Apple to replace unresponsive iPhone X screens for free

We really need a solution to OLED's being so expensive in general. 

All these fancy phones. you drop it. you pay. big time.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

A solution already exists, it's called not buying something you can't really afford. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Nice to know well if my mom's iphone X does become like that within 3 years atleast I will know it be free of charge to get it replace Well it also wouldn't be strange if some other problems happpens in 3 years but it is a solid 3 years

i've had that on my iphone 7... sometimes the screen won't work and i have to lock it to make the screen turn off, and then unlock it again and then it will work. 

or is this something different...

She/Her

7 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

That type of coverage is pretty typical actually. Almost all their Mac programs are the same with 3 years of coverage after the initial date of purchase. 

Except that most of the programs came after so many years of use that many or most had already expired (leading to some extensions to that 3 year ideology).

This is much more time-responsive than previous replacement programs.

Anyways, still more surprised that they admitted to this one before/while still holding out that their failure in not under filling ICs was not related to touch disease. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Screen replacements aren't that expensive for most phones. They aren't even for iPhones when you look at third party sources (unfortunately much harder to find parts with Apple doing their best to shut that down).

For example:

If the digitizer and display itself are still working (which most of the time from a drop they would), the s9+ display glass replacement is 16 dollars on ebay.

If the digitizer/display is damaged, you are looking at 50-150 dollars depending on how old the phone is and how available the secondary parts are.

In fact, the part cost has almost nothing to do with OLED, and everything to do with the parts being available or not. Supply demand and all.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Yeah, screw Apple. I'd rather pay Rossmann a decent wage to fix it right.

19 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

f the digitizer and display itself are still working (which most of the time from a drop they would), the s9+ display glass replacement is 16 dollars on ebay.

You aren't going to be able to replace the front glass on an S9/+ with the curved edges and OLED panel. You will kill the display. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You aren't going to be able to replace the front glass on an S9/+ with the curved edges and OLED panel. You will kill the display. 

Has nothing to do with OLED or it being curved. It very difficult to replace just the glass on any phone. 

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Has nothing to do with OLED or it being curved. It very difficult to replace just the glass on any phone. 

yes, but OLED sub pixels are much easier to damage. Its not practical to replace the glass on any laminated display though you are right. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, 79wjd said:

A solution already exists, it's called not buying something you can't really afford. 

Well if you bought the phone or are making payments on it....obviously you can afford it. Pretty dumb to say if you cant pay to fix something, dont buy it. 

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

yes, but OLED sub pixels are much easier to damage. Its not practical to replace the glass on any laminated display though you are right. 

5 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

It isn't that hard. Just requires patience. Freezing (and heating heh) works very well, and glass separation is done so often that many "near mint" used devices on secondary markets are glass replaced (particularly on iPhones due to ID chip integration and bans on "counterfeit parts").

Had to ask for a refund on one at one point because you can tell the reseller did a very haphazard job (pentalobe screws missing, edge of display showing signs of imperfect reglue of device etc).

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

8 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Well if you bought the phone or are making payments on it....obviously you can afford it. Pretty dumb to say if you cant pay to fix something, dont buy it. 

No, it's really not. You can't afford a luxury good if you can't pay to fix it if something breaks -- a necessity (e.g. food, house/apartment/etc...) is a different story. But buying a phone that you can't afford to replace is a horrible financial decision.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

16 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It includes Authorized Service Providers so do you mean 3rd party non Authorized Service Providers? 

Yes although with literally every other company they would be considered 3rd party repair places.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

15 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

No, it's really not. You can't afford a luxury good if you can't pay to fix it if something breaks -- a necessity (e.g. food, house/apartment/etc...) is a different story. But buying a phone that you can't afford to replace is a horrible financial decision.

I dont understand you logic. Its like people here that save up for months to build a PC for say $1000. Then a week later ACCIDENTALLY knock over their cup and water spills on the case frying everything. So you'd basically call them an idiot for buying a PC then cant afford to fix. Essentially you are saying you need to save double on everything you buy. 

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I dont understand you logic. Its like people here that save up for months to build a PC for say $1000. Then a week later ACCIDENTALLY knock over their cup and water spills on the case frying everything. So you'd basically call them an idiot for buying a PC then cant afford to fix. Essentially you are saying you need to save double on everything you buy. 

Very much yes. In that scenario they can't actually afford a $1000 PC. They might choose to overextend their wallet to get something they want, but that doesn't mean they should or that it is actually in their budget.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Very much yes. In that scenario they can't actually afford a $1000 PC. They might choose to overextend their wallet to get something they want, but that doesn't mean they should or that it is actually in their budget.

I am not talking about people literally ignoring bills and buying a $1400 phone. Many people are just cheap and dont want to spend half the cost of the device to be repaired. 

18 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

wow, that's...very not apple. It's nice of them to cover stuff that's 2 years away from being "vintage" 

18 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

They probably need a bit of PR boost in their customer service department to be fair. 

They have so many programs like this. This isn't anything new. But some issues draws media attention way before Apple rolls out a program, hence Apple getting the label of  'shipping defective products'. This like most other, wasn't somehow caught by the "I hate Apple passengers"

18 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

That type of coverage is pretty typical actually. Almost all their Mac programs are the same with 3 years of coverage after the initial date of purchase. 

But Im pretty sure you have to buy that coverage as apple care, right? I mean this seams to apply to anyone who bought an X. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

But Im pretty sure you have to buy that coverage as apple care, right? I mean this seams to apply to anyone who bought an X. 

So there are two different things. There is a standard Apple Care warranty -- which you have to opt in for to get coverage for three years (otherwise you're defaulted to one year). And then there is what @DrMacintosh is referring to, which is a repair program that is added at a later date by Apple to cover some defect where that coverage is not dependant on Apple Care, but rather applies to everyone that experiences the defect.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

They have so many programs like this. This isn't anything new. But some issues draws media attention way before Apple rolls out a program, hence Apple getting the label of  'shipping defective products'. This like most other, wasn't somehow caught by the "I hate Apple passengers"

I know I get sent them in the email