta wondering that myself. I was thinking for example, those scenes when the camera is panning around mountain tops, maybe directors just need to be aware that the fps is much higher so they should pan the cameras slower?